• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard sportsman’s club

So I’m thinking of heading up there to check it out and meet some people. when all this crap dies down. For those who are members there is it usually busy Friday morning? If I do become a member friday is probably the day I will be able to go. I am currently a member at trpc While it is a good range the rules are a bit fuddy. No drawing from the holster, no moving while shooting, etc...
It’s about an hour away from where I am so If the wait is usually long to get into the action pits I will probably look at another range. Thanks.

So I’m thinking of heading up there to check it out and meet some people. when all this crap dies down. For those who are members there is it usually busy Friday morning? If I do become a member friday is probably the day I will be able to go. I am currently a member at trpc While it is a good range the rules are a bit fuddy. No drawing from the holster, no moving while shooting, etc...
It’s about an hour away from where I am so If the wait is usually long to get into the action pits I will probably look at another range. Thanks.

Harvard has an electronic gate requiring a valid key card to get in, so you can't just drop in and chat with the members.

I do believe other than certain events, Harvard has a rule about not drawing from a holster too. But overall the rules they have are not very restrictive.

I do believe other than certain events, Harvard has a rule about not drawing from a holster too. But overall the rules they have are not very restrictive.
Really? I would imagine its prohibited everywhere but the action pits right? otherwise whats the point of action pits?

Harvard is a great club. Theres tons of pits and unless theres a tournament going on theres always some empty ones.

At the pits / plate racks / subgun range you can definitely draw, although if theres other people around its probably nice to ask them first and make sure they don't mind.

Theres also special pits for the cowboy dressup matches but I don't think they are open for use outside of those matches.

Harvard is a great club. Theres tons of pits and unless theres a tournament going on theres always some empty ones.

At the pits / plate racks / subgun range you can definitely draw, although if theres other people around its probably nice to ask them first and make sure they don't mind.

Theres also special pits for the cowboy dressup matches but I don't think they are open for use outside of those matches.
Sweet. Thanks for the info.

Yea, from what I read they offer idpa practice open to the public. I figured I would stop by then.
I am going to go out on a limb and say that open practices are probably not a thing right now.
You’d be correct.
I signed up for the Intro to IDPA class in April but heard nothing. I'm assuming it's a no-go. f***ing Chinese Commies and this is not a racist comment just like the Wuhan Virus is fact.
This was posted on FB by the metrowest tactical who runs the IDPA stuff at Harvard. If you’re on FB the group name is Metro West Tactical IDPA Group.
C25DDDB7-5DB9-47C0-BBB5-E209E1B9FD46.jpeg

You can definitely draw from a holster if it’s in the action pits.

All HSC events currently on the club calendar are canceled and regular events such as practices have been suspended - this applies to anything in April.

There is no such rule prohibiting drawing from the holster at any of the ranges, with the hopefully obvious exception of the 200-300yd ranges where you'd better be drawing a long gun in a centerfire caliber....

Hopkinton is considerably closer to Taunton than Harvard (39 vs 76 miles according to maps.google.com). Both are great clubs with presidents who do a fantastic job of running the place with a "for the members" philosophy. Hopkinton has nicer toilets, but the clubhouse is closed for TEOTWAWKI (outdoor ranges are open). Both have multiple action pits, and no restrictions on draw from the holster. You might want to check out the wed practices at Hopkinton once things get back to pseudo-normal. Harvards long range is 200/300 yds and Hopkintons is both 200. Both clubs require you get qualified by "he who does qualifications" in order to use these ranges. Guest welcome, but guests may not use the long ranges. (pretty much identical long range rules at both clubs).

Both clubs are equally great, however, you may find that your propensity to visit a club is proportional to the square of the driving time.

Hopkinton is considerably closer to Taunton than Harvard (39 vs 76 miles according to maps.google.com). Both are great clubs with presidents who do a fantastic job of running the place with a "for the members" philosophy. Hopkinton has nicer toilets, but the clubhouse is closed for TEOTWAWKI (outdoor ranges are open). Both have multiple action pits, and no restrictions on draw from the holster. You might want to check out the wed practices at Hopkinton once things get back to pseudo-normal. Harvards long range is 200/300 yds and Hopkintons is both 200. Both clubs require you get qualified by "he who does qualifications" in order to use these ranges. Guest welcome, but guests may not use the long ranges. (pretty much identical long range rules at both clubs).

Both clubs are equally great, however, you may find that your propensity to visit a club is proportional to the square of the driving time.
Alright thanks for the info. Any idea if hopkinton lets the public go to the uspsa matches?

Alright thanks for the info. Any idea if hopkinton lets the public go to the uspsa matches?
Absolutely. Denying entry as competitors to non-members would be a violation of USPSA rules, and spectators are always welcome. That goes for pretty much any club offering USPSA matches. But, pretty much everything except self service outdoor range use is on hold until Trump vanquishes the virus.

Absolutely. Denying entry as competitors to non-members would be a violation of USPSA rules, and spectators are always welcome. That goes for pretty much any club offering USPSA matches. But, pretty much everything except self service outdoor range use is on hold until Trump vanquishes the virus.
Copy that. Thanks man.

When all this virus bullshit goes away, you can also go to the monthly breakfast to meet people. The club used to be empty on week days but not anymore. If you go on a Friday morning it probably won't be empty but it won't be nearly as crowded as on the week end. I had someone at the 7/10 yard range tell me I couldn't draw and shoot but the guy who runs the 100 yard range said that wasn't correct. My rule book doesn't address that.

My understanding is that drawing from a holster is only allowed in the action pits or at an organized club activity. ( So drawing from holster not normally allowed at indoor range but would be for organized activities). But I checked my copy of club safety rules and found nothing on it.

I think info you got from “guy who runs 100 yard range” is incorrect.

My understanding is that drawing from a holster is only allowed in the action pits or at an organized club activity. ( So drawing from holster not normally allowed at indoor range but would be for organized activities). But I checked my copy of club safety rules and found nothing on it.

I think info you got from “guy who runs 100 yard range” is incorrect.

During the intro talk Dan gives at every meeting it is mentioned that's drawing from a holster is reserved for the action pits including th SASS pits. Anywhere that has benches to shoot From is supposed to be for firearms out on the bench and not from holsters. I have heard that speech dozens of times and at no point is it mentioned about drawing from a holster at any other range.

I signed up for the Intro to IDPA class in April but heard nothing. I'm assuming it's a no-go. f***ing Chinese Commies and this is not a racist comment just like the Wuhan Virus is fact.

There was an email saying the class was postponed to the end of July. You should get a communication shortly if you signed up.

During the intro talk Dan gives at every meeting it is mentioned that's drawing from a holster is reserved for the action pits including th SASS pits. Anywhere that has benches to shoot From is supposed to be for firearms out on the bench and not from holsters. I have heard that speech dozens of times and at no point is it mentioned about drawing from a holster at any other range.

Dan may say that at each membership meeting intro, but you will not find that rule in the rulebook, nor will you see it posted at any of the ranges (to my knowledge).

In other words, while I realize Dan may be the prez, this simply is not an HSC rule. There's no explicit prohibition against drawing from the holster at ranges other than the pits or SASS ranges.

In other words, while I realize Dan may be the prez, this simply is not an HSC rule. There's no explicit prohibition against drawing from the holster at ranges other than the pits or SASS ranges.
Are you accusing the Harvard club president of acting like the Boxboro police chief? Say it ain't so!!!

The range rules may not be embedded in the bylaws, but done separately as is common with many clubs.

Understood, but if it's not codified in the rules (I don't mean the bylaws, I mean the rulebook) and it's not posted at the individual ranges, and it's not part of the Sunday safety briefing members get after joining...how can it be considered a range rule?

Has anyone ever been told they can't draw from a holster at any of the HSC ranges other than the pits/SASS ranges?

Back
Top Bottom