Harvard Sportsmen's Club

IMHO the difference between making a mistake and just being a jerk lies in the reaction to someone telling you that you're breaking the rules. Some people will own up to it, apologize, and stop the behavior. Others will try to argue, take offense, and possibly continue the behavior. It's a big difference. So far in my years at Harvard every time I spoke to someone about a rules violation I witnessed they were embarrassed at their own mistake and corrected their behavior - no harm, no foul.
Two sides to that - politeness on the part of the person pointing out the issue goes a long. First one who starts being impolite is the jerk.

The worst I ever saw was a member at a club I was visiting being told "You had better think carefully about the next words out of your mouth since I can have you thrown out of this club".

Last edited:
Two sides to that - politeness on the part of the person pointing out the issue goes a long. First one who starts being impolite is the jerk.

The worst I ever saw as a member at a club I was being visited being told "You had better think carefully about the next words out of your mouth since I can have you thrown out of this club".
I'd be like "you can keep your club then, bye."

Life is too short to deal with clubs run by shitheads.... especially considering there are a lot of clubs run by great, reasonable people.

I'd be like "you can keep your club then, bye."

Life is too short to deal with clubs run by shitheads.... especially considering there are a lot of clubs run by great, reasonable people.
The club was to far from my house to be on my "might join" list, so did not have the pleasure of responding by not joining.

And to clarify, those words were said to a club member in my presence, not me. (correcting my post). Big nuance difference between "was" and "as".

Last edited:

The worst I ever saw was a member at a club I was visiting being told "You had better think carefully about the next words out of your mouth since I can have you thrown out of this club".
There is someone at Harvard with a similar attitude. I won't name any names.

Quite honestly, I don't know his name, just his face.

Also, what good would it serve? If you've had or witnessed a negative encounter with him, then you already know. If not, and you have one, you'll know at that time. And if you have a pleasant encounter with him, then good on him for being respectful and you won't have any preconceived negative bias.

well, after such a buildup of drama we definitely need to name a name. :)
I don't think you need anyone else's help to form opinions about people you meet. We're not in a sewing circle here.

It's just like every time I've started a new job, there was someone who loved to gossip and would try to "warn me" about so-and-so. I always dismissed those comments. I'd rather meet so-and-so and form my own opinion.

Also, what good would it serve? If you've had or witnessed a negative encounter with him, then you already know. If not, and you have one, you'll know at that time. And if you have a pleasant encounter with him, then good on him for being respectful and you won't have any preconceived negative bias.

Is it the guy that qualifies people on the machine gun range?

It's just like every time I've started a new job, there was someone who loved to gossip and would try to "warn me" about so-and-so. I always dismissed those comments. I'd rather meet so-and-so and form my own opinion.
Amen. I wish more people in the professional world had this mindset.

i had an encounter with some person twice, i think, who did not like me walking in the pit with concrete floor pointing handgun down forward.
i am polite enough to agree and stop doing it while he was still watching. some people do have too much to say, i guess, may be he is deprived at home where a psychopathic wife would thrash him. who knows. dunno, not my business.

ps. for the record - the one and only thing that annoys me at harvard is that we cannot shoot 22lr at 200yds range. it is just plain stupid, especially considering that to shoot at 200/300 you have to qualify. all the rest is just fine.

why plural? there is 1 (one) full auto pit there. next to it, the short one with multiple steel plates - people who shoot full auto .223 there, imho, are out of their minds.
You're not allowed to shoot rifle calibers at those steel plates but subgubs (in pistol calibers) can go full auto.

Full auto is also allowed at the 100, I believe.

Where does it say that in the rule book?

(Hint: it doesn't)
I'm guessing he means the last sentence at the top of Flak Alley:
"Members and guests may use handguns, shotguns, and rifles, space permitting."

Which, as I've always understood it, is about the fact that every range at the club is open to use by firearms but only a couple by machine guns.

why plural? there is 1 (one) full auto pit there. next to it, the short one with multiple steel plates - people who shoot full auto .223 there, imho, are out of their minds.
That pit is not for rifle cartridges. It is for FA pistol calibers. It is one of 5 ranges that support full auto fire, and one of two that are specifically built for the use of machine guns

You're not allowed to shoot rifle calibers at those steel plates but subgubs (in pistol calibers) can go full auto.

And the Back 40, and the 65.

shitload of a .223 brass on a ground at that range... so, just saying.

And the Back 40, and the 65.
i did not know 100yds was allowed for full auto, does not make much sense - looking at the map and the possible trajectory of where those rounds will fly if overshot the berm.
especially in the light of the .22lr being forbidden for same reasons at 200.

Back
Top Bottom