Has Anyone Done a Hunting Trip out to NY, PA, Virginia?

Me and some buddies are looking for a reasonable self guided type hunting trip for some deer and whatever else...bow and rifle.

If anyone has any experiences (good or bad) I'd like to know.

Me and some buddies are looking for a reasonable self guided type hunting trip for some deer and whatever else...bow and rifle.

If anyone has any experiences (good or bad) I'd like to know.

IMO those states don't offer much more than you can get here. If your taking a week off to hunt and willing to travel I'd go west. Hunt the Rockies. The west has millions of acres of public land open to all. I'm Montana bond this nov myself. Nothing back here can touch the open country spot and stalk whitetail and mule deer hunting out there. Good luck. Go big. If you need a little info to get you going feel free to send me a pm and ill get you headed in the right direction.

I spend a week every year in PA hunting with relatives who live there, I use it almost like a vacation to get away. I do agree with BigTimber, depending on where you are hunting it will be similar to here.

I have not hunted NY, but have hunted PA, MA, NH, VT, ME. If you have a great spot any of the places will do. If you don't have a great spot I would go to PA. Unless things have changed drastically, they have a much larger herd than New England (though the deer I have gotten there are smaller). Hunting in PA, I have never failed to see deer on a trip. PA also has a much better antlerless deer tag system so you are not shooting bucks only.

Dave

I've been going to PA for muzzleloader for the past 3 yrs with my stepfather. We mostly hunt the gamelands, some are small and some are huge. Almost always see deer but getting a good shot is a different story.

Thanks for the tips...we currently hunt NH and MA but wanted to do something different without crushing the bank account between flights, tags, lodging etc...We prefer the self hunt or semi guided type hunt.

VA deer are about the size of a good sized German shepherd... Not worth the trip - unless you want to try killing one with just a knife. I lived in the Hampton Roads area and could sometimes walk within 10 yards of them.

The cook forest area up in PA has rebounded pretty exponentially these past 10 -20 years with deer.

They have a solid antlerless system, but remember bolt action only in PA.

Edit: sorry bolt action, lever, and pump. Just no semi auto

Back
Top Bottom