Has anybody seen Varget in the world?

JRT

NES Member
Probably a dumb question in this insane purchasing environment, but I'm in a bind. I foolishly made the error to only use Vaget to work up my 6mm GT loads for PRS. The season has barely begun and I have used my last grain of Varget. I know its available on Gun Broker but paying $1,000 or more for 8 pounds of powder is not happening, I will sit out or use another rifle. Also, to the more experienced loaders, what is a good choice to rework my recipes. I was told Reloder 16 but that seems unobtainium. I have 8 pounds of Staball 6.5 I'm going to start to play with this weekend.

Edit: Shit, this was supposed to be in reloading, sorry.

Theres probably at least 6 powders around that varget burn rate you after. Varget even in normal times comes and goes , its all dependent of production and popularity

CFE 223 - is pretty close to varget, now thats from 223 rem
Theres a few IMR powders that might fit the bill also

I don't know about your caliber, but in 223, good loads can be made with 4895, RE15, N140, N540, 8208, and many more. They must all be around the same burn rate.

I don't know about your caliber, but in 223, good loads can be made with 4895, RE15, N140, N540, 8208, and many more. They must all be around the same burn rate.
I only know one shooter of 6mm Dasher and hes shooting 100-105 gn bullets so its like 223 with 80-90s but with some more case capacity. I forget what he uses

Haven't seen varget in a bit but I saw vihtavuori at CCGW this weekend. Theres also someone trading CFE 223 for CFE pistol. Been thinking about that deal myself, I got a pound of Pistol I could spare right now, however, I almost never shoot my .223.

If I did shoot my .223 though I wouldn't have enough powder to reload all my primers I have on hand and I shoot my pistol all the time.

I only know one shooter of 6mm Dasher and hes shooting 100-105 gn bullets so its like 223 with 80-90s but with some more case capacity. I forget what he uses
When I made the switch from 6.5 I looked at 6mm Dasher and I was originally going in that direction. I borrowed a rifle and had some feeding issues which I guess are a thing with that short cartridge. It also was probably amplified by it being not my rifle and unfamiliar. I'm unfortunately the type of shooter that doesn't recover well from equipment issues and I ended up with 6 GT. The brass is easy to get (mostly) and its very flat and reasonably stable, mostly I love it because its a soft shooter.

When I made the switch from 6.5 I looked at 6mm Dasher and I was originally going in that direction. I borrowed a rifle and had some feeding issues which I guess are a thing with that short cartridge. It also was probably amplified by it being not my rifle and unfamiliar. I'm unfortunately the type of shooter that doesn't recover well from equipment issues and I ended up with 6 GT. The brass is easy to get (mostly) and its very flat and reasonably stable, mostly I love it because its a soft shooter.
I have just a few BR shooters around me.
Go back a few couple more years and I was surounded by wild cat shooters.
The only active guy I know shoots 6 dasher which is not to different than 6 GT.
I texted him , he runs a 105 berger with N150 hes looking for RS powder but im not even sure if swiss RS powder is here in the states. He also said he uses Norma when he can find it ?

I have just a few BR shooters around me.
Go back a few couple more years and I was surounded by wild cat shooters.
The only active guy I know shoots 6 dasher which is not to different than 6 GT.
I texted him , he runs a 105 berger with N150 hes looking for RS powder but im not even sure if swiss RS powder is here in the states. He also said he uses Norma when he can find it ?
I love that 105 Berger Hybrid bullet! I had it dialed in where the bullet was better than my skills with 34.2 Varget. I'm going to try this Staball and the N150 and see where it takes me. Thank you for weighing in, your knowledge and many others on this site is deep and I appreciate your help, you have helped me before. I've been at his a little over two years now and I still have so much to learn. I look forward to classes opening up again soon, I see a few have started.

I love that 105 Berger Hybrid bullet! I had it dialed in where the bullet was better than my skills with 34.2 Varget. I'm going to try this Staball and the N150 and see where it takes me. Thank you for weighing in, your knowledge and many others on this site is deep and I appreciate your help, you have helped me before. I've been at his a little over two years now and I still have so much to learn. I look forward to classes opening up again soon, I see a few have started.

N150 is sort of an oddball, low-demand powder. Slow burning. I've been looking for some without much success to get going with 7.92x57. And by "without much success", I mean none.

Last edited by a moderator:
N150 is sort of an oddball, low-demand powder. Slow burning. I've been looking for some without much success to get going with 7.92x57.
I was thinking the same thing but for some reason I bought a pound in the past, I think it was on super sale at my LGS. I actually found some 6GT loads with N150 over at Sniper's Hide but they are mostly using heavier bullets, which makes sense. I don't see anybody running it on 105 BH bullets. I'm starting over, I will give it a try and see what happens. This is where the difference between the 6mm Dasher case and the 6mm GT case plays a role, Dasher is a short fat f***.

I was thinking the same thing but for some reason I bought a pound in the past, I think it was on super sale at my LGS. I actually found some 6GT loads with N150 over at Sniper's Hide but they are mostly using heavier bullets, which makes sense. I don't see anybody running it on 105 BH bullets. I'm starting over, I will give it a try and see what happens. This is where the difference between the 6mm Dasher case and the 6mm GT case plays a role, Dasher is a short fat f***.

Right, its a powder for heavier-than-average bullets. I'd be using it for 200gr 7.92 loads.

Good luck. You could try posting a WTB on Sniper's Hide.

I use Varget for my .223 loads. I love the way it meters in the Dillon 650 powder drop. If you were closer I would help you out (would have to check my stocks first come to think of it).

If I did not know this guy shooting 6mm dasher, He actually got a good deal on it.
the bedded the action and forgot to apply release agent , Hea going to shoot it until barrel is burnt.
He was a varget fan but not long ago it was hard to find so he says he worked up some goid loads with a few powders.
Says he likes 335 for the lighter bullets

Back
Top Bottom