• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard sportsman club

Maybe it is only for me, but I can't see any events on the calendar. When are the next events non-members can attend?

As of the latest email from Harvard, you are now able to pay your dues online. The email includes a link to a secure portal. I did not see a PayPal option. CC only. Much easier than schlepping to the PO in the snow! Good job Harvard!

As of the latest email from Harvard, you are now able to pay your dues online. The email includes a link to a secure portal. I did not see a PayPal option. CC only. Much easier than schlepping to the PO in the snow! Good job Harvard!

I would imagine this will save the club significant administrative overhead as more members adapt to using the option.

Does anyone have a status on the HSC forums?

Just in case you ever wondered what the club looks like after dark:

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet but bears repeating anyway. If anyone is interested in archery, Jeff and company have built a new instructional archery area complete with Kevlar screen, clubhouse, practice equip for very young archers, target, etc.

It is in a word, unbelievable.

I'm going to try it out so I can hunt where the deer are next year.[wink]

What an awesome opportunity for kids too.

Just in case you ever wondered what the club looks like after dark:

One time I locked my keys in my trunk by mistake and had to walk from the clubhouse to the gate to meet my brother with a spare. It was a complete blackout where I couldn't even see one yard in front of me. Cellphone lights are useless in that kind of darkness. That walk felt like forever. [lol]

Last edited by a moderator:
One time I locked my keys in my trunk by mistake and had to walk from the clubhouse to the gate to meet my brother with a spare. It was a complete blackout where I couldn't even see one yard in front of me. Cellphone lights are useless in that kind of darkness. That walk felt like forever. [lol]
I went hiking in western MA once a little too late in the afternoon. Hiked down using just a cell phone screen - even though I knew the trail well, that SUCKED!

Since the site is still down (seriously, I made a forum in one evening when I was 18 - what's the problem here?), does anyone know the schedule and process for the 200/300 qualifications? Better yet, what's Ed's contact info?

Since the site is still down (seriously, I made a forum in one evening when I was 18 - what's the problem here?), does anyone know the schedule and process for the 200/300 qualifications? Better yet, what's Ed's contact info?

The calendar has been moved to google, but it looks like the next qual is supposed to be next Sunday - http://www.harvardsportsmensclub.com/calendar.html

I'm a helpless child without that forum...

What's the story with PCCs? Are they allowed on the 7 yard range? Plates at 25? Indoors?

I'm a helpless child without that forum...

What's the story with PCCs? Are they allowed on the 7 yard range? Plates at 25? Indoors?

PCC's?

There is a plate rack at the 25 yard range, far left side. I don't believe plates are allowed at the indoor range - possible ricochets back at you and to other parts of the range itself.

But then again, I haven't been to HSC in about 3 years.

PCC's?

There is a plate rack at the 25 yard range, far left side. I don't believe plates are allowed at the indoor range - possible ricochets back at you and to other parts of the range itself.

But then again, I haven't been to HSC in about 3 years.

HUH???

Pistol
Caliber
Carbine

IE anything from a subgun to rifle that is chambered in a pistol caliber (usually 9mm).

I believe they are allowed on all the outdoor ranges but not allowed to be shot at the plate racks?
This wouldn't surprise me - we have a moronic rule against any and all rifles when it comes to those plates, including .22R, literally because someone might see a rifle and think they can shoot any rifle there - it's a FUDD train of thought that doesn't belong at a club as good as Harvard but it is what it is.

Anyways, are PCCs allowed at the indoor range? A 9mm round won't do much damage even out of a longer barrel than a handgun...

I've always thought that pistol caliber rifles should be allowed at the indoor range so the cowboy shooters could practice in bad/cold weather. They are not allowed. You'll just have to come out in the cold and shoot with me.

This wouldn't surprise me - we have a moronic rule against any and all rifles when it comes to those plates, including .22R, literally because someone might see a rifle and think they can shoot any rifle there - it's a FUDD train of thought that doesn't belong at a club as good as Harvard but it is what it is.

Anyways, are PCCs allowed at the indoor range? A 9mm round won't do much damage even out of a longer barrel than a handgun...

No,it's because idiots on this forum think you can do anything at Harvard so they bring a SKS and start banging away at the plates..You must be a relatively new member there.Every rule there has a reason because common sense isn't so common there anymore.

No,it's because idiots on this forum think you can do anything at Harvard so they bring a SKS and start banging away at the plates..You must be a relatively new member there.Every rule there has a reason because common sense isn't so common there anymore.
People either read the signs/rules or they don't. The sign should say "no centerfire rifles" or "rimfire rifles only". Trying to account for the lowest common denominator is what FUDDs and antis do - don't be a FUDD or an anti.

The fact that you immediately had to go on a personal attack and question how long I've been a member, rather than presenting a coherent logical argument, shows that I'm right.

e31.jpg

I hear this argument all the time and the blind ignorance pisses me off.

What stops someone from shooting an SKS at the plates now? The rule says you can't, right?

Well what would happen if the rule said specifically no centerfire rifles? Any sane person still won't shoot his SKS there! A dumbass will shoot it there regardless of how specific the rule is!

This is literally why we can't have nice things.

Every rule there has a reason because common sense isn't so common there anymore.

yep, this. i'm usually there a couple times a week and have seen folks do some crazy ass shit.

it might be good to contact the range chairman to see if not being able to shoot plates at the 25 yd range with pcc's can be reversed, or at least get a reasonable explanation why that rule is in place.

yep, this. i'm usually there a couple times a week and have seen folks do some crazy ass shit.

it might be good to contact the range chairman to see if not being able to shoot plates at the 25 yd range with pcc's can be reversed, or at least get a reasonable explanation why that rule is in place.
I asked about this back when the forum was operational. Specifically, I wanted to shoot my 10/22 at the 25y plates. After trying the "it's dangerous" and "plates will be damaged" angles unsuccessfully, they said that someone might see me shooting a rifle at the plates, not realize that it's just a .22LR, and think that they can shoot any rifle there.

It's exactly the kind of argument that antis use against us and try to herd us like sheep instead of letting us make our own big-boy decisions. If someone is too stupid to realize that rimfire and centerfire aren't the same and that maybe, just maybe, they shouldn't be blasting pistol plates with big rifles, then they should get kicked out of the club. The rest of us, who don't need our hands held, should be free to enjoy everything Harvard offers.

The idiot I was referring to was the guy with the SKS,who was a member of this forum,not you.I see how you could have taken it that way..I have seen so much stupid moronic shit at Harvard that makes the SKS incident seem tame.

It's just a matter of time before some incident turns that club into a RO supervised club.

The idiot I was referring to was the guy with the SKS,who was a member of this forum,not you.I see how you could have taken it that way..I have seen so much stupid moronic shit at Harvard that makes the SKS incident seem tame.

It's just a matter of time before some incident turns that club into a RO supervised club.
Did the SKS idiot get kicked out of the club?

no 10/22 on plates? I can see why you're questioning that and I can see where it would be a lot of fun, for kids too especially. it might be worth heading to a bod meeting to plead the case.

Back
Top Bottom