Harvard Univ Grad Student workers want $25/hr

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0

As members of the UAW, went on strike yesterday.

"The university has not responded to any of our demands around our core issues," said Ege Yumusak, 26, a third-year graduate student and teaching assistant in the philosophy department who sits on the union's bargaining committee. "This is why we are striking today after trying many other actions."

One more snowflake melts away......

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
how much DO they make? Harvard's endowment budget is bigger than a lot of countries GDP, plus living costs in that commie shithole of Cambridge is insane, you have to pay 10cents for a f***ing paper bag. That's like a law there.

I'm sure granny Warren made more than that, may be he needs to find some Indian roots in him.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
yeah.. when I was in grad school from 1990-1992, I was THRILLED that they gave me a 90% tuition waiver and $1k/month to TA.
Yep. Sure. We'll pay you $30/hr. Now your tuition is $70,000 per year. Cash, check or charge?

Harvard is known for their whiners. They excel at it. They have a campus group "F Grades" which regularly proposes to ban grading. Ban grading. Seriously. At Harvard. Effectively, they should just show up and get credit.

While they still churn out some amazing talent, it's not the place it was years ago.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Harvard Grad School is like $50k tuition, plus another $20k if you want campus housing. And that's not to mention the minor ridiculous expenses such as like a $500/semester book budget. Factor in a $40 billion dollar endowment, and I feel like Harvard has a bit of wiggle room here for these grad students and that this isn't that much of an ask. The payoff is the "Harvard" on your resume, which should theoretically price you out differently on the job market, but until you're there making the big bucks (and repaying that gargantuan student loan), you still have to live.

On the flip side of the coin, I recall during my school era that many of these positions used to be credit and/or experience only, or if you did get paid, it was closer to state minimum wage. And people still fought tooth and nail to get in. They were seen like an internship. When did these positions become union, or rather, how were they able to unionize?

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I love this. Harvard has been encouraging all this junk, now they have to deal with it.

A lot of these students are doing most of the work for the professors, the liberal DB show up, spew some liberal/racist crap and leave, while the assistants are left reading hundreds of papers and grading. One gets paid $300K because he/she wrote some sh*try book at some point, the other should be happy he/she can get a Masters there.

I am glad this is happening to Harvard.

That being said ... no one forced the students to work or study there. They agreed to the terms, they shouldnt be complaining. They are free to go somewhere else.

Last edited:

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Harvard Grad School is like $50k tuition, plus another $20k if you want campus housing. And that's not to mention the minor ridiculous expenses such as like a $500/semester book budget. Factor in a $40 billion dollar endowment, and I feel like Harvard has a bit of wiggle room here for these grad students and that this isn't that much of an ask. The payoff is the "Harvard" on your resume, which should theoretically price you out differently on the job market, but until you're there making the big bucks (and repaying that gargantuan student loan), you still have to live.

On the flip side of the coin, I recall during my school era that many of these positions used to be credit and/or experience only, or if you did get paid, it was closer to state minimum wage. And people still fought tooth and nail to get in. They were seen like an internship. When did these positions become union, or rather, how were they able to unionize?
I dont know if this is true or not, but I was listening to an interview with the Harvard President (2 years ago), and this person was saying that endowment money can only be used for what it was donated. For example, you donate $50M to the Economics department for Economic research, those $50M have to go to the Economics department.

Can someone confirm if this is true? Or does the money go to a general fund?

Palladin

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
when I was in college/grad school.......student teachers were doing it for the experience, at a discounted tuition rate, or on a free ride.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if this is true or not, but I was listening to an interview with the Harvard President (2 years ago), and this person was saying that endowment money can only be used for what it was donated. For example, you donate $50M to the Economics department for Economic research, those $50M have to go to the Economics department.

The short answer is, it depends. Some donations are targeted "donor-restricted" and some aren't. About 70% of the endowment has to go to specific purposes. Right now, about $12B of their endowment is unrestricted compared to about $37B restricted. You can read a lot more here.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The short answer is, it depends. Some donations are targeted "donor-restricted" and some aren't. About 70% of the endowment has to go to specific purposes. Right now, about $12B of their endowment is unrestricted compared to about $37B restricted. You can read a lot more here.
This is true, but it goes further. The unrestricted part of the endowment is often strategically invested for gains. The restricted portion, which is targeted at certain aspects of university betterment, can also net gains if said department funding is fruitful. Those gains are often unrestricted and go back to the endowment. Between $12B in potential investments and the reminder also most likely bringing in net gains, there isn't much of an argument to say the $40B is locked up.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I'm sure there are plenty more students than their are TA positions. Kick the snowflakes to the curb and give the positions to someone else.
[rofl]

The irony is the people who call children, teenagers and young adult snowflakes are presumably old gen X or baby boomers.

A baby boomer calling any human to ever live outside their generation a snowflake is literally laugh out loud funny.

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Rating - 100%
20   0   0

Yeah and Clinton foundation isn't about paying for expensive weddings ... this is Harvard, if they want to skim few buck over 40 billions, I'm sure there are many ways to do it.

Unfortunately TA teaching classes is becoming more common, not that some profs join for research only and can't teach shit though. But this is the typical microcosm of communism, you climb the ladder at any cost, claim to be Indian, commie patriot whatever, once at the top you get lavish compensation for selling your soul and start making sure that working class are kept as slaves that they are.

As much as Harvard's douches bitch about pay gap in the private sector, you know that in their own backyard, it's the worst.

Also remember the commie f***s Ben & Jerry? Yeah, so originally they had condified that highest paid worker could not make more than x times of lowest worker ... and then they got taste of money and decided to f*** with that rule. They still bitch about promoting communism, like Bernie, like all those a**h***s.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[rofl]

The irony is the people who call children, teenagers and young adult snowflakes are presumably old gen X or baby boomers.

A baby boomer calling any human to ever live outside their generation a snowflake is literally laugh out loud funny.
It's all cyclical. Woodstock hippies turned into boomers. Millennial will eventually make it there as well, just as Gex X/Y/Z have now. The argument isn't about any one specific generation. It is about the difference of opinion as priorities change throughout life. Some for better, some for worse. No generation is innocent. No generation is sole to blame. This fight has been going on since the dawn of time.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
It's all cyclical. Woodstock hippies turned into boomers. Millennial will eventually make it there as well, just as Gex X/Y/Z have now. The argument isn't about any one specific generation. It is about the difference of opinion as priorities change throughout life. Some for better, some for worse. No generation is innocent. No generation is sole to blame. This fight has been going on since the dawn of time.
Theres even a word for it.

Besides all the mindless and lazy cliches that go on between generations this threads retarded. how the f*** is anyone supposed to be able to do anything in Boston/Cambridge under $25 an hour?

The entire "discussion" (there isn't one, it's just an excuse for stupid people to shit talk other groups) is lose-lose. If a person says they arent getting what they should be, they are entitled. If a person uses government programs to help support them due to CoL, they are entitled. There is no winning in conversations with people who have literally zero f***ing idea what they are even talking about.

We had a thread here recently where some poster proudly stated his engineers got 50k a year. Best laugh in a while.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they try this at my law school, I'll have to go all Calvin Coolidge on my peers and break out the M1903s and M1917s and insist that there's no right to strike when striking endangers the grading process.

TC McQuade

NES Member
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
$25.00 Hour isn't that minimum wage why would they be looking for so little? It appears that they aren't using the skills taught at Harvard to to reach far and wide. Go for $50.00 - $75.00 an hour at least. They are worth it as a Harvard Graduate!

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Besides all the mindless and lazy cliches that go on between generations this threads retarded. how the f*** is anyone supposed to be able to do anything in Boston/Cambridge under $25 an hour?

The entire "discussion" (there isn't one, it's just an excuse for stupid people to shit talk other groups) is lose-lose. If a person says they arent getting what they should be, they are entitled. If a person uses government programs to help support them due to CoL, they are entitled. There is no winning in conversations with people who have literally zero f***ing idea what they are even talking about.

We had a thread here recently where some poster proudly stated his engineers got 50k a year. Best laugh in a while.
I dont know all the details, but I knew a girl while I was studying (2005) that worked for Harvard and she told me her tuition was "free" as a Harvard employee. Maybe that changed now.

Taking that into considerarion, $25/hr, for some experience and an education while you work is not that bad. These are mostly young people, no families, renting a room somewhere.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
I dont know all the details, but I knew a girl while I was studying (2005) that worked for Harvard and she told me her tuition was "free" as a Harvard employee. Maybe that changed now.

Taking that into considerarion, $25/hr, for some experience and an education while you work is not that bad. These are mostly young people, no families, renting a room somewhere.
It is bad if you already hold a degree, are providing work that is extremely profitable for your employer while you don't have enough gas money for the car you cant afford for the parking spot you cant afford to go pick up your paycheck thats worth $98.

Keep in mind that Harvard is saying NO to $25 an hour.

Union members want a collective bargaining agreement with several guarantees: a $25 minimum wage for hourly workers; expanded health care benefits including mental health coverage; and stronger protections against sexual harassment and discrimination with a new arbitration process for complaints.
Harvard's latest proposal would raise the minimum hourly pay rate to $15 for non-salaried student workers and $17 for hourly instructional workers. The rates would increase by 5% in years two and three of the contract, but the union has pushed for a 5% increase after year one and 3.5% in subsequent years.

Yumusak said some university workers are making just over $12 an hour for research work. She called that "unacceptable" and said greater "pay stability" with guaranteed raises is needed for salaried workers.

Smoke Crack, Harvard.

I was making $13 an hour as an unskilled laborer 16+ years ago.

Woodsy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
In the north woods likely hunting or trapping
They do have an argument since many highly paid tenured Profs use these folks for the majority of their teaching work. Harvard has plenty of cash and I know first hand they do not share it much in the way of tuition reimbursement until you get into Grad school and then it’s just a waiver while you work the school anyway. UAW is always looking for members since they have declined so much. Seems like Liberal Harvard is now on the reviewing end of what it has preached for so long. Why Harvard Pays Service Workers a Living Wage

Broccoli Iglesias

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
It is bad if you already hold a degree, are providing work that is extremely profitable for your employer while you don't have enough gas money for the car you cant afford for the parking spot you cant afford to go pick up your paycheck thats worth $98.

Keep in mind that Harvard is saying NO to $25 an hour.

Smoke Crack, Harvard.

I was making $13 an hour as an unskilled laborer 16+ years ago.
Good point.

I was making $16.50, while studying, driving a forklift in 2005. A job that took a full 30min to train.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It really depends on the individual's situation. If they have the main living expense (housing) via student loans deferred until they have to repay loans, then $25 an hour as a college student/grad should be more than enough for a full time employee, even in Cambridge. That's like $50k a year on non-housing expenses. My own college education was 15 years ago, and granted that was a long time ago, but I was living off of sub $20k/year while a student and I paid for my own housing. Had to really suffer though. 4 people illegally living in a 1 bedroom split at one point. Ramen noodles for every meal for months. It was brutal, but I just figured that's what all college students experienced at some point in life.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
60   0   0
The grad students do all the work, they ought to get a decent rate of pay. If the institution is rich, they should pay up. It's like college athletes; the college makes millions, pays the coach millions, they players get nothing (except permanent brain damage from concussions).

It's a capitalist proposition; a big research university needs top recruits to pump out the research results. Why should they get it for free? As for fluffy degrees like sociology, they should pay the market rate (which would likely be a lot lower than hard sciences).

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
It really depends on the individual's situation. If they have the main living expense (housing) via student loans deferred until they have to repay loans, then $25 an hour as a college student/grad should be more than enough for a full time employee, even in Cambridge. That's like $50k a year on non-housing expenses. My own college education was 15 years ago, and granted that was a long time ago, but I was living off of sub $20k/year while a student and I paid for my own housing. Had to really suffer though. 4 people illegally living in a 1 bedroom split at one point. Ramen noodles for every meal for months. It was brutal, but I just figured that's what all college students experienced at some point in life.
The problem is student debt is the great lord lucifer of debt. And the system is thrilled to give you some of that sweet sexy cash for your room and board.

That's another problem loosely tied to cost of living that's going to bend us all over one way or another if or when it breaks.

I hold zero student debt. I'm actually back in school now for another degree. I use the GI bill and associates. If I didn't have that I'd be screwed. I can't take on student loan debt.

ReluctantDecoy

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is student debt is the great lord lucifer of debt. And the system is thrilled to give you some of that sweet sexy cash for your room and board.

That's another problem loosely tied to cost of living that's going to bend us all over one way or another if or when it breaks.

I hold zero student debt. I'm actually back in school now for another degree. I use the GI bill and associates. If I didn't have that I'd be screwed. I can't take on student loan debt.
But the current discussion is living wage for now, not what one will make after they graduate (particularly at Harvard). If I knew I'd be getting a degree from Harvard, I'd take that gamble on deferring current living expenses to when I'll hopefully be making Harvard graduate money.

Top Bottom