• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard sportsman club

I would offer, but Sundays are tough for me with work. If you don't have any luck with the breakfast and can do a mid week day time trip, send me a PM and I'll try to make something work.

I hear you on it being furthur than you would like. I'm over an hour away, but I still think it is worth it. There are a few clubs within a half hour from me, and I still chose Harvard.

Unless you are able to find a sponsor by Thursday, you will have to wait until the following month. Meetings are held on the First Thursday of the month.

ETA:
Thanks for the tip. What time does it start?
Looks like 6am -11am Atleast that is what it says on the Schedule. I wouldn't get there that early. I think you can't start making noise until 9am on Sundays. I'd have to check the rulebook on that one though.

Last edited:
I would offer, but Sundays are tough for me with work. If you don't have any luck with the breakfast and can do a mid week day time trip, send me a PM and I'll try to make something work.

I hear you on it being furthur than you would like. I'm over an hour away, but I still think it is worth it. There are a few clubs within a half hour from me, and I still chose Harvard.

Unless you are able to find a sponsor by Thursday, you will have to wait until the following month. Meetings are held on the First Thursday of the month.

ETA:

Looks like 6am -11am Atleast that is what it says on the Schedule. I wouldn't get there that early. I think you can't start making noise until 9am on Sundays. I'd have to check the rulebook on that one though.

Thanks man I appreciate it. Do you know if they're accepting new members without really long wait times? I'm also assuming there's no 6 month probation before you can shoot on the rifle ranges?

Thanks man I appreciate it. Do you know if they're accepting new members without really long wait times? I'm also assuming there's no 6 month probation before you can shoot on the rifle ranges?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Harvard is still accepting new members. You will need to attend the range rules orientation. I don't remember how long that takes, but I think a couple weeks. There is no probation period. You can't use the 200/300 yard range until you qualify for that range

I'm not sure what you are asking.

Harvard is still accepting new members. You will need to attend the range rules orientation. I don't remember how long that takes, but I think a couple weeks. There is no probation period. You can't use the 200/300 yard range until you qualify for that range

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I just joined MRA in woburn yesterday and they took my $355 but I can't even get in for orientation until mid April. Then an interview 2 weeks later. Then a 6 month probationary period before I can even shoot on the outdoor rifle range. I'll be sighting in my new deer gun in November at that rate.

I was wondering if Harvard had a long backlog for new members. If not I kind of want to call and cancel at MRA.

What does the 200/300 yard qualification entail?

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I just joined MRA in woburn yesterday and they took my $355 but I can't even get in for orientation until mid April. Then an interview 2 weeks later. Then a 6 month probationary period before I can even shoot on the outdoor rifle range. I'll be sighting in my new deer gun in November at that rate.

I was wondering if Harvard had a long backlog for new members. If not I kind of want to call and cancel at MRA.

No backlog for new members. You join at the monthly member meeting which occurs the first Thursday of each month. You'll need a sponsor who is an existing member. Once you join, the safety briefing is typically the following Sunday. Once you've done the safety briefing, your gate card comes within a few weeks.

The 200/300 range qualification is pretty simple. I forget the exact details, but basically if you can hit a 12" target at 200 yards, you can qualify.

I was wondering if Harvard had a long backlog for new members.

Not that I'm aware of. Try sending a PM to Dan Hurley. He is the president.

First, you need to sight in your rifle at the 100 yard range, and bring a 5-shot group target with you to the 200/300 yard qualification. That qualification is given on Sundays, usually once or twice a month, around noon. Then you need to shoot a decent group at the 200 yard range, while under supervision of the qualification guys.

It's not a big deal if you have a scope. That said, while I was able to shoot a decent group with my AR-15 and Eotech on the 100 yard range, I simply couldn't get it to group worth a damn at 200 and failed qualification.

Not that I'm aware of. Try sending a PM to Dan Hurley. He is the president.

First, you need to sight in your rifle at the 100 yard range, and bring a 5-shot group target with you to the 200/300 yard qualification. That qualification is given on Sundays, usually once or twice a month, around noon. Then you need to shoot a decent group at the 200 yard range, while under supervision of the qualification guys.

It's not a big deal if you have a scope. That said, while I was able to shoot a decent group with my AR-15 and Eotech on the 100 yard range, I simply couldn't get it to group worth a damn at 200 and failed qualification.

Cool thanks for the info. Do you have to shoot off hand or from the bench for the qualification?

Cool thanks for the info. Do you have to shoot off hand or from the bench for the qualification?

From a bench. You can shoot at 100 yards before any qualification but after the safety orientation on the weekend after the meeting when you join.

If you don't qualify right away, you can still zero your scope, and shoot at 100yds any time.

From the bench.

- - - Updated - - -

From a bench. You can shoot at 100 yards before any qualification but after the safety orientation on the weekend after the meeting when you join.

If you don't qualify right away, you can still zero your scope, and shoot at 100yds any time.

This.

Qualification is only required for the 200/300 yard ranges and for the machine gun ranges. No qualification is needed for the 50/100 yard range.

Thanks again guys.

Do you think if I showed up to the meeting this Thursday there's any chance I might find a willing sponsor? I'd have to change my commute and drive into Boston and leave work early to make it so I wouldn't really want to do it unless there's a decent chance someone would sponsor.

Idpa practice tonight and uspsa practice wed. Both at 7 at indoor range, and I believe open to the public. (I know uspsa weds is)
Probably better luck finding a sponsor if they have spent a couple minutes with you on the range.

Thanks again guys.

Do you think if I showed up to the meeting this Thursday there's any chance I might find a willing sponsor? I'd have to change my commute and drive into Boston and leave work early to make it so I wouldn't really want to do it unless there's a decent chance someone would sponsor.

PM Dan Hurley, club Pres. and member here. I've seen him sponsor walk-ins. If he doesn't respond there's a good chance either he or another member will step up to sponsor you, at the meeting. Ask for him when you arrive. Bring your checkbook. Orientation will be the following Saturday, or on rare occasions, Sunday.

Question for anyone who may know:
Is there a cut off in the year that they stop accepting memberships? One of the guys at work is going to sponsor me but finding time to go when we are both off is difficult.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question for anyone who may know:
Is there a cut off in the year that they stop accepting memberships? One of the guys at work is going to sponsor me but finding time to go when we are both off is difficult.

I am not aware of any cut off regarding HSC membership. It's a thriving club and they welcome new and responsible members.

I am not aware of any cut off regarding HSC membership. It's a thriving club and they welcome new and responsible members.

Thank you.

If anyone is willing to sponsor someone shoot me a message. Probably going to have to wait until the first thursday of May at this point.

Hey folks, I'm a new LTC recipient looking for a home. Since I live nearby, HSC seems like a pretty logical choice. I'm a very responsible owner mostly looking to shoot steel with a nice Volquartsen 22 that I recently picked up. If anyone would be kind enough to volunteer to sponsor me, please shoot me a message - don't know anyone over there these days. Thx.

There is a steel challenge match on June 18th at 9:30 AM. It is open to the public. Bring your .22 along with at least 5 magazines and compete. Tell the folks on your squad that you are looking to join. You will likely find a member who will sponsor you.

Last edited:
There is a steel challenge match on June 1th at 9:30 AM. It is open to the public. Bring your .22 along with at least 5 magazines and compete. Tell the folks on your squad that you are looking to join. You will likely find a member who will sponsor you.

I think you meant June 18th right [smile]

Back
Top Bottom