• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard Sportsmen's Club

I was talking to Mark yesterday and I think he's going to the club to work on the 100 yard range this weekend. The steel targets are down because people keep shooting the chains and he can't keep up. I know it's deliberate but it's impossible to prove and Mesatchornug I think a lift kit might be better than a sign. I know it would be more fun.
What would be really fun would be to borrow Tiny for a minute...

Well, it’s sad if steel will remain down. Is there a way, dunno, to bury a rail there and make something indestructible? I would love to help too, as steel at 100 is one of my favorite things to do.
I'm sure it'll be up...until it's down again. This happens off and on. Like @gerrycaruso said, it seems some people think it's fun to aim at the chains instead of the targets. On the one hand, congrats to their hard-earned precision; on the other, this is why we can't have nice things.

What would be really fun would be to borrow Tiny for a minute...

I'm sure it'll be up...until it's down again. This happens off and on. Like @gerrycaruso said, it seems some people think it's fun to aim at the chains instead of the targets. On the one hand, congrats to their hard-earned precision; on the other, this is why we can't have nice things.
Any chance you guys can use rubber hangers? They last a long ass time.

Mines held up for years.
0900497F-5695-46AB-85BA-07EFE693D4EF.jpeg
A1203B76-849D-46F5-954F-4412E56BCDBC.png

Those chains do indeed get shot down all the time - whether that's due to good aim or bad I do not know.

Any chance you guys can use rubber hangers? They last a long ass time.

Mines held up for years.
View attachment 451246
View attachment 451247
Mark used to use firehose. I'm sure it can't hurt to propose other materials.

Mark used to use firehose. I'm sure it can't hurt to propose other materials.
Do not have a picture- but essentially you can bolt the plate to a car/track tire, to a lower section of it. And then hang tire up, or bolt it to a stand. A tire lasts a bit of time and does not cause ricochet.

Guys, as for the steel I sent you both an email. Steel will return , I was putting it off until spring but maybe we can hobble something together sooner.
ETA the main issue isn’t the chains themselves as I have been using hardened steel, it’s the deliberate shots of the hardware and some people like using 300winmag lol

Last edited:
Guys, as for the steel I sent you both an email. Steel will return , I was putting it off until spring but maybe we can hobble something together sooner.
ETA the main issue isn’t the chains themselves as I have been using hardened steel, it’s the deliberate shots of the hardware and some people like using 300winmag lol
I really think a best solution is to use something that will not be tempting shooting at at all. Either a tire or old rubber backstop piece - something that can absorb a lot of holes- hang it on the existing setu and then bolt a plate to it.

I totally get it needs to be as simple as possible to simplify repairs, as nothing is indestructible.

I really think a best solution is to use something that will not be tempting shooting at at all. Either a tire or old rubber backstop piece - something that can absorb a lot of holes- hang it on the existing setu and then bolt a plate to it.

I totally get it needs to be as simple as possible to simplify repairs, as nothing is indestructible.
No matter what is out there, those bent on destruction, will shoot it. That said, the chains I used last time held up for over a year it’s the connecting hardware that gets shot through at one point or another. Plastic/rubber works well when there aren’t 2600 people shooting at it. Spall takes a toll because of the sheer volume of shooters. I’ve tried multitudes of different setups from steel cable to firehose. Your tire idea isn’t too far off, Jason Grennel and I talked about using a tractor tire at one point.

If you use a hanger material that can take a lot of abuse, the people doing all the damage will shoot at the connection between hanger and target.

I never understood why clubs dont lock the steel up, put a CCTV cam on the shed/locker, and make people sign in and out for it or something.

Then there is a note field next to the place you sign it back in "chain needs repair" etc, whatever it might be.

Years ago I remember one club that sort of did this. Or at least the steel was locked up so only certain members could access it.

I wouldn't join any range that had cameras and sign in sheets.
Our club has cameras. They're used when equipment is found abused, otherwise they overwrite themselves regularly.

That said, we make a point of having some steel on most ranges because it prevents people from setting it up dangerously - causing ricochet etc. The problem is that the larger your community gets, the more people you have who don't care about the work that goes into maintaining things: "I pay my dues, I can do what I want." Maintaining community standards is a really hard problem.

i just wonder if any of them are here. it was more than 20 groups in that line yesterday, i think. at least it looked like that - but - i did not count. :)
a great club, i am very grateful to my sponsor - mike gillette - for my membership. love action pits, and, it is a lot of space. i like it all very much.
Let the others know about this forum and encourage them to go green here.

Not a sign in sheet but every time you use your access card at the gate there is a record of you coming in. Of course, there are many ways around this if you know HSC at all. Many days (used to be) when gates were open for shoots that were open to non-members. I wasn't a fan of the proposition to install cameras at HSC when I was there as VP but I also was aware of all the dumb shit people pulled and the reason why it was being proposed. I left before any cameras were authorized or installed so I am not sure what became of it. From what I saw, the HSC board reacted deliberately, not in a rush to infringe on people's enjoyment, and usually only after a long string of abuses where nothing else seemed to work.

Lol some decent clubs have both, it’s almost unavoidable now. One club where i used to “legally” shoot at appliances even had trail cams, to try to catch trespassers more than anything else though.... (club had problems with an abutter).

That said, we make a point of having some steel on most ranges because it prevents people from setting it up dangerously - causing ricochet etc. The problem is that the larger your community gets, the more people you have who don't care about the work that goes into maintaining things: "I pay my dues, I can do what I want." Maintaining community standards is a really hard problem.
I do wish we could set up our own steel in the action pits but I understand it's a risk. It's tough dealing with a large club and trying to find the balance between making sure that the lowest common denominator doesn't get the club shut down versus maximizing enjoyment for responsible members by not having silly rules.

Not a sign in sheet but every time you use your access card at the gate there is a record of you coming in. Of course, there are many ways around this if you know HSC at all. Many days (used to be) when gates were open for shoots that were open to non-members. I wasn't a fan of the proposition to install cameras at HSC when I was there as VP but I also was aware of all the dumb shit people pulled and the reason why it was being proposed. I left before any cameras were authorized or installed so I am not sure what became of it. From what I saw, the HSC board reacted deliberately, not in a rush to infringe on people's enjoyment, and usually only after a long string of abuses where nothing else seemed to work.
iirc the gate has been broken on occasion so I believe that's why there's a camera there now, but I could be misinformed.

I do wish we could set up our own steel in the action pits but I understand it's a risk. It's tough dealing with a large club and trying to find the balance between making sure that the lowest common denominator doesn't get the club shut down versus maximizing enjoyment for responsible members by not having silly rules.
That's what we get for being successful...
iirc the gate has been broken on occasion so I believe that's why there's a camera there now, but I could be misinformed.
Right.

Similarly, we've found holes shot through steel at the Back 40, implying centerfire rifles were used at like 30 feet...

I belong to two clubs and both have electronic gates and cameras. In today’s anti club climate I don’t mind the cameras at all. If someone is doing dumb crap I want them found out and removed before something happens that could endanger the club.

If you’re a safe shooter doing nothing wrong, you have nothing to fear with the cameras being there.

we`ve hanged one steel plate successfully this morning and it is awesome. :)
i even managed to hit it with my shadow 2 from 100yds, felt great. i suggested to Mark may be a mass email would be helpful to be sent about this topic, but, it may produce a contereffect, of course, if some people are trying to be a**h***s on purpose.

Thanks to all who keep the steel targets going! I don’t understand the stupid sh*t people do. HSC is such a great club/range, all volunteers, no insane range nazis. you’d think people would appreciate how fast it could go away in today’s world.

we`ve hanged one steel plate successfully this morning and it is awesome. :)
i even managed to hit it with my shadow 2 from 100yds, felt great. i suggested to Mark may be a mass email would be helpful to be sent about this topic, but, it may produce a contereffect, of course, if some people are trying to be a**h***s on purpose.
Paul, thanks again for coming out to help today I truly appreciate the effort and interest. I’ll get to setting up something to hold repair parts next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom