Has anybody bought a car during this insanity?

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I think the 0 percent deals are all gone? but most companies offer decent cash back offers, and Interest rates are low lowlow. Paid the dealer go to DMV to transfer plates.
Bought in May $3k off MSRP 2020 4 runner 4x4
Hyundai and VW have it still, I'm sure others too. But often you can get a lower price if you decline the 0% and you might save money using a 2% credit union rate and lower discount on the car.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What interest rates are we seeing? The manufacturers are high (unless there is a deal) but BoA lists 2.69% and DCU 2.49% - any other info?
That's right around what we got a couple of months ago on a new Jeep. I think 7yr?

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
What interest rates are we seeing? The manufacturers are high (unless there is a deal) but BoA lists 2.69% and DCU 2.49% - any other info?
There are plenty of 0% rates from the OEMs that will be expiring soon. I saw 2.5% from Granite State CU.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The days when Toyotas were sticker are long gone. My wife and I bought a Rav 4 (4WD base model - nothing fancy) for $4500 below sticker last April. We had to get dealer financing to qualify for a $1K rebate, but paid it off in two months.

Last edited:

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think only Honda and Subaru (maybe Nissan not that they matter) jumped on the CVT bandwagon. They're cheap and great for gas mileage, but don't handle high HP and have reliability issues. Our Outback CVT failed at 99k miles, just within the extended warranty (due to many CVT failures).

They've improved a lot, the CVT in a 2020 Civic is as good as an ordinary slushbox (not a ZF 8 speed).
The CVT’s are everywhere it seems.

When my wife wanted a new car my only two “conditions” were no CVT and no timing belt. It was hard to find in 2016 when she bought the Mazda CX-5. I imagine it is harder still today.

We keep our vehicles for as long as possible and there is no sense in building in a $1k timing belt replacement bill and at the time CVT transmissions were having all kinds of trouble.

Bob

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
The CVT’s are everywhere it seems.

When my wife wanted a new car my only two “conditions” were no CVT and no timing belt. It was hard to find in 2016 when she bought the Mazda CX-5. I imagine it is harder still today.

We keep our vehicles for as long as possible and there is no sense in building in a $1k timing belt replacement bill and at the time CVT transmissions were having all kinds of trouble.

Bob
How is the cx 5 treating you. I've been looking at them (Used)

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is a great color. I hear about problems with it chipping though.
That is true. The paintjob is super thin, probably to save weight/costs. If it's that big of a deal, I would put paint protection film on the front end and have touch up paint handy. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How is the cx 5 treating you. I've been looking at them (Used)
She loves it.

Both the drivers and passengers bottom seat heaters went out on it and they were replaced under warranty. The heater is an integral part of the cushion on the Mazda. We don’t have a ton of mileage, 19K ish, on it as she has a short commute.

She really likes the sport mode for the on ramps and such. Get the bigger motor or you will feel under powered.

Bob

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
She loves it.

Both the drivers and passengers bottom seat heaters went out on it and they were replaced under warranty. The heater is an integral part of the cushion on the Mazda. We don’t have a ton of mileage, 19K ish, on it as she has a short commute.

She really likes the sport mode for the on ramps and such. Get the bigger motor or you will feel under powered.

Bob
I've been looking at the touring trim mostly but would go with grand touring if the price was right. I'm pretty much narrowed down to this car, have made some offers over the last couple of months but the dealers don't want to budge much from the advertised price. Thanks for the input!

HorizontalHunter

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've been looking at the touring trim mostly but would go with grand touring if the price was right. I'm pretty much narrowed down to this car, have made some offers over the last couple of months but the dealers don't want to budge much from the advertised price. Thanks for the input!
We went with the touring trim level. We actually bought a 2016.5. The second half of the year the came with heated seats and in dash navigation.

We ended up buying in Hartford. Nobody would budge on the price here. Balise wouldn’t even match the price. I have had good service from them though.

Bob

Danor

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
We went with the touring trim level. We actually bought a 2016.5. The second half of the year the came with heated seats and in dash navigation.

We ended up buying in Hartford. Nobody would budge on the price here. Balise wouldn’t even match the price. I have had good service from them though.

Bob
Thanks, good to know about the 2016.5 changes

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Waiting for my new [built to order] truck to get to the dealership now. I started the ball rolling in early February, before the union strike and shutdown of the factory for the Wu-Tang Flu. It's expected to arrive this week (hoping either today or tomorrow). It will then get LineX applied to the bed as well as an extra item installed. Really hope to be able to pick it up before EOD Thursday (I'm off that day) so that I have it for the long weekend).

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Buddy of mine bought a spanking new BMW X7 today. Friend of his called in a favor. Dealer needed to sell two more cars to hit a massive bonus, so my friend got some additional $$$ off. All told he said he paid $17k below sticker. Guess that "last day of the month" trick can work!

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Waiting for my new [built to order] truck to get to the dealership now. I started the ball rolling in early February, before the union strike and shutdown of the factory for the Wu-Tang Flu. It's expected to arrive this week (hoping either today or tomorrow). It will then get LineX applied to the bed as well as an extra item installed. Really hope to be able to pick it up before EOD Thursday (I'm off that day) so that I have it for the long weekend).
Is your current truck even a year old?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Buddy of mine bought a spanking new BMW X7 today. Friend of his called in a favor. Dealer needed to sell two more cars to hit a massive bonus, so my friend got some additional $$$ off. All told he said he paid $17k below sticker. Guess that "last day of the month" trick can work!
But he also lost the $17k in depreciation before he even left the parking lot [laugh] It's insane how fast high-end cars depreciate.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to the lot. haggle. then walk away. they will call you back with a better offer.
Not lately. I tried the last few months, to find a similar vehicle that two friends had bought this past year (2500hd, custom and Alaskan) for what they paid. With factories shut down they wouldn’t even come close. Drove way the duck down to a Chevy dealer in mass to buy an F350 lariat from a Chevy dealer, they didn’t want it, 25k miles, more than I wanted but how can you pass it up when it’s half off sticker?

Even new orders won’t be coming out till august. I was not ordering a truck for msrp. I walked from a lot of dealers, good credit, 10k cash in hand (I literally waved it around like some wrapper!) no call backs. f*** em.

Last edited:

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never understood the cash thing - why would the dealer care of you have cash or not? They'll get paid no matter what.
Money talks. In all other aspects of life, you want to pay with a fist full of cash, normally a discount can be had. Also, I did not want to finance the entire price paid.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've never understood the cash thing - why would the dealer care of you have cash or not? They'll get paid no matter what.
You would think eh?
Dealers are all about one thing: profit.

If you pay cash, dealers are missing out on the financing kickback they would otherwise get. NEVER tell them your method of payment. ONLY negotiate the price of the car and that’s it. They’ll use all sorts of tactics to squeeze vital information from you.

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have come to realize that buying a new car is going to be a timing thing. People still need cars, they are not making any new ones, so the ones on the lot are valuable (to someone). Dealers know this and will just sit on them until some sucker comes along.

I suspect the economy is going to really tank in another half a year or so. When all the people not paying rent are evicted, when every mom and pop store on main street that was struggling BEFORE the pandemic goes belly up, when the ludicrous run up in the stock market reverses...NOBODY is going to be spending money then. we will have to wait for that before we are going to be seeing amazing deals on cars.

Golddiggie

NES Member
Rating - 97.4%
37   1   0
Is your current truck even a year old?
Almost 1-1/2 years old. There was a promotion going on in February that I wanted to take advantage of. Due to the initial lag in getting the new one I made sure it would still be applied (expired at the start of March). Waiting to see what the July incentives will be that will get applied as well. Since I've not gotten the call that it's ready for me.

Top Bottom