Has anybody bought a car during this insanity?

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
You'll have to narrow it down for us... Do you want practicality? Comfort? Handling? AWD for the winter? Reliability?

Some new automatics are quite good, some are not. For example, DSG in VWs is great and the ZF8 in a lot of Chrysler products is almost as good. Ford automatics leave much to be desired but still better than most of the Japanese offerings. CVT is always crap.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
CVT is what everything is going to. My daughter's CRV has it. While it's odd to not judge your speed based on the engine noise anymore, it works just fine. It actually accelerates pretty quickly at a fairly low RPM. Honda has been fielding them for. . . what. . . . 5 years or more?

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I know: used makes $ense, but sometimes i just want new, no bs. I want fun to drive on the roads (98%) but need to get back into spots during the fall winter (2%).

Looking at vw gti and the like.
I bought my very first brand-spanking new car in December: 2019 GTI Autobahn, stick, fully decked out, more technology than I can deal with. Such a lovely car to drive. I think you can steal a 2019 Autobahn at this point. Dealers just want them off the lot. Hit me up. We'll fly around with music full blast.

Last edited:

ront02769

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter just bought a certified rav 4 Xle. Taking into account what she got for trade in on her piece of crap08 corolla with 150k miles she did quite well. Of course she walked out of the place twice....and let them stick in an extended warranty to get the price down.....said warranty which she had them take off at the final paper signing.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
CVT is what everything is going to. My daughter's CRV has it. While it's odd to not judge your speed based on the engine noise anymore, it works just fine. It actually accelerates pretty quickly at a fairly low RPM. Honda has been fielding them for. . . what. . . . 5 years or more?
I think only Honda and Subaru (maybe Nissan not that they matter) jumped on the CVT bandwagon. They're cheap and great for gas mileage, but don't handle high HP and have reliability issues. Our Outback CVT failed at 99k miles, just within the extended warranty (due to many CVT failures).

They've improved a lot, the CVT in a 2020 Civic is as good as an ordinary slushbox (not a ZF 8 speed).

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I bought my very first brand-spanking new car in December: 2019 GTI Autobahn, stick, fully decked out, more technology than I can deal with. Such a lovely car to drive. I think you can steal a 2019 Autobahn at this point. Dealers just want them off the lot. Hit me up. We'll fly around with music full blast.
I need to test drive a GTI again. Seems like you can get a 2019 SE w/ Experience Package for as much as $8k off if you don't get the 0% financing. $6k off with it. Not many color choices left on 2019s though, mostly white and black only.

I'm most likely going to buy a 2020 Civic Si sedan - they added LEDs and the Honda safety suite to 2020s, making it a bit of a steal at like $24k (discounted). Not as good as deal as a GTI but I put a ton of miles on my car, and may at any moment have to get rid of it, so depreciation is important.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I need to test drive a GTI again. Seems like you can get a 2019 SE w/ Experience Package for as much as $8k off if you don't get the 0% financing. $6k off with it. Not many color choices left on 2019s though, mostly white and black only.
The SE w/ Experience pack is the best bang for buck.
I'm most likely going to buy a 2020 Civic Si sedan - they added LEDs and the Honda safety suite to 2020s, making it a bit of a steal at like $24k (discounted). Not as good as deal as a GTI but I put a ton of miles on my car, and may at any moment have to get rid of it, so depreciation is important.
Came very close to choosing the Civic Si sedan. At $26k MSRP, you just can't beat it. MPG is incredible.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I actually sold a car I hated. (On Facebook) and took the cash to buy a car I like for my commute from a friend that bought a brand new civic. Kia Forte for my 100 mile commute everyday!!!

If you are near East Bridgewater, or it’s not too far a trek. Go stop by bob graham auto and talk with Dan (owner). He’s flat out the most honest mechanic you will ever meet. He really goes over the cars he’s willing to sell. And he will be straight up with you.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am trying to buy a new truck for my wifes fledgling business. Found a leftover 2019 Ram 1500 crew cab in Dartmouth. cant get anyone to give me a damn price via email.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I am trying to buy a new truck for my wifes fledgling business. Found a leftover 2019 Ram 1500 crew cab in Dartmouth. cant get anyone to give me a damn price via email.
Wife sold her Jeep for a 12k loss over 6 years and 70k miles. Bought a 2019 Ram with 15k miles for 20k under sticker. I ponied up $1600 for the 8/86 warranty. So far we are kicking ourselves for not getting a truck years ago. I can stretch my legs all the way out in the back row.

Attachments

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
go to the lot. haggle. then walk away. they will call you back with a better offer.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
Of course it works fine that vehicle is a slug.... anybody buying a CRV isn't really going to care... all the transmission in such a vehicle has to do is "not lurch" and it will be accepted by the buyer...

Grendizer138

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
go to the lot. haggle. then walk away. they will call you back with a better offer.
No they wont. Unless you’re buying a brown leftover model with roll-up windows, the old timer method of haggling is antiquated and useless.

In fact, that very Jeep/Ram dealership in Dartmouth never called me back and we were only $357 apart on a leftover 2016 Wrangler. I even went by and gave them one last chance before I drove 30 minutes to Raynham to buy a 2017.

OP: For what it’s worth, I had a much better experience at Raynham Jeep for my 2017 and an even bet experience at Stateline Jeep when I bought my 2020 Wrangler.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Resurrecting this. It's decision time and I'm stuck in analysis paralysis.

I don't see any smoking deals.

I know: used makes $ense, but sometimes i just want new, no bs. I want fun to drive on the roads (98%) but need to get back into spots during the fall winter (2%).

Stay with standard trans for fun, or are the new automatics/paddle shifters better?

Looking at vw gti and the like.

Help. Thanks!
So if you want fun, 6MT sub your choices are fairly limited:

VW GTI, GLI ($6-8k discounts left on 2019 GTIs but colors are mostly limited to white & black.)
Hyundai Elantra GT N-Line - it's like a GTI-lite- very high quality for the price, no safety features unless you get the automatic-only tech package which drives it up to $28k.
Civic Si, Sport hatch or Sport Touring hatch all come in 6MT and are fun to drive.
Mazda 3 hatchback 6MT Premium - very high quality but not as fun as the other ones above and pricey ($29k).
Hyundai Veloster N - the sportiest of this list but odd 3 door hatchback and interior is kind of low rent. But closer to Civic Type R than anything else here.

Of these the GTI/GLI and Si should be better in winter thanks to the LSD - but tires are more important. Snow tires + front LSD is pretty solid in snow.

There's more options on the used market like BMWs, used Mustang GT etc.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The SE w/ Experience pack is the best bang for buck.

Came very close to choosing the Civic Si sedan. At $26k MSRP, you just can't beat it. MPG is incredible.
I dont know what the Honda warranties are today, but 7-10 years ago I drove a Civic. For very little money, they offered an extended, transferable, bumper to bumper warranty to 120K miles. I dont think anyone can beat that warranty.

It was a great deal and I never had an issue with the car. But I only drove it until it had around 60-70K miles.

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
No they wont. Unless you’re buying a brown leftover model with roll-up windows, the old timer method of haggling is antiquated and useless.

In fact, that very Jeep/Ram dealership in Dartmouth never called me back and we were only $357 apart on a leftover 2016 Wrangler. I even went by and gave them one last chance before I drove 30 minutes to Raynham to buy a 2017.
LOL, of course it works, it works for me every time. But look at you, comparing to JEEP/RAM. Jeeps sell like water on a hot day. Dealerships sell used Jeeps for $2K less than new ones and people buy them. Of course those guys will not call you back.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Of these the GTI/GLI and Si should be better in winter thanks to the LSD - but tires are more important. Snow tires + front LSD is pretty solid in snow.
All true. I hate FWD with an open diff though, total garbage imo.

That said, I sold my FWD/LSD/6spd Acura this year because even on snow tires I couldn't get up my very steep driveway. Sucked it up and got an automatic but with AWD and honestly couldn't be happier. As an added bonus, my Fusion Sport is laughably faster than SIs and GTIs.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I dont know what the Honda warranties are today, but 7-10 years ago I drove a Civic. For very little money, they offered an extended, transferable, bumper to bumper warranty to 120K miles. I dont think anyone can beat that warranty.

It was a great deal and I never had an issue with the car. But I only drove it until it had around 60-70K miles.
Honda does have crazy cheap extended warranties - the dealer might ask $2000 for it, but you can find Honda dealers online who will sell it to you for like $800, for like 6 year 100k warranties.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
All true. I hate FWD with an open diff though, total garbage imo.

That said, I sold my FWD/LSD/6spd Acura this year because even on snow tires I couldn't get up my very steep driveway. Sucked it up and got an automatic but with AWD and honestly couldn't be happier. As an added bonus, my Fusion Sport is laughably faster than SIs and GTIs.
FWD Acura w/ LSD? Old TL? My Civic is open diff but solid in snow for anything but steep hills. For those you really need AWD w/ snow tires.

Fusion Sport w/ the twin turbo V6? Yeah, that should be a bit of a beast. The Si is a different animal - 2900 lbs makes it super responsive and fun, in the way your typical sport sedan just can't do anymore cause they weigh 3600 lbs.

Knob Creek

NES Member
Rating - 100%
75   0   0
My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with 187,000 miles on it. When she's not working from home (stupid virus) she has a 140 mile round trip to work. Nothing wrong with the car and it's got a new lease on life sitting in the driveway since March. But now she's waiting to see the new 2021 Genesis. Driving me crazy.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
My wife has a 2014 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid with 187,000 miles on it. When she's not working from home (stupid virus) she has a 140 mile round trip to work. Nothing wrong with the car and it's got a new lease on life sitting in the driveway since March. But now she's waiting to see the new 2021 Genesis. Driving me crazy.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
FWD Acura w/ LSD? Old TL?
Yes.

My Civic is open diff but solid in snow for anything but steep hills. For those you really need AWD w/ snow tires.
Yes.

Fusion Sport w/ the twin turbo V6?
Yes.

The Si is a different animal - 2900 lbs makes it super responsive and fun, in the way your typical sport sedan just can't do anymore cause they weigh 3600 lbs.
Yes. My Fusion is ~4100lbs, crazy heavy. Makes me miss the agility of my old Miata!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Fusions are sleds! My 2015 Malibu was pretty agile for a fleet spec car, the Fusion they replaced it with was terrible in comparison.
Yeah I'm not convinced that my Fusion corners better than our Grand Cherokee [laugh] It's got plenty of balls in a straight line though, which counts more on the public roads I drive on.

Grendizer138

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
LOL, of course it works, it works for me every time. But look at you, comparing to JEEP/RAM. Jeeps sell like water on a hot day. Dealerships sell used Jeeps for $2K less than new ones and people buy them. Of course those guys will not call you back.
Maybe. Or maybe you’re a bad negotiator and left enough margin on your initial visit that it was incentive for them to call you back.

You’re right that the popularity of the vehicle is a determining factor; probably not much incentive for them to negotiate on Wranglers, Tacomas, etc.

Top Bottom