• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone been to Gartman Arms on Route 1 lately?

I was in here a while ago and they were talking about expanding and modernizing into a regular gun shop? Has anyone been here recently? Its located on the South side of Route 1 in Wrentham just passed Gillette / Bass Pro.

+1 on the prices, but the place looks about 1000% better. You go in the side door now, not the one right at the top of the steps.

Doesn't look or smell anything like the old Gartman's. Still a lot of C&R inventory.

Went there last night, the guy who runs it (Jim) used to own Zero Hour when they were a good shop. He found my dads Christmas present for me and charged me a very reasonable price. ( ruger 10/22 sporter In a walnut stock $345 out the door)
He was friends with the original owner who had passed away and came out of retirement to help her get it up and running again. Ammo prices were high but I didn't think the gun prices were out of line, I bet many are from his personal collection at the moment he's trying to get more inventory.

Stopped in there today. Great collection of milsurps at decent prices along with plenty of modern stuff. All the high end type guns that made Zero Hour standout too.

I ended up grabbing a box of Czech VZ24 ammo just because it was rare and I had to have it. Old and rare lots of ammo are being put out as they get it.

good to hear, i miss zero hour going in there before Jim sold is what drove me to get my C&R and machine gun license, sadly affording a MG now is really tough.

Checked Gartman out for the first time despite being not that far from it for years. Reminded me of Zero Hour with the selection and since Jim works there. The store is very organized and clean. Ended up experiencing divine intervention since they had a used S+W 686-3 in good condition for a good price in the exact configuration I have been looking at for a while now. From what I saw prices were reasonable for some things and maybe on the high end for others but I didn't pay too much attention as I was mainly going in to gawk at the selection.

I thought that was Jim when I was there earlier today. The place did remind me of who Zero Hour used to be set up. I thought prices were high, but maybe that's just me. Someone in there was trash talking S&W and I noticed that they didn't have any new ones. Sig and Ruger, and even a Kahr. Some Milsurps, but they were high as well.

Nicely laid out shop, but I don't know that I'll be back there.

Checked Gartman out for the first time despite being not that far from it for years. Reminded me of Zero Hour with the selection and since Jim works there. The store is very organized and clean. Ended up experiencing divine intervention since they had a used S+W 686-3 in good condition for a good price in the exact configuration I have been looking at for a while now. From what I saw prices were reasonable for some things and maybe on the high end for others but I didn't pay too much attention as I was mainly going in to gawk at the selection.

I stopped in there the other day. I agree with the above that prices were okay at best. Right on par with say Bass Pro Shops down the street. For example, the Beretta 92 series were approx $50 higher than Mass Firearm school in Holliston, but they came with 13rd pre-ban mags. But same price cash or credit, so that saved me a trip to the bank and a withdrawal. I ended up making a purchase because I had been looking for something for a while, and he had it, so the small premium was worth getting what I wanted. But for any off the shelf gun, anything that any place is going stock, Four Seasons in Woburn is way way cheaper. I think they are just a little more willing to find guns that may fall in the "grey area" between the two mass lists. Oh well, I got what I wanted.

I picked up a Sig Sauer 1911 yesterday, I liked the shop, prices were descent on some things maybe a little high on others, had nice conversations with the 2 people working their. The owner dropped the price a little, I walked out happy. I don't get up that way to often but would stop again.

I didn't know what to make of this place from the outside. I thought it would be a hole in the wall shop. When I opened the door I was pleasantly surprised to find a large, clean, well stocked shop. I was greeted promptly and struck up a conversation with one of their employees. It ended up being the owner Jim and he was very friendly and helpful.

They had a good selection of military style rifles. I was in a hurry so I didn't notice if their prices were high or not on most items.
However they did have some Good Lower Open Clear Kickin prices on some harder to find handguns. I would recommend checking them out.

Last edited:
I drive past this shop all the time and finally stopped in today. I couldn't recommend it more. Stocked with milsurps to Tavors, all kinds of AKs and ARs. Lots to look at. I thought the prices were good, and all 3 guys there were extremely friendly and helpful. I scooped a sweet S&W 629 3" barrel at what i thought was a more than fair price, and that was before I saw the 2 extra sets of grips, speed loaders and DeSantis leather holster. Also gave me a great deal on some ammo for it.

4725.jpeg

Last edited:
That's funny, when I went in there they told me they hated S&W so much that they hated having any of them in the store. And I quote, " If you bring something in, in a blue box, the most we will give you for it is $100 for that piece of crap".

That's funny, when I went in there they told me they hated S&W so much that they hated having any of them in the store. And I quote, " If you bring something in, in a blue box, the most we will give you for it is $100 for that piece of crap".

LOL doesn't sound like the same place. They have a case full of beautiful blued vintage Smith revolvers in many calibers.

I wonder what happened then, they are right up the street from me, so it is the same place. Been going there since I was a little kid with my father, a lot has changed.

No, I did email them a question through their website about a month ago and still no response. Definitely won't be going there.

Ummm. Thanks, I never would have thought of that Fixxah.[rolleyes]

I did. No answer. So wrote an email. Anymore advice sir?

Didn not see that you had called. Give me a minute, I will try and think of something.

Last edited:
Probably called on a Sunday or Monday.

Emailing a busy store through a third party website is laziness.

Go to the store.

after working at a FFL for years, nothing is more frustrating than the guy who wants to know the inventory over the phone, or how much his trade is worth. This usually takes place when the store is full of people whom are buying, not tire kicking.

Last edited:
I haven't been there is 15 years. I remember the nice old guy. He was building 80% lowers and .50 barrels when I went in there. He was trying to sell me a cannon and a helicopter he had out back. It was a weird place.

Back
Top Bottom