• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone had any dealings with the new natick police chief james hicks?

When he was hired I posed that question about 2A friendliness and got a yes, but no one commented on green cards. (stupid iPhone spellcheck)

Last edited:
O good, I was planning on going in to talk to him face to face, to see if he was willing to give them out. Good to know chances are I wont get thrown out of the station.

Just don't bring one of these anti-cop guys with you who feels the need to spout off constantly about how evil police are and paint every working cop as a "jack booted thug." They might not take kindly...

Just don't bring one of these anti-cop guys with you who feels the need to spout off constantly about how evil police are and paint every working cop as a "jack booted thug." They might not take kindly...

LOL I tend to assume the police are on my side and deal with them as such, I have met a few bad apples but most have been professional in my experience. I am a bit nervous to do this but I figure it can't hurt.

LOL I tend to assume the police are on my side and deal with them as such, I have met a few bad apples but most have been professional in my experience. I am a bit nervous to do this but I figure it can't hurt.

It seems so many people on this forum have the attitude that all cops are anti-gun owner, and really believe they're all lying, cheating, power tripping thugs. So should all cops treat all of them the same way in return? Of course not, but they paint them that way anyway.

Detective Arena was great when I applied for my LTC-A. Although Natick is listed here as a red town, I've found the officers I've dealt with to be good folks and haven't felt any tension or unwelcome concerning gun rights.

Last edited:
Detective Arena was great when I applied for my LTC-A. Although Natick is listed here as a red town, I've found the officer's I've dealt with to be good folks and haven't felt any tension or unwelcome concerning gun rights.
I have noticed the natick police dept or at least the ones I have talked to are VERY pro 2nd.

Natick being considered a red town has always surprise me

It seems so many people on this forum have the attitude that all cops are anti-gun owner, and really believe they're all lying, cheating, power tripping thugs. So should all cops treat all of them the same way in return? Of course not, but they paint them that way anyway.

Maybe you're confusing people commenting on posted articles where LEO's are in the wrong. Or maybe people are tired of begging the police department to exercise a god given right.

Go play on a highway.

Take a look at how a lot of the upper tiers are restricting the rights of a large portion of the population of the state, and then really ask yourself, are they on "my" side, or are they on their side and have no problem breaking down my door and shooting me because someone in my home might have sold some drugs.

They want people to be all huggy happy, then act professional and stop acting like thugs that are more interested in controlling than in serving and protecting.

When you are forced to witness CLEOs engaging in petty personal vendettas via civil penalties (removing people's rights) and worse yet, criminal charges, get back to me and try to argue with a straight face that all cops and all PDs are 100% right all of the time. If they were always in the right, we wouldn't need a court system.

In the meantime, I will continue to maintain there are some real good people in this world and some real cock suckers. PDs and the people that staff them are no exception to this rule. I like some, I dislike others and it's got nothing to do with them having a badge.

When you are forced to witness CLEOs engaging in petty personal vendettas via civil penalties (removing people's rights) and worse yet, criminal charges, get back to me and try to argue with a straight face that all cops and all PDs are 100% right all of the time. If they were always in the right, we wouldn't need a court system.

In the meantime, I will continue to maintain there are some real good people in this world and some real cock suckers. PDs and the people that staff them are no exception to this rule. I like some, I dislike others and it's got nothing to do with them having a badge.
+1

I agree but you have to admit the job does seem to attract a disproportionate amount of the bad ones, either that or because of the job they become jaded against the general public much worse than say the mailman does

I agree but you have to admit the job does seem to attract a disproportionate amount of the bad ones, either that or because of the job they become jaded against the general public much worse than say the mailman does

I remember the sheriff's test in Washoe, NV... once you passed an intelligence exam you got to have a full on background check, and then a mental/social/emotional workup. Do they do the same type of screening here?

I admit no such thing. It is not clear that there is any worse or better class of individual in that job. I would like to hope with background screening, etc that it is the opposite of what you say, but I have no proof of this.

This.
I think its the nature of the job in that they only see the dregs of society and normal people at their worst. After a while it drags you down and you get the slanted opinion and "us vs them" mentality. I know a bunch of great cops and have a lot of respect for them and their jobs... Just as as I know a bunch of jerks with badges.. Its the same in other public service professions (Firefighters/EMT's, but not so bad).
In general I have a "be nice to everyone until its time to not be nice" attitude.
Of course you could always look him in the eye, light up a Newport and dare him to turn you down.

This.
I think its the nature of the job in that they only see the dregs of society and normal people at their worst. After a while it drags you down and you get the slanted opinion and "us vs them" mentality. I know a bunch of great cops and have a lot of respect for them and their jobs... Just as as I know a bunch of jerks with badges.. Its the same in other public service professions (Firefighters/EMT's, but not so bad).
In general I have a "be nice to everyone until its time to not be nice" attitude.
Of course you could always look him in the eye, light up a Newport and dare him to turn you down.

I'd concur with this. I believe people to be self-centered by our nature (survival of the fittest and all), and I tend to have a pessimistic view of humans as creatures who will do the right thing. One of the reasons I left EMS was after dealing with the anchors of society 85% of my time, I just couldn't take it anymore. I was becoming more cynical and pessimistic and I knew it was time for a change. If you're a civil servant in Police/Fire/EMS, you're undoubtedly going to have those moments. That is where the good ones will really distinguish themselves from the bad ones, because they'll take a moment to step back and remember why they're there.
'

Maybe you're confusing people commenting on posted articles where LEO's are in the wrong. Or maybe people are tired of begging the police department to exercise a god given right.

If a cop is wrong, he's wrong. Whether he likes it or not. Because some cops don't do the right thing doesn't mean it's the norm. It's easy to blame the police department as a whole because a CLEO might be a ball buster about LTC's, but the fact of the matter is, the rank and file have little if any input about the issue.

Are trying to justify the way the police in this state decide who can and can not utilize their rights?

Again, you're generalizing. You think ANY rank and file patrolman thinks one second a day about your right to carry? Nope. It's not their job to decide if you can use your right to carry. You seem to think there's a big Pow wow where the cops hang out with the chief and discuss the second ammendment and how to infringe on it. It's just not the case.

I remember the sheriff's test in Washoe, NV... once you passed an intelligence exam you got to have a full on background check, and then a mental/social/emotional workup. Do they do the same type of screening here?

Yes. The psych alone is like a 4 hour written test, followed by an interview with a psychologist.

My personal dealings with cops have been nothing but positive, about guns but more often just other things in general. All the "NES" horror stories are just that, the worst of the worst wrt stories.

Mike

It seems so many people on this forum have the attitude that all cops are anti-gun owner, and really believe they're all lying, cheating, power tripping thugs.

Yup. One of the reasons I'm scarce on NES. It gets old. So far, hearing good things about new chief.

I admit no such thing. It is not clear that there is any worse or better class of individual in that job. I would like to hope with background screening, etc that it is the opposite of what you say, but I have no proof of this.

I think it's really a factor of how much damage one jerk can do. The vast majority of police work is neither heroic or abusive and, as such, never makes the newspaper or internet forums. One bad cop acting acting like a bully in LV can cast a shadow on their entire department.

It's like a turd in the punchbowl - nobody wants to take a sip from the clean side if there is a little piece floating on top, even if you assure them that 99% of the contents of the bowl is non-fecal.

Again, you're generalizing. You think ANY rank and file patrolman thinks one second a day about your right to carry? Nope. It's not their job to decide if you can use your right to carry. You seem to think there's a big Pow wow where the cops hang out with the chief and discuss the second ammendment and how to infringe on it. It's just not the case.

Probably not, but there are some chiefs in the state that operate along those lines. It isn't fictional.

I am a believer in that a person/group is responsible for the reputation they gain. It just doesn't happen. My dislike of LEO's revolves around their Union protecting anyone for almost any reason. We are kept telling cops doing bad things is 'not the norm' yet more and more officers are being busted for either corruption, crimes or for lack of a better word unprofessional actions.

They try and proclaim their union is a professional one, then it needs to act like one. At least down here in FL the Bar takes a VERY active role in making sure lawyers are acting on the up and up and have NO qualms about suspending or revoking one's ability to practice law in the state if their actions reflect very negatively on the profession.

I have met many LEOs who are a credit to their profession and count myself blessed that these men and women are there. But at the other time, I am thinking why the hell aren't some others at the very least kicked off the force for their actions.

Its not the publics job to change the way we look at LEO's. Its the LEO's job to act in ways to portray themselves in a positive and professional manner. Having a union fight tooth and nail to keep a cop who almost killed his partner on the force and out of jail is not the way to do it.

Back
Top Bottom