Has anybody bought a car during this insanity?

andy t

NES Member
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
My dad's car is getting close to expiry and we are thinking of getting a replacement - probably either cert preowned or new. Has anybody has experience purchasing cars in today's climate? How willing are the dealerships to bend?

SonOfAGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I traded in my WRX for a Golf R twoish weeks ago. Volkswagen has 0% APR, no payment for 180 days, and with the amount of cars on the lot they're accepting pretty low offers. I emailed a few dealerships in the area with the configuration I wanted and told them I'd take the lowest number amongst them. I was even offered above CarMax (my baseline) for my trade in. I didn't want the hassle of a private party sale, and people are unlikely to buy private party for a while.

A lot of manufacturers are offering similar terms (0% APR loans, deferred payments) so it's really a buyer's market at the moment, given the lack of normal foot traffic.

I needed to sign in person, but they delivered the car, gave me a folder with all the items that needed my signature highlighted, and he took my old car and drove off into the sunset. The salesman sanitized all normal touching surfaces and left me with sanitizer and wipes in the car to do it again as I saw fit. A really painless transaction.

SLG6056

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Bought a CPO from a dealer in NJ in January. They didn't "bend", but the pricing was right there. If you check all the major websites, you can get a good feel for what the car should cost.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I was looking at used Mustangs down here before I head north.
there was a 2019 Bullit Mustang, 2200 miles, 40 grand.... that is a lot of car for 40 grand.

there are deals out there if you want to look around

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I traded in my WRX for a Golf R twoish weeks ago. Volkswagen has 0% APR, no payment for 180 days, and with the amount of cars on the lot they're accepting pretty low offers. I emailed a few dealerships in the area with the configuration I wanted and told them I'd take the lowest number amongst them. I was even offered above CarMax (my baseline) for my trade in. I didn't want the hassle of a private party sale, and people are unlikely to buy private party for a while.

A lot of manufacturers are offering similar terms (0% APR loans, deferred payments) so it's really a buyer's market at the moment, given the lack of normal foot traffic.

I needed to sign in person, but they delivered the car, gave me a folder with all the items that needed my signature highlighted, and he took my old car and drove off into the sunset. The salesman sanitized all normal touching surfaces and left me with sanitizer and wipes in the car to do it again as I saw fit. A really painless transaction.
If you don't mind me asking, how much off MSRP can you get a Golf R these days? I'm always tempted by a GTI and only the small trunk keeps me from getting it (it'd be for work, and I carry a lot of crap).

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you don't mind me asking, how much off MSRP can you get a Golf R these days? I'm always tempted by a GTI and only the small trunk keeps me from getting it (it'd be for work, and I carry a lot of crap).
The R and GTI have same body/platform

Trunk/rear hatch space between the two is either identical OR they have slightly different slider/types of floors

Almost bought a GTI not long ago....looked at the R and considered the extra cost associated with the service of the AWD preriodically and maint then on top of that the nightmare associated with having to replace pairs or entire sets of tires when you get a flat......I will never buy an AWD car.....no point to it......a GTI with snows is more or less unstoppable

This is a great time to buy a car or truck if you're in the market

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t walked into a dealership since prior to this NBS all started. I walked twice, Jan and feb, but I am in the market for a truck, not a commuter vehicle. Website prices have increased, I’m sitting on my cash, f*** them.

SonOfAGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just shy of 10% off the window sticker. Normally I may not call that a deal, but the Golf R is almost never discounted at all, and is almost never part of the standard model promotions. If anything they're marked up over MSRP usually (Autotrader shows a handful still marked up). This was for an Indium Grey 6MT.

In terms of trunk space, thing is a world of difference for me coming from a WRX. I can fit both of my trash/recycling bins for trips to the transfer station. I can now actually carry boxes that previously caused me issues - a tool cabinet box, a propane grill box, etc. The salesman told me his tale of fitting a washing machine in it head first, naturally I dismissed that claim. I found the dimensions online of the Golf R and compared it the standard size of a washing machine... and the guy was right, it does fit. So while it may not be spacious enough for some (especially if you carry a lot of crap) but for me it fit the bill nicely. And it's a joy to drive.

Trunk/rear hatch space between the two is either identical OR they have slightly different slider/types of floors

Almost bought a GTI not long ago....looked at the R and considered the extra cost associated with the service of the AWD preriodically and maint then on top of that the nightmare associated with having to replace pairs or entire sets of tires when you get a flat......I will never buy an AWD car.....no point to it......a GTI with snows is more or less unstoppable

The extra cost associated with AWD is minimal compared to the extra cost of getting a DSG vs a 6MT. A haldex flush is ~$150, a DSG service is ~$400. That, and I'm perfectly capable of doing the drain and fill so I can cough up the extra $35 for fluid once every 30k. You're right though, it is indeed an added cost.

As for AWD, to each their own. I've owned Audi/Subaru AWD vehicles and had no problems moving through VT blizzards in 17" of snow to go snowboarding. Absolutely isn't necessary most of the time, or for what most people do in winter, agreed. But I drive a lot, really enjoy driving, and appreciate having all four wheels working to get me going when the weather would prefer I stayed.

The good thing about the haldex (which a lot of people see as a negative), is that the Golf R is pretty much full time FWD with power being diverted to the rear wheels when the situation dictates. You can feel this kick in taking some highway on ramps with speed. Given this, the gas mileage is much better than a full time AWD option like my WRX.

roccoracer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

I plan on buying a golf R at some point. How do you like ot so far?.

mjbitt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did two weeks ago. Never visited the dealer everything was done online through emails telephone calls. Took 3 weeks, I was in no hurry. If I did not like anything, I just said I’ll think about it. And always got a call back for a price change. I n the end both sides were happy. I will never visit a dealer again times haved changed everything is online worked out for both of us....... year old TAHOE 3rd one in since 99 p.s. shop around and get lowest rate if taking a loan they will match it in the end.

xjma99

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did two weeks ago. Never visited the dealer everything was done online through emails telephone calls. Took 3 weeks, I was in no hurry. If I did not like anything, I just said I’ll think about it. And always got a call back for a price change. I n the end both sides were happy. I will never visit a dealer again times haved changed everything is online worked out for both of us....... year old TAHOE 3rd one in since 99 p.s. shop around and get lowest rate if taking a loan they will match it in the end.
You didn’t get the zero percent financing?? Factory zero percent financing. I guess no payments too for a few months but I would not do that. I will pay 1/4-1/3 cash and finance the rest at 0% interest rate. Free money is free money!

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just shy of 10% off the window sticker. Normally I may not call that a deal, but the Golf R is almost never discounted at all, and is almost never part of the standard model promotions. If anything they're marked up over MSRP usually (Autotrader shows a handful still marked up). This was for an Indium Grey 6MT.

In terms of trunk space, thing is a world of difference for me coming from a WRX. I can fit both of my trash/recycling bins for trips to the transfer station. I can now actually carry boxes that previously caused me issues - a tool cabinet box, a propane grill box, etc. The salesman told me his tale of fitting a washing machine in it head first, naturally I dismissed that claim. I found the dimensions online of the Golf R and compared it the standard size of a washing machine... and the guy was right, it does fit. So while it may not be spacious enough for some (especially if you carry a lot of crap) but for me it fit the bill nicely. And it's a joy to drive.
Wow, $4k off a Golf R is amazing. And it closes the gap vs the GTI, which was just huge when the R was at sticker and GTI was $6k off. I know before the lockdown the local dealer had like 10 Rs on the lot, so I wondered when they'd start discounting. I'd guess a GTI is probably $7k off, though that's no better than before the virus.

My issue with the trunk is that I pick up my two kids every day so can't fold down the seats. With seats up the trunk is very small, which is why I went with the Civic hatch, which has a deep trunk more like a sedan. I could however just live with it - put stuff in the front seat, or just spend time moving work bags around when I open the trunk, so the GTI is still on the table.

Golf R has the digital cockpit the GTI lacks, maybe some other things I forget - and resale is much higher. I drive too many miles to get an R, but it's a great car.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

We never replaced tires in pairs with our AWD cars, including a WRX - and didn't even pay attention to rotating tires. I think when you get to 300 hp, you really want AWD or RWD, although the Civic Type R can pull it off. For snow, ride height is the issue with R or GTI.

Reactions: jpk

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Where are these good deals people keep claiming have to be there? My mother needs a new car soon so I thought I'd go look at the web sites of nearby dealers. Wow. Nothing but rape prices, as if they don't want any customers at all. No deals, and prices are all much higher than last year for the same thing.

The5thDentist

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0

OMG you're such a happy dude. [rofl][rofl]

An AWD car IS better on ice than two wheel drive.

Case in point:

Last December, I was behind a newish GTI. Two wheel drive. I was in my Cadillac XTS 4, which has an AWD system by Haldex.

We got stopped in heavy traffic on an icy, snow-packed road. I watched as the GTI got stuck, and slid backwards, towards me. I had to reverse down the hill to prevent the GTI from becoming my new hood ornament.

When the GTI driver realized he wasn't getting up that slope, and a friendly resident ran out to help guide the GTI driver he was able to move safely out of my way.

Once the road was clear, my Cadillac had absolutely no trouble easing up the frozen roadway.

Granted, the XTS is significantly heavier than the GTI, but both cars were on all-seasons. I doubt that a front-wheel drive XTS would have fared any better than the GTI.

I'll partially agree, that AWD isn't necessary most of the time. And snows make a yuge difference. However, when you do need it, you can be screwed without it.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
OMG you're such a happy dude. [rofl][rofl]

An AWD car IS better on ice than two wheel drive.

Case in point:

Last December, I was behind a newish GTI. Two wheel drive. I was in my Cadillac XTS 4, which has an AWD system by Haldex.

We got stopped in heavy traffic on an icy, snow-packed road. I watched as the GTI got stuck, and slid backwards, towards me. I had to reverse down the hill to prevent the GTI from becoming my new hood ornament.

When the GTI driver realized he wasn't getting up that slope, and a friendly resident ran out to help guide the GTI driver he was able to move safely out of my way.

Once the road was clear, my Cadillac had absolutely no trouble easing up the frozen roadway.

Granted, the XTS is significantly heavier than the GTI, but both cars were on all-seasons. I doubt that a front-wheel drive XTS would have fared any better than the GTI.

I'll partially agree, that AWD isn't necessary most of the time. And snows make a yuge difference. However, when you do need it, you can be screwed without it.
1. You were following too close

2. All season tires in snow/ice = fail.......just cuz you were able to GO with all seasons in your fancy AWD doesnt mean you can STOP any better than the similarly equipped for fail FWD

AWD isnt necessary.....for 99.99999% of the drivers out there its an expensive money making add on for manufacturers, stealerships and tire resellers

The additional cost would be better spent on winter tires for a FWD and a driving class

/thread

p.tice

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leased a car from Land Rover. Gave us $7,500 off and halfed the first two monthly payments. If you’re pondering a car purchase, now is the time to do it.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
We never replaced tires in pairs with our AWD cars, including a WRX - and didn't even pay attention to rotating tires. I think when you get to 300 hp, you really want AWD or RWD, although the Civic Type R can pull it off. For snow, ride height is the issue with R or GTI.
The WRX iirc has a slightly different AWD mechanism than most of the rest of the subie line and its more tolerant of wheel diameter variation....or the "expert" that I used to know sufficiently bullshitted me.....

BWM'xDrive is stupid sensitive to tire circumference......most of the german cars are.....honda you can beat the piss out of....change one tire and who GAF.......its also a very primative AWD system

All of the above are cars......I've always done well in FWD cars with snows up until the snow gets to the undercarriage on flat/rolling.......on hill of death I frequently have to drive there's about a 3" limit if you're going up the hill....after that its too steep and more than 3" or so provides too much resistence to keep the car moving and not break traction

I dont like how AWD vehicles are less predictable in a drift/slide

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I drove by a used car place and looked at a 2011 JEEP Wrangler. You've GOT to figure with all the incentives and low rates that prices will be coming down decently on used stuff, even JEEPs. No? The only thing is this one still has the 3.8 liter motor. The newer 3.6 motor is WAY better in every way, power, mileage, torque, reliability, even maintenance (oil filter on top). I think they started with that motor in 2012. At some point, my wife's car will go to the kids, and my car will go to the wife. I want another JEEP again. I wish they made the LJ ("Long Jeep") in more modern years. That extra wheelbase and interior space would be good for towing and a cooler. I'm not too impressed with the 4-door ones.

jpk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0

The extra cost associated with AWD is minimal compared to the extra cost of getting a DSG vs a 6MT. A haldex flush is ~$150, a DSG service is ~$400. That, and I'm perfectly capable of doing the drain and fill so I can cough up the extra $35 for fluid once every 30k. You're right though, it is indeed an added cost.

As for AWD, to each their own. I've owned Audi/Subaru AWD vehicles and had no problems moving through VT blizzards in 17" of snow to go snowboarding. Absolutely isn't necessary most of the time, or for what most people do in winter, agreed. But I drive a lot, really enjoy driving, and appreciate having all four wheels working to get me going when the weather would prefer I stayed.

The good thing about the haldex (which a lot of people see as a negative), is that the Golf R is pretty much full time FWD with power being diverted to the rear wheels when the situation dictates. You can feel this kick in taking some highway on ramps with speed. Given this, the gas mileage is much better than a full time AWD option like my WRX.
DSG is nice but I would never buy a new VW with one if 6MT was avail......sadly I think its down to GTI and R wrt MT's at this point.....so that 1000 plus for the DSG would never happen for me nor would the $400 service charge every 40k

IMHO the biggest cost associated with AWD are tires.

Also, FWD VW is totally bomb proof, parts are cheap, there's a ton of aftermarket stuff/upgraded axles if you want to play with HP......and did I mention parts are cheap?

I'm not a fan of how AWD handles once things break loose......I want FWD or RWD.....I can pull out of something with FWD or back off and bring it back together in RWD.......AWD has too much computer BS trying to guess/respond/apply brakes yada yada yada

I ditched an AWD vehicle that I had for 1 year......was looking at immanent cost of 4 new tires for 1300 and new brakes all around.......never seen rotors on a vehicle wear as unevenly/badly as this one.....previous vehicle was a Dub I drove 100k without any sign/reason to even consider brake work

The other thing that drove me nuts about the car was the onboard nanny that you could not exorcise from the vehicle without killing it

For 99.99999% of drivers there's no advantage to AWD.

For the rest it comes down to personal preference and I'm not trying to talk you or any other "Driver" out of personal preferences.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The WRX iirc has a slightly different AWD mechanism than most of the rest of the subie line and its more tolerant of wheel diameter variation....or the "expert" that I used to know sufficiently bullshitted me.....

BWM'xDrive is stupid sensitive to tire circumference......most of the german cars are.....honda you can beat the piss out of....change one tire and who GAF.......its also a very primative AWD system

All of the above are cars......I've always done well in FWD cars with snows up until the snow gets to the undercarriage on flat/rolling.......on hill of death I frequently have to drive there's about a 3" limit if you're going up the hill....after that its too steep and more than 3" or so provides too much resistence to keep the car moving and not break traction

I dont like how AWD vehicles are less predictable in a drift/slide
I think more likely the experts are full of it. Yes, maybe there's some theoretical benefit to replacing tires in pairs or all 4, but it's completely unnecessary. We're not driving F1 cars for money.

I had BMWs too and was very relaxed about tire rotation etc. They were rear drive though.

Agree on AWD - not a benefit in snow to me vs FWD or RWD with snow tires, unless you get snow tires as well.

p.tice

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 99.99999% of drivers there's no advantage to AWD.
So true. I think people put too much confidence in AWD and tend to believe they lower your chance of crashing in the snow. The reality is they’re only useful at getting you started in the snow. Once you’re moving awd/fwd/rwd makes almost no difference especially given modern traction control technology. People underestimate the value of good snow tires! Don’t spend extra on AWD, just buy good tires and you’ll be so much happier and have the same capability. Lastly of course, as my grandfather used to say, “ if it’s bad enough out to need AWD, then I don’t go out ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ”

Reactions: jpk
Top Bottom