Has Anyone Had Monovision Surgery?

Cowgirlup

NES Member
I went to the eye doc to ask about Lasik. He suggested monovision surgery instead if I wanted to go that route. I'm strongly right eye dominant and don't use my left eye for much more than peripheral vision. They would replace the lens in the left eye to be used for reading and up close vision.

The last few days I've been wearing a contact in my left eye to try it out before I take a more permanent step. I was wondering if anyone else has donr this or know someone who did and how it worked out for them.

I’ve worn monovision contacts for several years and they work pretty well. I didn’t know about monovision surgery. I have my annual eye appointment in about a month so I’m interested to see if others here have any experience with this.

The cost is about the same as Lasik. I was initially just wondering about Lasik since my left eye issues weren't age related and then he mentioned the other option.

I had the surgery done with a baseball 60 years ago. A friend threw the ball to me, realized that I was not looking, called my name and when I turned I “caught” the ball in my right eye. Ever since, I use the right eye for reading and left eye for distance. My Opthamologist said people pay to have what I have.

When I had Lasik surgery almost 20 years ago I opted for "monovision." My right eye was corrected for distance vision and my left for close vision. Did not work well for me, perhaps my brain could not compensate. I had my left eye redone for distance and use inexpensive reading glasses for close-up vision. Perhaps technology has improved since then. Good luck.

When I had Lasik surgery almost 20 years ago I opted for "monovision." My right eye was corrected for distance vision and my left for close vision. Did not work well for me, perhaps my brain could not compensate. I had my left eye redone for distance and use inexpensive reading glasses for close-up vision. Perhaps technology has improved since then. Good luck.

Can you elaborate a little on what didn't work? I've only been trying it for a few days with the contact. Sometimes I need to close my right eye to read something. Typing and texting area little bit of a challenge because I tend to miss the keys when using both eyes but it gets better later in the day.

Can you elaborate a little on what didn't work? I've only been trying it for a few days with the contact. Sometimes I need to close my right eye to read something. Typing and texting area little bit of a challenge because I tend to miss the keys when using both eyes but it gets better later in the day.
Basically, my vision was blurry at all distances unless I closed one eye, depending on whether I wanted to see something up close or far away. Some folks can adapt to that situation but I was just getting frustrated after a couple of months.

Thanks! I wasn't sure how to measure my success with this and I want to have realistic expectations.

Basically, my vision was blurry at all distances unless I closed one eye, depending on whether I wanted to see something up close or far away. Some folks can adapt to that situation but I was just getting frustrated after a couple of months.
Several years ago I tried monovision with contacts. Had a similar experience to yours, with the addition of headaches. Now I just use reading glasses. The Mr. even found me a high quality pair of eyepro with cheaters built in.

I had the lens's in both eye's replaced...cataracts. Basically 20/20 for the last 6 years. I choose to only need readers, but everything beyond 15-20 inches is great. I could not imagine one for close and one for far on the beach to try to figure out if the chickadees are wearing anything!

Monovision works out for most middle aged people. I had it done via LASIK 4 years ago and now I'm happy. Admittedly it took a few weeks for me to adapt. I kept noticing the near-focus eye blur when looking at distance and vice versa.

I didn't tolerate several trials of contact lens monovision, but at the urging of my surgeon I chose monovision LASIK. Prior to LASIK I was moderately near sighted in both eyes. The surgery slightly lengthened my focal point in my near eye to an appropriate reading distance. In other words an under correction from -3.50 to -1.00. If I we're not to have adapted I could have gotten an "enhancement" to end up plano (distance focused). But I'm currently enjoying good distance vision with very little dependence on reading glasses.

I had the lens's in both eye's replaced...cataracts. Basically 20/20 for the last 6 years. I choose to only need readers, but everything beyond 15-20 inches is great. I could not imagine one for close and one for far on the beach to try to figure out if the chickadees are wearing anything!

I think that because I was already mostly using my right eye for everything then the doc thinks it won't be too much of a change to just get the left one to work for reading. I had corrective glasses for a lazy eye when I was little so my eyes straightened out but never worked together. So far it's pretty good. Switched to the stronger option today and it's working really well for reading. The down side is that looking at my face in the mirror or anyone within 2-3 feet of me is like seeing them in a magnifying mirror. Really weird! Also the house looks like it needs more cleaning than I was previously aware of.:(

On the plus side I was doing yard work last night when a bug flew into my right eye and I could see with my left eye to get it out. I have a few more days of contacts to see how it goes.

I have worn contacts for 17 years and finally had Lasik done in November. Why did I wait so long? Anyway, they did monovision, but, this was only done after testing it out with trial contacts. Not everyone is able to do it. Your brain has to be able to identify what you are looking at and focus using the specific eye. If your brain can't do this well you will get headaches.

I love it though. My 3 tests after completion were reading the bill at the end of the night, scuba diving and then golf. It works really well for all.

Then in March of this year I got my LTC and have found shooting to be the biggest challenge so far. Granted I am a new shooter and have lots to learn, but focusing on the front sight was tough at first. With the help of dry firing I have figured out a way that allows my right eye (dominant) to focus much quicker and things are better. I will most likely change out sights soon as there isn't enough contrast for me when all 3 dots are white. I have a feeling if I am able to have a different color on the front sight it will help with the contrast.

If you contact trial works I would say do it.

I had cataract surgery in my right eye this past monday. My doctor put in a turic lens that also corrects my distance vision in that eye. When the time comes, the plan is to replace my left lens with one that corrects my near vision. End result will be distance vision in my right and close in y left eye. I have a follow up visit with my Dr tomorrow. PM me and I can fill you in with more details....

Update.

I had the surgery 2 weeks ago and so far I'm not happy with it. I wore a contact for a few months prior to the surgery to make sure I liked the combination and it worked well for me. I had a choice of 2 strengths and went with the stronger option and kept wearing it until the surgery so I would already be used to the change,

The doc had mentioned that he didn't want to over correct because he thought it wouldn't be a good combination. I several times told him I could not work with a weaker lens and said to o stronger rather than weaker when ordering the lens. Even the day I ordered and paid for the lens I left the same message. he ended up ordering a weaker lens. Shortly after surgery i could see the computer and read some printed material but not as well as with the contact. Now for the last 3 days it has gotten worse and I can barely read anything. He said there is an adjustment period but I can tell this lens is not strong enough. Giant waste of 3K if this doesn't resolve.

I'd be bitching him out and refusing to go into your own pocket for any additional cost to correct. It's bad enough that you might be looking at another procedure.

Funny timing, this bump. On the drive in this morning I decided that I was going to book the cataract surgery I've been putting off for a few months.

I was wearing contacts for distance for years.. since about 1994. Got to the age where I was needing contacts for distance, and reading glasses for near. Major PITA. Tried the one contact in one eye thing for about a month.. hated it. Got multifocal contacts about a month ago.. these are fantastic.. no more reading glasses needed..

My niece had a single lens replaced (cataract) over 2 months ago and said it is just starting to become "normal".
Not the same as you, but similar? I wish you the best and will pray for a perfect outcome.
~Matt

I had both lenses replaced due to cataracts about 8 years ago. Better than normal the next day and ever since. Both for distance over 18". That means that if my computer is 18" or more away, and not in my face, I don't need any glasses for far or near.

I have a feeling that "the surgery" was lasik as stated, and not a lens replacement.

Last edited:
Dang. Well, see if it settles in as he suggests it might. If it doesn't, have the real hard conversation about how he didn't listen.

That means that if my computer is 18" or more away, and not in my face, I don't need any glasses for far or near.

My mother used to tell me about two ways of going blind, and one of them was from sitting too close to the TV screen...

(I used to like to see Howdy's puppet wires...)

I was wearing contacts for distance for years.. since about 1994. Got to the age where I was needing contacts for distance, and reading glasses for near. Major PITA. Tried the one contact in one eye thing for about a month.. hated it. Got multifocal contacts about a month ago.. these are fantastic.. no more reading glasses needed..
I had perfect vision until presbyopia kicked in. Been using readers for a few years. Thinking of trying the multifocal contact route for correcting the near vision with no correction for distance. I understand there are a few different styles and they sure pretty highly recommended compared to the one contact (monovision) method.

I’m looking at something similar this myself.
One lens for distance and one multifocal that lets you pass on reading glasses. Sounds good on paper.
I spoke with my PCP about it, and his take was ,no one he knew that had that type of lens set up was happy with it.
Too hard for the brain to figure it out.

Last edited:
I had perfect vision until presbyopia kicked in. Been using readers for a few years. Thinking of trying the multifocal contact route for correcting the near vision with no correction for distance. I understand there are a few different styles and they sure pretty highly recommended compared to the one contact (monovision) method.
See above

I really would like to do it, for reading and shooting w/o cheaters,but I can’t find anyone that’s actually done it and is happy with it.

See above

I really would like to do it, for reading and shooting w/o cheaters,but I can’t find anyone that’s actually done it and is happy with it.
What I was thinking about was two multifocal contact lenses. They have concentric and others that look like bifocals or even progressive lenses with more weight on the bottom. Readers are a PIA. Haven't spoken to ophthalmologist yet, though. Just reading articles online.

ETA:
Top 5 Things To Know About Multifocal Contact Lenses

What I was thinking about was two multifocal contact lenses. They have concentric and others that look like bifocals or even progressive lenses with more weight on the bottom. Readers are a PIA. Haven't spoken to ophthalmologist yet, though. Just reading articles online.

ETA:
Top 5 Things To Know About Multifocal Contact Lenses
My optthamologist is all about it.
“Same one I gave my mother”
I have not had a chance to speak with her

I'd be bitching him out and refusing to go into your own pocket for any additional cost to correct. It's bad enough that you might be looking at another procedure.

Funny timing, this bump. On the drive in this morning I decided that I was going to book the cataract surgery I've been putting off for a few months.

I'm sure they all have their butts covered in all the fine print about what could go wrong and potential outcomes. Especially since I could at least the computer and some other print for a week and now it is worse. I'm hoping it comes back around to a tolerable level of sight forcing me to re-post that I was just impatient or something.

See above

I talked to several people who love it. I also had no problem with the high powered contact in one eye since my eyes never worked together anyway.

Back
Top Bottom