• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard sportsman club

Thanks for the info guys. I don't mind company, just not into waiting for a lane/station if I can avoid it. I'm at MRA now, and last couple times I've been there on weekends there it has been very crowded (a wait for a lane last trip). I'd like to keep membership there just for Loeb range (really can't beat 24/7 access that accommodates handgun and centerfire rifle), but other than that, looking for a nice outdoor club.

What's the best way to get sponsored at HSC? I have heard about Wednesday night meetings for ISPC or something of that nature, but unfortunately due to work schedule, it is tough for me to get there at that particular time. Are there any weekend functions, meetings, etc. that I could attend to meet someone?

Thanks for any info.

Monthly breakfasts are another great way to meet members. There is one tomorrow, come anytime from around 8 to 10:30.

Any members attending the breakfast this weekend? I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give a relatively new shooter (me) a tour. Big thanks in advance.

Any members attending the breakfast this weekend? I was hoping someone would be kind enough to give a relatively new shooter (me) a tour. Big thanks in advance.

I will be there for the breakfast and work party. I (or pretty much anyone else there) can give you a tour of the club, but there won't be much (if any) shooting going on because of the work party.

Thanks, are there any other opportunities to find a sponsor other than the Wednesday night practice and the breakfasts? I work from 2:30 to 11 so I can't make the practice, and finding someone willing to sponsor after only a few hours of meeting seems more or less impossible.

Thanks, are there any other opportunities to find a sponsor other than the Wednesday night practice and the breakfasts? I work from 2:30 to 11 so I can't make the practice, and finding someone willing to sponsor after only a few hours of meeting seems more or less impossible.

I can't speak for anyone else, but my personal policy is that I need to go shooting with someone and get a feel for how conscientious they are with regard to safety before I sponsor them. It doesn't take too long to tell if someone takes safety seriously.

There are other events that are open to the public where you can find a sponsor. IDPA and USPSA matches and Appleseed clinics are two I can think of of the top of my head.

I am going to be connecting with another prospective new member in the next few days. Send me a pm and maybe we can find a time that works for you too. (But it's worth skipping work to come to a Wednesday night practice.)

Just completed the Intro to IDPA clinic this weekend and I must say I was quite impressed with the what I saw of the facilities. Are the action pits available for use by members when they aren't being used for events?

Just completed the Intro to IDPA clinic this weekend and I must say I was quite impressed with the what I saw of the facilities. Are the action pits available for use by members when they aren't being used for events?

Yes indeed. That's one of the best parts of being an HSC member. Get yourself some target stands, drive into an unused pit, and start your action shooting practice.

I hope you enjoyed the clinic.

I had a great time. It was professionally run and certainly demonstrated how quickly these shooting sports can become addicting. One thing I was not prepared for was the adrenaline dump experienced with shooting a stage like those presented for the first time.

Now I just need to find the time to come down for a Monday nigh practice or maybe stop by on a Wednesday to check out how the USPSA folks do it. It would also be nice to get a look at the rest of the facilities since I only saw the clubhouse and the action pits.

All in all, the focus on safety was refreshing. It's always nice to be able to enjoy a shooting experience without having to worry about someone next to you doing something really stupid.

I had a great time. It was professionally run and certainly demonstrated how quickly these shooting sports can become addicting.

Awesome! I enjoy helping out at the clinic each year. I was on stage #2.

One thing I was not prepared for was the adrenaline dump experienced with shooting a stage like those presented for the first time.

That lessens over time. When you are on the line, getting ready, breath deeply and repeat a mantra to yourself -- mine is what Mike Seeklander suggested: "grip the gun, see the sights."

Now I just need to find the time to come down for a Monday nigh practice or maybe stop by on a Wednesday to check out how the USPSA folks do it. It would also be nice to get a look at the rest of the facilities since I only saw the clubhouse and the action pits.

The USPSA folks are great. I may be shooting more USPSA than IDPA this year.

All in all, the focus on safety was refreshing. It's always nice to be able to enjoy a shooting experience without having to worry about someone next to you doing something really stupid.

As an SO, there were a couple times people needed to be reminded about muzzle direction or finger, but they will learn quickly.

Just completed the Intro to IDPA clinic this weekend and I must say I was quite impressed with the what I saw of the facilities.

I was there too! I had a great time as well and was also glad to see the focus on safety while not dampening the fun. I was in the squad that started stage 2 first.

Awesome! I enjoy helping out at the clinic each year. I was on stage #2.

I thought the SOs and staff were great, thanks to you for your time that day. I was corrected on a few things, and it was totally cool and done with a positive and helpful attitude.

I am thinking of doing the classification match in May.

Did you ask specifically to be assigned to the "mud" pit? Stage 2 proved the adage that you don't always get to chose the ground you fight on.

No, those assignments were made by those at a higher pay grade. For a moment on Saturday morning, I considered wearing my lighter weight boots, which aren't waterproof. Fortunately, reason prevailed and I wore my waterproof boots. I felt bad for those who were not wearing waterproof boots.

We had a great crew at the shotgun range cleanup, we cleared the field of debris, removed all the thrash, and got all three throwers fully repaired and operational.

We had a great crew at the shotgun range cleanup, we cleared the field of debris, removed all the thrash, and got all three throwers fully repaired and operational.

We sure did! I also ordered some covers for the throwers to help protect them from the elements, and am looking into getting some better wrenches for adjusting them.

Do we have enough users that a regulation trap field and thrower(s) would be considered?

The idea has been tossed around, but there aren't any plans to build out a regulation field at this time.

Like everything else at the club, if someone seriously wants it to get done and is willing to drive the project, then it can probably get done.

I am going to be connecting with another prospective new member in the next few days. Send me a pm and maybe we can find a time that works for you too. (But it's worth skipping work to come to a Wednesday night practice.)
Huge thanks to Dan for having me as his guest today. Had a blast at the fun shoot. Also big thanks to everyone who let me shoot their firearms. (sorry I'm horrible with names)

JULY MEETING CANCELED

The Board voted to cancel the July monthly meeting, which would have fallen on July 3. The next monthly meeting will be Thursday, August 7.

What's going on with the site? I went to see what time the trap shoot is tomorrow and the site is unavailable.

Thanks Mike. I'll be there. Can I bring a guest? He is pretty good at hitting clays with his Saiga 12.

Thanks Mike. I'll be there. Can I bring a guest? He is pretty good at hitting clays with his Saiga 12.

Yep, guests are welcome. The trap shoots are not "public" in that non-members can't just show up, but guests are fine.

I'm interested in joining HSC. Any HSC/NES member that might be willing to show me around the club? Sounds like a fantastic club and well worth the hour ride from the North Shore. I belong to Mystic Valley and am only experienced with handguns, but would like to get an AR (or maybe AK), and am also very curious about IDPA.

Thanks in advance[grin]

You don't need to be a member to attend an IDPA match. Come out for a match and you can find someone to show you around.

Thanks. I did some Googling. Looks like the next IDPA event is Sept 27th. Does that sound right? I actually might be out if town that weekend, not sure yet.

Anyway, If anyone is willing to show me around before then, let me know.[thumbsup]

Back
Top Bottom