• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvested my small patch of sunflowers this morning.

Uzi2

NES Member
image.jpeg This was from a handfull of seed that I had saved a couple of years ago. Just tossed them into the woodchip compost and scratched them in a little as a test to see how well they would do.
The stocks were 8-9 feet high with no ferlizer and only watered a couple of times as it was pretty dry when I planted.

I'll be saving the largest and best looking seeds from the largest mammoth heads and roasting a bunch of the others. The birds may get a couple to pick at too.

Next planting will be rowed correctly and the seeds spaced out further to give each plant more room and nutrients. These were grown a little crowded but the did pretty well considering.

Nice! Mine all have small flower heads due the the groundhog issue.

Were they the mammoth variety?

I just deseeded about 12 of the largest heads and have well over 30,000 + seeds, with each head averaging over 3000 + seeds.

Also, they are heavy feeders so fertilizing them is required depending on your soil.

If you want some mammoth variety seeds, PM me an address to send them to.

Last edited:
2 of them seemed to be. The others were given to me by a neighbor who had too many volunteers. Thanks for the info on fertilizer! I'll make a note for next year and IN for seeds!! :)

Nice!

Been thinking about planting a row along the side of our long driveway that's close to the property line. I have a big ol' Troybilt Horse tiller, so it will make a nice bed for them.

Trypophobia. Gives me chills looking at them!

Wow, new one to me!

Trypophobia is an aversion to the sight of irregular patterns or clusters of small holes, or bumps.[3][4] The condition is not officially recognized as a mental disorder, and is rarely referenced in scientific literature, but may fall under the broad category of specific phobia if fear is involved and the fear is excessive and distressing.[1][3] People may express only disgust or both fear and disgust to trypophobic imagery.[3]

The understanding of trypophobia is limited.[3] Although few studies have been done on trypophobia, researchers hypothesize that it is the result of a biological revulsion that associates trypophobic shapes with danger or disease, and may therefore have an evolutionary basis.[1][3]

The term trypophobia is believed to have been coined by a participant in an online forum in 2005.[5] Since then, the concept of trypophobia has become popular on social media.[5]

Send me your address for some seeds.

You want some Carolina Reaper pepper seeds? Glad to reciprocate, but be careful with these things. I didn't wear gloves when planting the seeds and later wiped an eye. Was like a dose of CS...

Outstanding Uzi! Love your posts.
~Matt

"Sunflowers were one of the important crops grown in Native American gardens. Some people call sunflowers the "fourth sister," in reference to the Three Sisters corn, bean, and squash ...Sunflower oil was also believed to treat skin ailments, and sunflowers had a variety of medicine uses in different tribes. Some Native people also saw sunflowers as a symbol of courage, so that warriors would carry sunflower cakes to battle with them or a hunter would sprinkle sunflower powder on his clothing to keep his spirit up."

You want some Carolina Reaper pepper seeds? Glad to reciprocate, but be careful with these things. I didn't wear gloves when planting the seeds and later wiped an eye. Was like a dose of CS...

I appreciate the offer but not into real hot stuff. Frank's hot sauce once in a while is about as far as I take it.

Yes, handling any hot peppers bare handed can have consequences.

Outstanding Uzi! Love your posts.
~Matt

"Sunflowers were one of the important crops grown in Native American gardens. Some people call sunflowers the "fourth sister," in reference to the Three Sisters corn, bean, and squash ...Sunflower oil was also believed to treat skin ailments, and sunflowers had a variety of medicine uses in different tribes. Some Native people also saw sunflowers as a symbol of courage, so that warriors would carry sunflower cakes to battle with them or a hunter would sprinkle sunflower powder on his clothing to keep his spirit up."

Not Native American, I just like the mega seed return on just a few seeds.

If you raise pigs, its real cheap fodder for them too. One seed grows into a several pound plant( stock, leaves and head) that is entirely edible by pigs....and its like candy to them. I don't raise swine but if I did, I'd plant a couple of acres of sunflowers for them.

I'm not either, but Sunflowers are a North American Native Plant, and I enjoy Native American lore and traditions...
~Matt

Back
Top Bottom