• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Has anyone actually got a call/visit from the ATF?

You can buy them, but the FFL must file a separate form if you buy multiple pistols within five days of each other. Nominally it's intended to help track black market/straw purchases/gunrunning, etc.
Just to be clear, if you buy more than 1 handgun from the same FFL within a five business day period, that FFL must file a Form 3310.4 with the ATF and copy the local CLEO. The purchases have to be from the same FFL (you could buy 10 guns the same day from 10 different FFLs and there would be no reporting requirement) and within 5 of the FFL’s normal business days (so for an FFL that was only open 1 day a week, that would be 5 weeks calendar time). It is a requirement put on the FFL, not you.

If the FFL is located in Arizona, California, New Mexico or Texas they must file a Form 3310.12 for certain rifles, besides the 3310.4 for handguns.

Many years ago when i went on a glock buying spree.... like 4 17s, god knows how many 19s, a few 26s, a few 21s, a few 30s, and a 42..

I got a nice visit from the ATF and a townie cop..

They asked for my records. I handed them a jumbled stack of papers.

They looked through it while we were outside my front door. I never let them in. Then he wanted to see them. I said sure let me bring them outside for you..

He then said oh nevermind. And goes on to tell me usually if people agree with that they are ok or some bullshit.

They were carrying sigs, and i was like oh that's too bad those look heavy to carry, you should get a glock or something to that affect.

At the time being a new gun owner, yes i will be the first to admit it, i was scared.

Little did they know when they first came to my door at like 7am i had a loaded glock 17 behind my back when i answered in a tank top and short shorts.

Wonder what they would have done if you told them to contact my attorney then shut the door in their face.

Not unlike cops: I wonder how many ATF agents are actually really good people that like their job and are just wanting to be good and fair at it, and how many others are power-tripping douche bags?
After 40+ years dicking around in this business I've never come across an ATF agent, guy or gal, who was a bonehead. Jack.

Got a visit once when someone else gave my name and personal info to police for some criminal offense
resulting in me becoming a PP suspect attempting to purchase a firearm.

Happened a second time only this time they called me.

Many years later when I renewed my C&R and I had to go down to my local PD
to meet up with an ATF investigator so I could be fingerprinted to verify my identity.

Another time was maybe 12-14 years ago and a number of people here with a C&R license (myself included), had to meet with
an ATF investigator to check bound books and any firearms purchased with the license.

Phone call from one... sold a guy a gun who did something shady in mass. They asked if I did I said yes but didn't keep the record of it. Made it overly clear I wanted to help and that was that

I am neither an ATF agent, Maura Healey, a decoy account for CrackPot, nor outing myself for some nefarious act I subconsciously want to be caught for doing. I'm just a curious new LTC holder wondering what level of engagement to expect with the ATF as a regular gun owner doing normal things like immediately spending all of my disposable income on firearms.

I am neither an ATF agent, Maura Healey, a decoy account for CrackPot, nor outing myself for some nefarious act I subconsciously want to be caught for doing. I'm just a curious new LTC holder wondering what level of engagement to expect with the ATF as a regular gun owner doing normal things like immediately spending all of my disposable income on firearms.
[laugh]
Welcome and join the club. At todays prices, it WILL take all your disposable income. 🤓

Not unlike cops: I wonder how many ATF agents are actually really good people that like their job and are just wanting to be good and fair at it, and how many others are power-tripping douche bags?
My guess is probably the same number as in whatever you do for a living or in any other occupation.

On several occasions I have purchased two or more handguns from the same FFL at the same time (if I’m going to go through the trouble of filling out a 4473, I want it to be worth my time). I have never been contacted by the ATF or anyone else about the purchases. I think as long as you are buying different types of guns and not 5 copies of the exact same thing I doubt if you will hear from them. For example one time I bought a revolver, a 1911 and another semiautomatic from the same FFL at the same time, didn’t hear a thing.

Licensees must report the sale of two or more handguns if they occur at the same time or within five consecutive business days of each other.
Interesting side note to that. That 5 business days is related to the FFL's actual hours of business and not actual days. Some FFL's state their business hours as say Wednesday from 3:00-4:00 so 5 business days would actually be 5 weeks in that FFL's case.

There was a young lady from Weymouth IIRC who was a member years ago. She was dating a cop and bragged incessantly about all the Glocks she was buying. I think her name was Sara but I don't recall her NES handle.

She use to post pictures of her "bargaining shirt"... a low cut shirt that showed off her assets.

And then the ATF showed up. Not sure what happened to her or the cop boyfriend but IIRC she got in some shit.

Anyone remember her?

ETA:

Found her. Screen name "Interceptor"...

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 3.03.45 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-02-09 at 3.00.20 PM.png

Last edited:
I wonder if any members have been visited recently because of the whole p80 BBS kit fiasco.
and they would know about them how? i'm not gonna tell.
The have the customer lists from the P80 company. ... they were raided and computers seized.
ah, didn't know this.
thumb_well-bye-powersboothe-should-get-this-line-on-his-tombstone-21410578.png

Many years ago ... I got a nice visit from the ATF and a townie cop..
Little did they know when they first came to my door at like 7am ...
Wonder what they would have done if you told them to contact my attorney then shut the door in their face.
Asked the townie cop "where's a good breakfast joint?".

After 40+ years dicking around in this business I've never come across an ATF agent, guy or gal, who was a bonehead.
The Acton Fortune-Telling Licensing Board warned them.

I'm just a curious new LTC holder wondering what level of engagement to expect with the ATF as a regular gun owner doing normal things like immediately spending all of my disposable income on firearms.
If they do contact you,
be sure to ask 'em where's their go-to place for ammo.

My experience
ATF visits will have nothing to do with alcohol or tobacco👮‍♀️
ae6fde_f13898ab2b54405cbd8b1b2f92c1b1f4~mv2.jpg

On several occasions I have purchased two or more handguns from the same FFL at the same time (if I’m going to go through the trouble of filling out a 4473, I want it to be worth my time). I have never been contacted by the ATF or anyone else about the purchases. I think as long as you are buying different types of guns and not 5 copies of the exact same thing I doubt if you will hear from them. For example one time I bought a revolver, a 1911 and another semiautomatic from the same FFL at the same time, didn’t hear a thing.

Protip: if you're doing a mass buy of a shitload of handguns, a smart FFL will include an addendum to the MHP form explaining "why". This probably helps the BATFE people not throw a nutty
when they see an MHP form come through with a shitload of guns on it. This kind of thing is pretty common when someone is getting an estate, or getting a bunch of guns from someone who lost their license. Several years ago a friend lost his LTC and I ended up with a dozen handguns (or more? I forget) on an MHP form. No visit or calls from ATF.

I got a nice visit from the ATF and a townie cop..

They asked for my records. I handed them a jumbled stack of papers.

They looked through it while we were outside my front door. I never let them in. Then he wanted to see them. I said sure let me bring them outside for you..

He then said oh nevermind. And goes on to tell me usually if people agree with that they are ok or some bullshit.

They were carrying sigs, and i was like oh that's too bad those look heavy to carry, you should get a glock or something to that affect.

At the time being a new gun owner, yes i will be the first to admit it, i was scared.

Little did they know when they first came to my door at like 7am i had a loaded glock 17 behind my back when i answered in a tank top and short shorts.
wonder why they were asking for paperwork? If they were at your house they had the paperwork and I may be wrong but an individual has no obligation of record keeping. Maybe just a test question to see if you get nervous

Protip: if you're doing a mass buy of a shitload of handguns, a smart FFL will include an addendum to the MHP form explaining "why". This probably helps the BATFE people not throw a nutty
when they see an MHP form come through with a shitload of guns on it. This kind of thing is pretty common when someone is getting an estate, or getting a bunch of guns from someone who lost their license. Several years ago a friend lost his LTC and I ended up with a dozen handguns (or more? I forget) on an MHP form. No visit or calls from ATF.
what about when they put "customer had to get away from his wife's latest pyramid scheme-ish selling flowery smelly girly crap party and just impulse bought half of my display rack so he wouldn't have to go back home yet?"

wonder why they were asking for paperwork? If they were at your house they had the paperwork and I may be wrong but an individual has no obligation of record keeping. Maybe just a test question to see if you get nervous
Oh at the time i was nervous as heck. Being that new naive gun owner who followed all the rules and regs.. now...

Bought 10 Raven .25 autos once...$32 each out the door, about 38 years ago.

I had 5 copies of the same thing transferred at once. I think the custom serial numbers like "1911", "45ACP", etc. were enough of a clue to whomever examined the form to be satisfied without a visit as I never heard anything about it.

Same, plus my FFL gives a discount on transfers, so to get two guns it drops the price to $10/each. The only time I bought multiples of the same thing was some Anderson lowers that were on sale. I never got a call and figured that it's so common the ATF doesn't care, plus those go as a "firearm" not a handgun in the 4473.

Also if it is being shipped into the ffl once the 4473 is done on whatever day is that date used as the after 5 days or when the shop receives in pistol but the 4473 has not been done yet?
Whatever the remote does is absolutely meaningless it matters only when you're doing a BG check to ultimately take possession. The "clock" is demarcated by the NICS submission date... it doesn't start until you sign.

Back
Top Bottom