• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvest Right Freeze Dryer - my results

Latest batch is out of the FD.

Breakfast sausage crumbles and diced red peppers stored in jars for now as these will get added to eggs when I package them up.
IMG_3405.JPG IMG_3406.JPG

And then my chicken & sausage "gumbo" sealed into large bags until I FD some vegetables to add to it. Plus I am waiting on more bags to package the individual meals up.

IMG_3410.JPG IMG_3411.JPG

So I decided to do some math and see how many calories per FD ounce I have. Please check my work and let me know if you see an error in my process. Cause according to some geniuses on another forum it's IMPOSSIBLE to exceed 150 cal/ounce. So maybe my math is really off but geez, this stuff is so freaking lightweight! The food loses water not calories!

The following link should show you the chart

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2wi9zsgv1tw9bt1/Screenshot 2016-12-01 21.20.19.png?dl=0

Hi Penny!

I am new to the site and mostly registered to say thanks for the feedback on the freeze dryer. I am trying to justify buying one myself. As most reviewers have stated "you really have to use it to make it pay for itself".

I looked at the chart and if I am looking at it correctly I believe there is an error in the total calories for the Italian sausage.

You are already answering some of my questions just in your general statements like freeze drying some items and combining them with other items at a later date. I was trying to figure out the logistics of having everything on hand at once and some things are not always available, on sale, or seasonal.

Thanks again and please keep posting [grin]

Hi Penny!

I am new to the site and mostly registered to say thanks for the feedback on the freeze dryer. I am trying to justify buying one myself. As most reviewers have stated "you really have to use it to make it pay for itself".

I looked at the chart and if I am looking at it correctly I believe there is an error in the total calories for the Italian sausage.

You are already answering some of my questions just in your general statements like freeze drying some items and combining them with other items at a later date. I was trying to figure out the logistics of having everything on hand at once and some things are not always available, on sale, or seasonal.

Thanks again and please keep posting [grin]

The total calories are for the sausage and chicken combined into a stew. there are other things in the stew which I didn't account for and I assumed that 20% of the total weight was near non calorie liquid/seasonings and veg. So if you add the two meats, weighted 2:1 chicken:sausage and multiply by 80% you end up with that number in the chart.

ETA: And wow! Thanks for the compliment of registering so you could give me feedback!

I shot the company an email asking for the specs on their pumps and if they will sell units minus the pump.

Im not saying excessive moisture wont damage a pump, but hvac pumps can pretty good lifespans and they get exposed to water.oil changes are critical for proper operation, once the oil is completely contaminated the quality of the vacuum it can draw is greatly diminished.

Pennypincher, i love what your doing 3 possible cause of oil spillage are ...too much oil, the oil has massive amount of water in it cause an high level, the exhaust almost always will spit oil and vaper out to aleviate this there are mufflers that catch it and return it back to the pump, or a garden hose hooked to the axhaust vented outside prefreable.

I love what your doing, i wonder if you FDed maple syrup it would be like those delicious candys.
I'd also love to see a FDed Hershey ice cream pie.

I have alot of fruit i grow that has like a 3 day window between ripe and goop. Had probibly 1000lbs rotting the first year there bore fruit. Bet they would be great freeze-dried

I shot the company an email asking for the specs on their pumps and if they will sell units minus the pump.

Im not saying excessive moisture wont damage a pump, but hvac pumps can pretty good lifespans and they get exposed to water.oil changes are critical for proper operation, once the oil is completely contaminated the quality of the vacuum it can draw is greatly diminished.

Pennypincher, i love what your doing 3 possible cause of oil spillage are ...too much oil, the oil has massive amount of water in it cause an high level, the exhaust almost always will spit oil and vaper out to aleviate this there are mufflers that catch it and return it back to the pump, or a garden hose hooked to the axhaust vented outside prefreable.

I love what your doing, i wonder if you FDed maple syrup it would be like those delicious candys.
I'd also love to see a FDed Hershey ice cream pie.

I have alot of fruit i grow that has like a 3 day window between ripe and goop. Had probibly 1000lbs rotting the first year there bore fruit. Bet they would be great freeze-dried

I think the first time the pump had too much oil in it and when the pump is shut off and then cycles on quickly it spurts oil. I actually haven't had any problems since those first incidences. After I come back from my backpacking trip I will cycle the oil, likely do a power flush and then filter the oil or replace with new oil.

I can't eat maple syrup. Very sugary stuff, from what I have seen, takes a very long time to FD. If you are on facebook check out the group Harvest Right Freeze Dryer - Freeze Drying Adventures or something like that. Someone there has likely done it. And the ice cream thing. I know I have seen people who have FD those ice cream sandwiches with great success.

Great way to preserve fruit. Fruit cycles usually take longer from what I understand. Instead of 24-28 hrs maybe 28-34?

So latest pics and stats. These are just bagged "in bulk" until I have time to do individual meals later today.

2 doz scrambled eggs 45.1oz cooked 11.4oz FD (haven't decided if I will do 2 or 3 eggs, usually I eat 3 every day but I'm adding sausage, cheese, peppers, mushrooms, and jalapenos to these - but let's assume 3eggs/day)

Mushrooms 11.3oz cooked 1.3oz FD (this was a pound+ of mushrooms before cooking)
yellow pepper 9.5oz 0.9oz FD
green peppers and onions (for a different dish) 23.8oz cooked 1.8oz FD
jalapenos 5.7oz cooked 0.6oz FD

IMG_3480.JPG IMG_3481.JPG

So I am under some time pressure so after the last batch was out I was psyched to get the next batch in. I set the unit to keep freezing while I bagged up the last batch and cleaned and then reloaded the trays with the next batch. Got it turned around in 45 minutes! Woo hoo! 8.5 hours into the freeze cycle I find out that I was supposed to let the unit defrost and drain. actually it was probably mostly defrosted but not drained. So I had to stop the cycle, take the food out and put it in the freezer and ran the defrost cycle. Yep, I just lost 10+ hours! Then I had to run the freeze cycle for 30 minutes cause that's what you do when you are putting frozen food into the unit. So now the food is back in and the cycle has restarted. Instead of having a batch being done tomorrow morning or early afternoon this is now going to end up being a late night Sunday or an early morning Monday before this batch is ready. Dang it!

HR responded to my email.. i was suprised they said they sell units without a pump but it is only $250 off the price..i figured a large portion of the price was the pump. I have a few pumps...2 junk $250 ones and a $1600 one.
Im not sure why these machines are so expensive.

HR responded to my email.. i was suprised they said they sell units without a pump but it is only $250 off the price..i figured a large portion of the price was the pump. I have a few pumps...2 junk $250 ones and a $1600 one.
Im not sure why these machines are so expensive.

Because they are the ONLY ones in the home market at this point.

So many people on the backpacking forum I am on, and sharing this thread, often discuss the cost of doing various long hikes, especially in regards to cost of food. And I know that y'all here are concerned about LTS of foods and by extension, how much that all costs. One of the common refrains I have seen is that for $3K for the FD, I need to FD a lot of food to make it pay for itself. This may or may not be true especially as compared to the cost of buying FD food.

There are several differences I would like to point out though in regards to the foods I am FDing and what is actually available for mass purchase.
The quality of the ingredients I am using is MUCH better.
I have NO preservatives in my food. And you know, those nasty chemicals (over 100,000 of them) that aren't even required to be on the labels!
I can customize my meals, the variety, and the meal sizes. I don't know about you but when I see some of those FDed foods for sale and they are claiming that the bucket has 84 servings and you see the average serving size is about 140 calories, something tells me I'm going to need a lot of their "servings."
Add in dietary restrictions due to choice or necessity and mass produced food won't work for many.

Next, the cost of FDed individual meals average about $7 each. Maybe $6.50 if you weight your purchase towards the cheap carb side.
Big cans are about $2.20 for a 1 cup serving of about 250 calories. (okay, I looked at MH Beef stroganoff at beprepared but my guess is it's fairly typical). And what type of QUALITY are you getting when you are getting FDed food for a little more than $2/cup?! It's like getting a 20 pack of McNuggets for $3 and you think you scored unless you really think about what you must be putting into your body! Yikes!

So I wanted to try to figure out how much some of my meals are costing me.

Currently I have a batch of a mix that I discovered this summer and LOVE. It's grass fed beef (though any beef works), okra and tomatoes all cooked up in a skillet or pot depending on how much I make at a time, with some garlic and other seasonings and a little olive oil. This was 2 lbs ground beef, 3 lbs okra, and half a dozen tomatoes. I get my beef at the farmer's market for $5/lb, Okra was bought this summer by the box full and blanched and frozen so I will estimate that it is about $5 (though I believe it was closer to $3). The tomatoes, Romas, were about $5 based on some that I bought today. So I have about $20 into this plus seasonings and I should get 10 hefty meals out of this. This works out to $2 per meal, not accounting for the cost of electricity in cooking and then FDing the food. The bags I use are about 5cents each for individual meals. When I bag for LTS I will use mylar and those bags are about 60 cents each but also hold multiple meals as they are gallon sized. So do I really save any money? Maybe not, but there's no way I can get this type of food - grass fed beef, organically raised, pesticide free produce, free of preservatives and seasoned to my tastes without overloading on sodium.

If I was to use ground beef at $2/lb and non-organic produce and seasonings I would likely find my cost per meal drop to less than $1 per meal. At that rate the math would be simple. 3000 meals and you have your cost of the FD back. This doesn't take into account sides, like extra veg, cheese toppings, and deserts etc. If you make and like lasagna you can FD that but maybe you want to have a side of green beans with that or something.

For 6 months for 2 people, 3 meals per day equals 1,092 meals. I know this because one of our goals is to thru hike the AT and do it all while eating our own FDed meals which will be mailed to us by a friend or family member.

If you have a larger family or raise any of your own food, IMO, a FD would be a "no brainer."

Im glad there making them, hopefully over the years others will too and the price will be more reasonable.
I wasnt aware that freeze drying is as a tool for taxidermy.
This ones available and just looking at im DIY inspired. Taxi-dry_tn.jpg

Hey Pennypincher!

Props to you for all of the great information. Very informative and interesting for me based on lots of backpacking. We've always purchased the commercial FD stuff and sometimes the boutique stuff but only in very limited quantities $$$. Yep, lots of sodium and some are not that appealing.

Great that you will do the AT. I've done sections including the 100 Mile Wilderness. That section is a real bear & shedding ounces will matter.

So besides overall hydration, of course you're going to need water for your meals. What are your plans for water purification? Seems like you've done some good research...

Hey Pennypincher!

Props to you for all of the great information. Very informative and interesting for me based on lots of backpacking. We've always purchased the commercial FD stuff and sometimes the boutique stuff but only in very limited quantities $$$. Yep, lots of sodium and some are not that appealing.

Great that you will do the AT. I've done sections including the 100 Mile Wilderness. That section is a real bear & shedding ounces will matter.

So besides overall hydration, of course you're going to need water for your meals. What are your plans for water purification? Seems like you've done some good research...

I have hiked off and on for years. When we started we would use a pump filter. It got the job done but was a bit time consuming. Then I switched to just using the purification tablets. That's ok. Lightweight at least. If you follow the directions you have to wait for it to do it's work but really low input on the hiker's part. The taste, you get used to it. They actually have a second step tablet/drops to help get rid of the taste. That's all well and good except when you have been out of water for an hour and hiking uphill on a 95 degree humid day and now you have to wait an hour to drink the water you are carrying!

But filters are getting smaller and lighter. I have a Sawyer mini. Never used it on a trip. I'm trying to decide if this is what I'm going to take with me. Basically you fill a bag (or poland spring type water bottle) and screw it on and then squeeze the bottle/bag. Alternatively you can use it "in line" with a bladder like a camelback. I might go that route. Maybe not.

I have to make that decision this week as I leave for a 96 mile hike next weekend. I will also likely carry an extra bladder of some type so that at night I can get all the water I need for the evening and morning meals as well as water to start the day's hiking.

For "cooking" meals I should likely only need about 1.5 cups of water on average but I do drink a lot of water normally and it's really important to start off well hydrated and stay well hydrated while hiking. Really effects your hiking. In my experience anyway. All of my meals will be individually packaged, rip open the top and pour in the water. Place bag of food in a "cozy" made from reflectix(?). That insulating stuff you can buy in rolls, all silvery. Let it sit for 20 minutes or so. It's re hydrated and still hot. I did some tests and the food stayed at about 160 degrees after 20 minutes in the cozy.

I really appreciate all the feedback and questions. I have received several questions about how this unit works. The best thing I can tell you is to check out the website and their FAQs.

Very simple explanation here: https://harvestright.com/how-it-works/

I'm trying to think of what items will NOT freeze dry. Basically I think the only you can't do is take just a fat and FD it. You can FD foods that have fat - meat cooked or raw, avocados, dairy, etc.

Here's what HR says on that subject: https://harvestright.com/will-it-freeze-dry/

I like the fact that it retains so much of it's nutritional value. The benefits as I see as to FDing vs canning or dehydrating are: higher nutritional retention, set it and forget it for at least 24 hours (you CANT do that with canning. And dehydrating I always rotate the trays but still not high maintenance), the machine KNOWS when the food is FDed and you can't over FD something (though occassionally if you are doing very thick items especially in mixed batches, you may need to put the thicker things back in for more time), wider variety of components and "made" meals can be FDed over any other method of preservation. And ease of storage. You don't need any special equipment for storage other than mylar bags and O2 absorbers and you can use a clothes iron to seal your bags if you choose. Since Mylar is expensive, anything "short term" will go into plastic vacuum bags which run from 4 cents to 8 cents each versus 50 cents and up for mylar depending on size and features.

ETA: When you dehydrate meats and other things, they get really hard and are hard to rehydrate at times. FD does not have these problems

We have a little different setup in that I vacuum seal the individual meals for camping in plastic vacuum bags in a chamber sealer but that's what works for backpacking and not a LONG term storage option (over 2 years I probably wouldn't do that). WE have the vacuum sealer for all our frozen foods too and we will probably start using it for marinating meats. It also is the BOMB for freezing soups or liquidy foods/meals as you can seal a soup in a bag without any spillage into your sealer.

And obviously being so light weight you don't need heavy duty shelves for storing this food, unlike home canned goods. WE have had some real heavy duty shelves when we had the space available. Now we have home made shelves in our closets (renting and no basements) made of 3/4" plywood and the "half cinderblocks" from Home Depot. It's actually a really good system for storing our canned goods. It was better in the last place as the closets were wide and shelves went left and right. Current closets are narrow walk ins and so the shelves go from front to back along one wall of the closet, a little harder to access. With this food I can fill a storage tub and lift it over my head still! (I think, haven't quite got to that point).

While I don't think I will give up on the other methods of preservation, I can see this FDing becoming the 80% or more of our LTS. Oh! You can't make beef jerky (or any jerky) with this method so I will definitely need to keep a dehydrator! But other than that, I don't know of anything I can store with another method that I can't FD.

Last edited:
This is from another forum I post to. The Survival Podcast forum.:

This was the original "question." :
I get your point and am trying to justify an FD for my own family, but to do a fair comparison, something you are not taking in to account is the electricity to run your FD and the time invested to grow and harvest your own food and to FD it yourself. Also, you mentioned the bags, but what about the investment for the equipment to remove oxygen and seal them? Wouldn't #10 cans be a better solution to LTS and what would be the investment be to support that, to properly store long term?

To your point though, "quality" and "choice" trumps all and is likely the reason people invest in a HRFD, not cost or time savings.

This is my answer:

Thank you for the questions. This is long but that's because I have thought about this a LOT before buying this unit.

I have not yet seen an electric bill with any significant FD use on it. And the cost will vary based on your electric rates around the country. I have seen others who run their FD "constantly" and yet they pay about $1/day to run it. I would say the same needs to be considered for any food storage method. I can on an electric stove and my dehrydrator, of course, runs on electricity. Obviously when I get my bill I will let y'all know how much I see in cost. After this week, if it's significant, I should see it in my bill!

This is what HR says about the cost of electricity.

What type of power do the freeze dryers use? How much will it cost to run?
Harvest Right has taken every precaution to make this appliance run as affordably as possible.

Small and Standard

Our small and standard freeze dryers use a standard 110 volt outlet.

At peak, the freeze dryer draws about 16 amps, but on the average about 9 to 11 amps (990-1210 watts) of power per hour. A dedicated 20 amp circuit is recommended. Your freeze dryer will cost an estimated $1.25-$2.80 a day, depending on power costs in your area.
I have a standard size, 4 tray unit. They now also make a larger unit with 5 trays that are somewhat larger.

I wish I could grow and harvest my own food! I pay good money for good food. I want it available for travel (dietary restrictions) and for TEOTWAWKI situations (like job loss or a total collapse of the economy). Also, we are planning to hike the Appalachian trail in a few years and this will be a significant savings for that trip. Currently I am trying to get enough meals (and variety) for my upcoming backpacking trip this weekend.

As for method of sealing. I use plastic or mylar bags sealed in my chamber sealer. My previous vacuum sealer had been crapping out on me after only 2 years of use and I was eyeing a Cabela's "hunter's grade" sealer for around $469. Someone else on this forum was talking about chamber sealers. Chamber sealers allow you to seal plastic bags without channels which are MUCH cheaper than regular vacuum bags. I literally have some sized bags that are as cheap as 2.5 cents per bag. My largest bag costs 6.3 cents per bag. When I was using vacuum bag rolls I was able to get my most common size down to 34 cents per bag for the size that I mostly use (8"x12") however, I actually had less storage space due to the amount of bag the old sealer takes to make a seal. I figure I lost at least an inch for the seals. Which is not quite as insignificant as it may seem when using a lot of bags. I did get a chamber vacuum sealer for $679 shipped. And it does seal mylar bags, up to 7 mil thick, very well, though it's not "rated" for mylar so I wouldn't want to do large amounts of mylar. For longer term storage I will use larger mylar bags. Maybe. They are very costly. There are only 2 of us so we may want to continue with the small plastic pouches. We can always put individual meals that are in plastic into a larger 5 gal mylar bag in a bucket. That would give us the benefits of being able to open only what we need and the up to 25 year shelf life mylar provides.

A chamber sealer is really the only type of vacuum sealer I would use for FDed foods because the foods can literally become powdery very quickly and that is not good for the suction type sealers. Also, we do use this sealer to seal foods going into the freezer. And it works with freezing liquids which is impossible with a regular sealer without a manual control and still messy even with a manual control as you end up having some liquid sucked up by the vacuum machine.

Alternatively we can seal in mason jars. I know there are many people who use this for "short term" foods. Like FDed marshmallows and ice cream bars. Snack type things or maybe "staples" like rice. Actually, I may do this for a spanish cauliflower rice I just started making or my tomato powder next season (tomato sauce dehydrated this season and then powdered, I may use the FD for it next year). My chamber sealer will actually seal small pint sized (and smaller) jars. This is good as I didn't have to use my handheld attachment at 2am this morning to seal up the rest of my salsa. This function will also come in handy if I am using the dehydrator or FD to powder gravies, soups/broths, sauces, etc.

As for #10 cans. For us that's not a great alternative at this point. We could borrow a can sealer from the local LDS store (they loan them out free) and buy cans from them, relatively cheap. But then we would be restricted as to when we could run our FD as to when we would have the canner available. Buying a can sealer is out of the question for us at this point. I think the cheapest I have seen for a #10 can sealer is $2K though a quick perusal shows some smaller units for smaller cans to be under $1K. It may be a possibility in the future for us. But we REALLY like the ability for individual meals.

Now, most people DO NOT USE a vacuum sealer for their FDed foods. HR suggests their 7 mil mylar and an O2 absorber and an impulse sealer. That makes the cost of sealing, up front, much cheaper but given our particular needs for our particular situation (and the fact we were buying the sealer anyway) we went a different way.

Back to the actual food we are FDing. Some may call us "food snobs" or "whack jobs." You pick. But briefly, we eat almost entirely organic produce. Sometimes we can't get it and I will change the menu but certain things my husband "has to eat" every week (like his sweet potatoes). When we can, we eat grass fed beef or pastured, organically raised chicken/pork or as close as we can afford to. We do not eat foods with nitrites. We do not eat ANY grains or derivatives. That means no corn, no vegetable oils, very little soy, no wheat or rice products, no added sugars - including any cane sugar, etc or any of the fructose/sucrose cheap garbage put into foods. We make our own ketchup for the few times we need it, and BBQ sauce and Worcestershire sauce. I would make our own mustard too if it wasn't so easy to buy it without any nasties in it. This is how we eat EVERY DAY. We have been doing this for 5 months now and look at it all as an investment in our health as we have already experienced several health benefits. So how much do you value your health?
While we can buy some organic produce already FDed, and even some meals, the cost is very high. So our cost is actually much lower and the longer we own this and are able to take advantage of seasonal price drops on this food, the bigger our long term savings will be.

I may have made a post about our cost of these meals. If I haven't, I will. I am posting similar threads on a few forums so sometimes a post doesn't make it to all the forums.

Back to the cost of storage. At 6 cents a bag, how many times would you need to use a mason jar to get your cost down to 6 cents per quart? Well, basically you can't as the lids are at least that much and usually between 10 and 20 cents each depending on when you get them and if you have a coupon. But then the cost of the jars comes into play as well. Even a smoking deal on quart jars, say $8 for 12 means 75 cents each. You would have to use that jar more than 12 times to get it down to 6 cents per use. Which for many people will mean 12 years or more before the jar per use cost is the same as my bag cost. The other cost with jars is the cost to store them. I had quite an investment in shelves over the years for my home canned goods. You need very sturdy shelving to hold all that weight. I know, I have hundreds of jars of various sizes, of food. And while I likely won't give up on canning all together, that is a very time intensive, energy intensive, process.

Variety: FDing offers the most variety for foods you can store long term. Hands down. Ever can avocado? You can't. Not safely and I wonder how that would work out on the other side! Ewwww. About the only thing I have found I can't FD are straight fats like oils though some fat/oil in the preparation of the food if you are cooking and then FDing should not be any problem. You can FD raw or cooked food. You still need a dehydrator to make jerky and not so sure you could/should FD jerky. But then again, that's probably not necessary anyway. A lot of the meals I make, there is no safe tested recipe for canning them. Dehydrating doesn't work very well when trying to dry things with mixed ingredients. Dehydrated food also gets VERY sharp and hard. This is why dehydrated ground beef is referred to as "gravel." Ability to rehydrate FD food is much better than dehydrated food. FD food retains it's texture, size and shape better. FD food also retains 97% of it's nutritional value.

So I hope this helps and doesn't sound too much like "I'm right and you're wrong." It's not meant that way. But you asked some good questions and my answers were not simple. And they are our "justification" for buying this machine.

I was supposed to be doing a hike of the LSHT but due to reports of the trail being nearly knee deep in spots and an incoming cold front plus more predictions for rain, my friend and I decided to go to Big Bend instead. I had never been and it was an AMAZING place and a great decision. We had sun all day and we day hiked since we didnt have the ability to cache water plus this was my first whack at ANY elevation since I moved to Texas over a year and a half ago.

But I did eat my FDed meals just as if we were backpacking. Meaning I used my backpacking stove, pot, and windscreen. And I "cooked" the meals in the bags I packed them in and used my cozy.

My cozy was designed around the MountainHouse meals I used to eat. (ok, it's been a while since I went backpacking - before I moved to Texas). So the cozy is a bit too big and I will make a better sized one before my next trip.

The results:
The meals rehydrated VERY WELL. I didn't have any problems with some parts rehydrating while others weren't ready yet. I didn't really time anything but with maybe 1 exception when I was very hungry, everything seemed to rehydrate very quickly.

Breakfast: 3 eggs scrambled, breakfast sausage crumbles, mushrooms, peppers, jalapenos, salsa (and sometimes cheese). The eggs don't come back with their true texture. All FDed eggs feel a bit styrofoamy to me. I found this is less so when I break the FDed egg pieces up a bit smaller. The combo tasted great. The best way to add the cheese is to do it AFTER the rest is done and just stir it in and it absorbs the extra water quickly. I think if I want salsa on my eggs from now on I will make that an addition after the eggs and the rest is done "cooking."

Meals: I made pulled pork, beef/okra/tomato combo, pork stuffed peppers, my version of gumbo, fajita chicken with green peppers and onions and spanish cauliflower rice and roasted zucchini slices.

The pulled pork was so tasty that I had it twice. Unfortunately I learned what too much water does - dilutes the flavor. Lesson learned.

Beef/okra/tomato combo was fantastic and basically the exact same way it tastes when freshly made at home.

the pork stuffed peppers were almost exactly the same as when they come out of the oven, just a little extra liquid of course.

the gumbo I packed I hadn't even tasted it before I packed it and I make it a bit different every time. But it was very tasty. Maybe I should standardize my "recipe" but hey, where would the fun be there? It's usually a bit of a wet dish so it was very much like it is when at home.

The fajita chicken with green peppers and onions was FANTASTIC! For all you grain eaters, it would have gone great on a tortilla wrap.

The zucchini slices actually got several trials. They are actually good as a snack, dry, like when you are hungry and waiting for water to boil. I cooked them in their own pouch. I packaged them separately just like I did the rice.
The Spanish rice was AMAZING. I cooked this by itself most times but also cooked it in foods that had no veg. It rehydrates so well and so quickly. It's great to eat while waiting for the main meal. I figure these sides are good to have especially if the main meal turns out to be just a little to short on filling me up. And at my packed size of only about .5 oz, it's easy to bring a couple extras.

There is some tweaking I will be doing. My bags are taller than they need to be. I can easily cut them down. I may also try a narrower bag to see if I like it better. The current bags are 8" wide which is similar to MH type meals but I think my bags have more usable interior width. So narrower bag possibly but at least shorter bag which will cut a fraction of an ounce off each package. I liked my meal sizes but I will be checking that on a long backpacking trip when hopefully some serious hiker hunger will set in even though truth be told, it's never happened for me in the past and it may not in the future. We shall see. If I need to increase meal sizes or numbers of meals it shouldn't be an issue as far as weight goes because the average meal only weighed in at about 2.5oz on average.

I also learned after the first series of meals and sides I packaged that I really do need to pack the food down at the bottom of the bag and not worry about crushing it. It makes it easier to pack it in a smaller space. And smaller pieces rehydrate much quicker.

So it's been a while since I posted.

I did my first oil change on the pump for the freeze dryer the other day. You are supposed to change the oil every 5-6 batches and a power flush every 10-12. I did 9 batches or maybe 10. This is the picture of the oil I drained out of it. Not too bad actually. I have seen worse. I guess it all depends on the food you FD. I will probably filter this oil and reuse later. I did put in brand new oil. I will likely also do a power flush after 4/5 batches with the new oil since I could tell I didn't get all the gunk out of the pump with the oil change.

Right now I have 2 lbs of shredded cheese in the FD. I had bought it on sale - organic Colby - and needed to get it shredded and FDed. It's way better than that mass produced FDed cheese. And it rehydrates beautifully in meals. I like to add it to my eggs.

IMG_3696.JPG

By my standards that oil is too contaminated to use for HVAC work, but in your application i consider it not that bad. The vapor trap on your unit must work pretty well for the amount of water you have removed.
Let us know if you notice an increase in performance with the fresh oil change.i dont think you will.

By my standards that oil is too contaminated to use for HVAC work, but in your application i consider it not that bad. The vapor trap on your unit must work pretty well for the amount of water you have removed.
Let us know if you notice an increase in performance with the fresh oil change.i dont think you will.

I really did not notice any degradation in the performance. But then again I have not done any identical loads, each has been different. I am going to do a load of scrambled eggs again this weekend and I will have a comparison point then. Well I just checked and it will be similar. Last time I did eggs I also did several cooked diced veggies as well. But I do need to do 2 runs of eggs for a trip I'm taking this spring so maybe when I do the 2nd egg batch I will see a difference.

Here's a couple of pictures of the latest load. Freeze dried organic colby cheese. I shredded it first. Each tray has 8 oz of cheese. The trays can handle more weight, much more, and maybe at some point I will increase how much I put on each tray. My main concern is just making sure the cheese doesn't get too clumped up on the tray and then not properly FD. Next up is scrambled eggs for my upcoming backpacking trip.

I package each tray into 2 packets and they weigh 2.5 oz from what was originally 4 oz. May not seem like much weight saving for backpacking but the cheese is stable this way and I can add it to any dish I want or even just eat it if I need calories.

IMG_3697.JPG

IMG_3698.JPG

I put in a load of scrambled eggs, cooked, today. They will be ready tomorrow. These come out great when rehydrated. I think next time I am going to use my muffin tin to cook them without scrambling them or maybe buy something that I can fry them in a pan as "over hard" without them spreading too much. Would be nice to be able to make a trailside egg "sandwich"

25 hours to FD 4 dozen scrambled and cooked eggs. These are very large eggs.

they re-hydrate very well. a dozen weighs about 6.8oz. we eat 3 per day. these will get packaged up later with veggies and maybe some breakfast sausage for backpacking breakfasts. I'm anticipating that egg prices are about to drop. they have already dropped a little and if the prices drop like they did last year we will be cooking and freeze drying lots of eggs this year.

http://labequipmentlist.com/thermo-...110-115-vacuum-pump-oil-filter-system-lel2491

lel2491-thermo-scientific-savant-vp0f110-115-vacuum-pump-oil-filter-system.jpg

This is what I have on my Vacuum pump.. It has a silica trap, and it filters the oil. Water does not make for a long life vacuum pump. Do you have pictures of the vacuum pump?

I can only imagine the shit pump that comes with it.they told me they'd sell me a freeze dryer minus pump for 200 off the total.. so my guess would be it comes with a $60 single stage pump.

i don't fully understand your filter setup dr. Burnsides... i own 2 single stage pumps hardlined together and a real 12cfm 2 stage pump... i use the cheap ones when i have concerns about them being stolen from the site.the cheap ones hold very little oil. Good ones hold more and can have an oil change without breaking the vacuum.since the freeze dryer has a vapor trap only a portion of water makes it to the pump.

What are you pulling a vacuum on that made you want that filter setup?
im not saying waters good for a pump but they are pretty resilient, they just dont preform well with contaminated oil and depending on the application you just change the oil more often...for hvac purging with nitrogen before vacuuming cuts down on moisture.

I find vacuums very interesting..

Here's the pump that I bought with it. It's the "upgrade" what they call the platinum pump.

It only gets a little water in it when in vacuum mode. After freezing the food the program kicks into "drying" which is achieved by creating a vacuum, and slightly warming the food, which causes sublimation. So you have a hose connected to the dryer sucking air and a little bit of water over the course of at least 17 hours. This is why there is a recommendation to drain a little bit of the "oil" off after every load. When you do this you will see that there's maybe 1/2 teaspoon of water. I usually drain until I can see that it looks like it's all oil coming out. Highly scientific. Then I top off the oil again.

There is a "vent" covered by a sock. Occasionally it spews a little oil so the sock catches that.

IMG_3712.JPG IMG_3713.JPG IMG_3714.JPG

Back
Top Bottom