Has anybody bought a car during this insanity?

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
No the WRX is not different than most other manual Subarus: it has a central clutch pack and is 50/50 torque distribution by default. If you are outside the spec for rolling diameter, you are causing excessive wear to that clutch pack. It's overall pretty robust.

The STI is a whole different animal, as are the older turbo and H6 Legacy/Outback, which had the much-more-sophisticated VTD drive system. The STI is a step above that. Honda CR-V and RAV4 should have an "AWD" label instead of AWD. Honda got sued over their system performance, and most RAV4 drivers are too uninvolved to understand it shuts off at speed.

VW Golf platform is fun and I time-trialed and rallied two of them over several years.

Compared to the terminal understeer you get with FWD? Not so much....There's a reason why Subaru totally dominates US Rallying.
That looks like its gonna hurt

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No the WRX is not different than most other manual Subarus: it has a central clutch pack and is 50/50 torque distribution by default. If you are outside the spec for rolling diameter, you are causing excessive wear to that clutch pack. It's overall pretty robust.

The STI is a whole different animal, as are the older turbo and H6 Legacy/Outback, which had the much-more-sophisticated VTD drive system. The STI is a step above that. Honda CR-V and RAV4 should have an "AWD" label instead of AWD. Honda got sued over their system performance, and most RAV4 drivers are too uninvolved to understand it shuts off at speed.

VW Golf platform is fun and I time-trialed and rallied two of them over several years.

Compared to the terminal understeer you get with FWD? Not so much....There's a reason why Subaru totally dominates US Rallying.
our 2002 WRX had a stock mechanical diff. It was the most amazing drift car in the snow. Not sure when the WRX stop having a center differential. Good ole days. :(

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Where are these good deals people keep claiming have to be there? My mother needs a new car soon so I thought I'd go look at the web sites of nearby dealers. Wow. Nothing but rape prices, as if they don't want any customers at all. No deals, and prices are all much higher than last year for the same thing.
call them or email them. Lots of rules with what they can advertise. You can likely get a deal. Just pick a number and keep working them. It's not like cars are flying off the lot. Course, I would suggest you buy "slightly used."

PennyPincher

NES Member
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I'm hoping to get a good price on a used Jeep in about a year. I figure by then, people will be really desperate with all the extended lockdowns etc. I really don't see the economy getting back to "normal" anytime soon.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I’ll never buy a daily driver that is not AWD/4WD. The only drawbacks are if you’re cheap.

But sNoW tIrEs oFfEr MoRe TrAcTiOn!!! Cool, so get snows for your 4wd/awd vehicle and you now have twice the traction when applying any power to to the ground than you did with snows on your 2WD car.

I agree that snows and decent driving can compensate for most situations in well manicured roads, but AWD is still objectively better at not getting stuck in adverse conditions, and putting power down in performance scenarios.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
What dealer?
Westborough. I initially contacted about a dozen dealerships, got a good offer from Norwood, took that offer to Westborough because I like them and have had a lot of experience with them, and they beat it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Westborough. I initially contacted about a dozen dealerships, got a good offer from Norwood, took that offer to Westborough because I like them and have had a lot of experience with them, and they beat it.
Was looking at the 2020 limited (lease) at Lawless prior to this..they wouldn’t budge on the price at all and I was only looking to shave about 20 per month off..

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Was looking at the 2020 limited (lease) at Lawless prior to this..they wouldn’t budge on the price at all and I was only looking to shave about 20 per month off..
You can find most rebate and discount info online and then negotiate with the dealership from there. At least you'll have a good ballpark figure. I agree with @BlackwaterFence as well - financing at a low rate ended up being cheaper than taking Chrysler's 0% interest deal.

El_Guapo77

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0

the wrx is an option for me when my current leased car is up although id have to learn How To drive a manual transmission 😅

Friday

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
You can find most rebate and discount info online and then negotiate with the dealership from there. At least you'll have a good ballpark figure. I agree with @BlackwaterFence as well - financing at a low rate ended up being cheaper than taking Chrysler's 0% interest deal.

Yeah, do the math. On my truck, a $4500 rebate was the same I'd pay in interest on a 4.18% loan. If you can beat the break-even interest rate, take the rebate and the loan. You'll come out ahead in the end. I usually pay off early anyway, so it ends up saving me even more.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
The other thing you could do is go with Chrysler Capital to get the $750 rebate and then refinance elsewhere right away.

SonOfAGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
the wrx is an option for me when my current leased car is up although id have to learn How To drive a manual transmission 😅

The newer generation has automatic options. But the WRX isn't so bad to learn on - I taught a handful of people on mine. Compared to other manual transmission cars I've driven, the clutch on the WRX is much more stiff and engaging. Some clutches (VW, Audi, non-performance Subarus) are on the softer side but the WRX will work your calves in traffic until you're used to it. At least, that was the case in my 2014. One thing I did hate though, was that there was no way to turn off the stupid hill assist. I never got used to it and ended up over-revving occasionally on hills as per my muscle memory. Again, may not be the case in newer models.

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I hated the WRX's clutch catch point so late and sudden. It was something I knew I would never get used to. I'm sure on the track it has its benefits, but I daily drive my cars.

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I’ll never buy a daily driver that is not AWD/4WD. The only drawbacks are if you’re cheap.

But sNoW tIrEs oFfEr MoRe TrAcTiOn!!! Cool, so get snows for your 4wd/awd vehicle and you now have twice the traction when applying any power to to the ground than you did with snows on your 2WD car.

I agree that snows and decent driving can compensate for most situations in well manicured roads, but AWD is still objectively better at not getting stuck in adverse conditions, and putting power down in performance scenarios.
The other drawbacks are weight and driving characteristics. Even in "performance scenarios", I prefer RWD as I'm not looking to set records but rather just have fun. The fun factor of a nice RWD sports car outweighs the traction benefit of a heavier AWD option imo.

The newer generation has automatic options. But the WRX isn't so bad to learn on - I taught a handful of people on mine. Compared to other manual transmission cars I've driven, the clutch on the WRX is much more stiff and engaging. Some clutches (VW, Audi, non-performance Subarus) are on the softer side but the WRX will work your calves in traffic until you're used to it. At least, that was the case in my 2014. One thing I did hate though, was that there was no way to turn off the stupid hill assist. I never got used to it and ended up over-revving occasionally on hills as per my muscle memory. Again, may not be the case in newer models.
The stock clutch on my brother's WRX is heavier than the performance clutch on my VW which is a decent amount heavier than the OEM clutch lol VW clutches are soft and "spongey" feeling even after removing the delay valve inside the bleeder block and the clutch assist spring under the pedal. This makes them perfect for a laid back leg press free commute but annoying for spirited driving in stock form.....regardless of intent, the stock clutch in the GTI/R is a piece of shit, it's weak as hell. Forget tuned cars, I had to replace mine on a stock car with under 1000 miles as it was slipping like crazy. Plenty of people have had issues with it slipping at unreasonably low miles.

While the WRX clutch seems solid in terms of holding power, I probably wouldn't want to daily one if I had a long commute in stop/go traffic, had some kind of left knee issue, was old, or generally skipped leg day. People put up with much worse on stronger aftermarket setups....but if you're chasing that kind of power, clutch stiffness is the least of your worries.

Last edited:

El_Guapo77

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The cvt from what I've read is not bad the 6 speed just happens to be more readily available

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a great dealer-deal on a lightly used truck in March. Get something that's on the lot now, because supply is drying up bigly. (CNBC did a story on this today.) Added bonus is there's no option to pay MA sales tax or transfer plates at the RMV until never, or until Tall Deval gets off his ass. Just make sure your insurance co. updates the policy.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Just got offered 20K for the wife's 6 year old Jeep with 70K. Cost us 32K 6 years ago. Currently leaning towards the used/CPO low mileage 2017-2018 GX460 route.

Anyone know how to register a vehicle in MA when living out of state with the military?

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Just got offered 20K for the wife's 6 year old Jeep with 70K. Cost us 32K 6 years ago. Currently leaning towards the used/CPO low mileage 2017-2018 GX460 route.

Anyone know how to register a vehicle in MA when living out of state with the military?
Why not register in Dixie and then transfer into MA later? If you want to try to beat MA sales tax, register in her name, then she "sells" it to you when you get to MA. Might or might not work. I'd be interested in hearing how the GX works out. It's on our radar.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Why not register in Dixie and then transfer into MA later? If you want to try to beat MA sales tax, register in her name, then she "sells" it to you when you get to MA. Might or might not work. I'd be interested in hearing how the GX works out. It's on our radar.
It’s certainly an option to explore. I think sales tax is 2-4% depending on county down here when you buy a vehicle. Not sure how it works used/if it’s at point of registration, etc.

I’ve been doing a lot of reading on the GX. Seems it’s largely unchanged since 2010, so there’s some mild butthurt over lack of CarPlay, older interior design, etc. On the other hand it’s apparently bulletproof, a beast off road etc.

From my pricing research it seems that good deals have you sitting around 50% of MSRP give or take for a 2017 with ~30k miles. It seems like the price more or less stabilizes and slows from there.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will take you about a 15 minute lesson to learn then a week or so of daily driving to practice, at which point it's like you've been driving a stick for years.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It will take you about a 15 minute lesson to learn then a week or so of daily driving to practice, at which point it's like you've been driving a stick for years.
My boss / stepfather drove around the block and explained it to me. Then got out of the car and set me free to figure it out. It was fairly ugly, but it was an 80s Chevette in the early 90s, so it was only worth about $12.00

SKumar

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Careful when shopping for manual cars. The car itself may be great, but if the stick sucks it'll hamper the entire driving experience.

Chris M.

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Resurrecting this. It's decision time and I'm stuck in analysis paralysis.

I don't see any smoking deals.

I know: used makes $ense, but sometimes i just want new, no bs. I want fun to drive on the roads (98%) but need to get back into spots during the fall winter (2%).

Stay with standard trans for fun, or are the new automatics/paddle shifters better?

Looking at vw gti and the like.

Help. Thanks!

Top Bottom