Harvard USPSA Match

That looks great, I wish I was there. But I'm wondering what's with all the racing guns? Except for the first guy, and it could be my eyes, but they all seeemd to have trick guns like you see in IPSC, not IDPA -- or have I just been out of it too long. Thanks for sharing.

That looks great, I wish I was there. But I'm wondering what's with all the racing guns? Except for the first guy, and it could be my eyes, but they all seeemd to have trick guns like you see in IPSC, not IDPA -- or have I just been out of it too long. Thanks for sharing.

USPSA has an open class, all the members of Team Bacon and Team Broccoli shoot open.

Wookie,

There were 19 people in Production which is very similar to SSP as far as guns go. About 20 in Limited and about 6 in Limited 10- many guns are like ESP division. Revo and Single Stack as well.

Yes there are a lot of Open shooters- that is the all out balls to wall equipment.

There is a great balanace of divisions... it's all awesome.

Great match today guys- thanks for running it!

Cool vids Rob. I love the "peanut gallery" comments on Renee's run. Sweet match today. Tons of shooting and lots of running stages. My favorite!

Thanks guys for another great one.

I had a damn good jam on stage 6..... and I've always told everyone that Glocks never fail. Oh I can see Mike reading this and laughing his ass off! In all honesty I haven't been case gauging my ammo... or cleaning the case lube off the ammo so I'm hoping it was only an ammo thing!

Wookie,

There were 19 people in Production which is very similar to SSP as far as guns go. About 20 in Limited and about 6 in Limited 10- many guns are like ESP division. Revo and Single Stack as well.

Yes there are a lot of Open shooters- that is the all out balls to wall equipment.

There is a great balanace of divisions... it's all awesome.

Great match today guys- thanks for running it!

Thanks -- they looked like great shooters or at least from what I saw. I never saw any targets.... :)

I had a damn good jam on stage 6..... and I've always told everyone that Glocks never fail. Oh I can see Mike reading this and laughing his ass off! In all honesty I haven't been case gauging my ammo... or cleaning the case lube off the ammo so I'm hoping it was only an ammo thing!

oh they fail, crazy to think there is any magic gun out there that doesn't fail at some point.

and why would anyone case gauge ammo? you dont shoot your ammo through your case gauge.
and case lube, why would you clean that off? that cuts down on valuable bacon eating time!
(or steaming broccoli)

oh they fail, crazy to think there is any magic gun out there that doesn't fail at some point.

Yeah- true, but I'd be willing to bet that most "gun" problems are ammo problems. I still think that Glocks are ultra reliable. [smile]

and why would anyone case gauge ammo? you dont shoot your ammo through your case gauge.
and case lube, why would you clean that off? that cuts down on valuable bacon eating time!
(or steaming broccoli)

I'm taking this as humor... I hope. The Glock chamber is not at tight as the case gauge so if it passes that, it should be good.

I don't think I'm on either bacon or broccoli team (I would be honored if I could be a member but for now I'll stay on the short, overweight Italian team). So for now I will probably clean the bacon fat off my cases...

Yeah- true, but I'd be willing to bet that most "gun" problems are ammo problems. I still think that Glocks are ultra reliable. [smile]

I'm taking this as humor... I hope. The Glock chamber is not at tight as the case gauge so if it passes that, it should be good.

What Matt is getting at that you can use your barrel as a case gauge if your are going to gauge rounds. Everyone's chambers are different. it wll accurately tell you what will work in your gun.

Keeping the case lube on helps with extraction.

Last edited:
What Matt is getting at that you can use your barrel as a case gauge if your are going to gauge rounds. Everyone's chambers are different. it wll accurately tell you what will work in your gun.

Keeping the case lube on helps with extraction.

Yeah I know. I like using the case gauge because as I mentioned it's tighter than my Glock barrel so I know a round that passed the gauge is going to easily fit the barrel.. and my gauge is always cleaner. [smile]

I'm still mixed on the case lube. I think the Dillon stuff works better for .223 but for 9mm a lighter Hornady One Shot might make more sense. Some say to keep in on, it helps with feeding, some clean it off... I don't know.

Sorry for the OT.

Thanks for another great match HSC.

Lugnut,
I use Lyman quick shot and leave it on. I haven't been case guaging, but I probably will next time. I had a 9mmBra case and loaded it in one of my mags. It's the size of a 380 and I didn't notice it. I was wondering why my Glock went click. ;)

Yeah I know. I like using the case gauge because as I mentioned it's tighter than my Glock barrel so I know a round that passed the gauge is going to easily fit the barrel.. and my gauge is always cleaner. [smile]

I'm still mixed on the case lube. I think the Dillon stuff works better for .223 but for 9mm a lighter Hornady One Shot might make more sense. Some say to keep in on, it helps with feeding, some clean it off... I don't know.

Sorry for the OT.

I don't think leaving case lube on is a good idea. The first problem is that it will attract dirt which will foul the chamber. The second problem is that the case is supposed to grip the chamber walls while under pressure. Lube will prevent this and place excessive pressure on the breech face; i.e the case will attempt to eject before the barrel unlocks. This might actually impair extraction. Most semi auto pistols were designed to work with clean brass.

I don't think leaving case lube on is a good idea. The first problem is that it will attract dirt which will foul the chamber. The second problem is that the case is supposed to grip the chamber walls while under pressure. Lube will prevent this and place excessive pressure on the breech face; i.e the case will attempt to eject before the barrel unlocks. This might actually impair extraction. Most semi auto pistols were designed to work with clean brass.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9759&view=findpost&p=113036

I think the Dillon lube I've been using is much stickier/thicker than the Hornday OneShot. After tumbling some of my loaded ammo with the Dillon on it... they came out not sticky at all... but slippery as a SOB. Maybe from the walnut dust. With this ammo my gun ran flawless last night for a couple hundred rounds.

I'm either tumbling or using One Shot from now on.... not sure.

I think the Dillon lube I've been using is much stickier/thicker than the Hornday OneShot.
Dillon lube is thicker than One Shot and stays "wet" while One Shot "dries", if allowed too. I find that dry One Shot is a much better case lube than wet One Shot. Also, two shots of One Shot is better than one.

I think those are the problems that people have with One Shot on straight walled cases.

Respectfully,
johnk

Dillon lube is thicker than One Shot and stays "wet" while One Shot "dries", if allowed too. I find that dry One Shot is a much better case lube than wet One Shot. Also, two shots of One Shot is better than one.

I think those are the problems that people have with One Shot on straight walled cases.

Respectfully,
johnk

I might be confused... Are you saying you are using the Hornady One Shot "Dry Lube" instead of the One Shot "Case Lube"?

I might be confused... Are you saying you are using the Hornady One Shot "Dry Lube" instead of the One Shot "Case Lube"?
No, I'm using One Shot case lube, but I let it "dry". When the case lube dries it leaves a slightly waxy film and seems to work better than when it’s just sprayed on and used. It also works better if you spray the cases twice.

Respectfully,
jkelly

I don't think leaving case lube on is a good idea. The first problem is that it will attract dirt which will foul the chamber.

it can attract all the dirt it wants, but my cases are all stuck in either an old empty plastic shotgun wads bag, an empty shot bag, or actually put in boxes if i was ambitious and loaded before the morning of the match.
then they go from my bag, to my hands, to their mags
so they can attract dirt, but wont actually get any on them cuz it's not getting through the bags, or through the walls of the mags. And last week, when i picked mags out of the bass river sand, and stuffed them back in the gun, it ran just fine.

So, harvard's April, June and July match winner endorses Dillon Case Lube, and suggests never wiping it off, because that takes time, and if you're attracting dirt, you can save it in a jar, for when dry land is worth something, like in waterworld. the ice caps are melting ya know. al gore said so

The 7/12/2009 match at Harvard, it was my 1st match on the US and the 1st match I did in over 10 years. I have lots of fun and I meet lots of good people, and good shooters. I used a Glock 19 and I didn’t have any problems at all, I believe that it is a great firearm if you train with it for the match.

Thank you to you all especially to Rob B. for the invitation and the good time. I drove 1,800 miles up (I had to do something in Atlanta in my way up) and 1,500 miles down in order to be at the match and every single mile was well worthy.

Thanks,

Ish.

Back
Top Bottom