HARVARD OCTOBER 10 MONTHLY MATCH - RIFLE

American Eagle is usually OK . The foreign makes are sometimes a problem. Find someone at the match (I will have one) that has a magnet to test your ammo for you.

Last year there was a magnet at the steel stage. Every round the shooter planned on putting through the rifle was first checked to make sure they were non-magnetic. I would be suprised if the same procedure wasn't used again.

Last year there was a magnet at the steel stage. Every round the shooter planned on putting through the rifle was first checked to make sure they were non-magnetic. I would be suprised if the same procedure wasn't used again.

I understand that but it is a lot better to know ahead of time if you need to scramble for ammo for a stage isn't it?

I understand that but it is a lot better to know ahead of time if you need to scramble for ammo for a stage isn't it?

American Eagle .223 55gr FMJ
Specifically, AE .223 is almost identical to XM193; they even say they are within each other's velocity margin of error. It's copper and lead.

There seem to be some variations, some of which may be "AP", but standard AE.223 does not appear to be steel.

Last edited:
As I stated in my last post. Most Cheap Euro ammo is plated steel jacketed bullets, ie, Wolf, Tula, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, S&B. Most of that stuff shoots poorly too. Fiocchi and PMC do not have steel bullets.

As I stated in my last post. Most Cheap Euro ammo is plated steel jacketed bullets, ie, Wolf, Tula, Silver Bear, Brown Bear, S&B. Most of that stuff shoots poorly too. Fiocchi and PMC do not have steel bullets.

Yes, we realize that, but at 50 yards it really doesn't matter how poorly it shoots because most of it is still good enough at short ranges. The question is how many stages will actually incorporate steel.

Yes, we realize that, but at 50 yards it really doesn't matter how poorly it shoots because most of it is still good enough at short ranges. The question is how many stages will actually incorporate steel.

It appears you'll find out Sunday morning.

Drive down Sat and help build the stages, then you will know before the match, until then its anyones guess.

Mike what is going to be your tool of choice for the day? I've got my fire-breather all cleaned up and ready to go.

Last edited:
The Beast is a lot better with the Pigtail gas tube. I think with an adjustable block, it might actually be fun to shoot. I swapped out the Miculek comp to a Cooley, that made the dot a little easier to track. I want to get a SJC titan comp and try all 4 of my comps back to back

I have a titan on the rifle I'm bringing if you want to try it. It's pinned though, so you can't try it on yours.

So I'm mostly all set for this, and excited to be doing something other than IDPA [grin]. I picked up several more magazines, a couple magazine pouches, a bunch of ammo, and re-sighted in. Picked up a new upper too, although not really just for this match.

Still need to get out the range on Saturday and get used to how my dot moves under recoil. And continue my quest to get my hat camera working.

Also, I'm missing a chamber flag. I have both a rifle case and a bright red cable lock. Would either of those work? The rulebook suggests a case is acceptable, but earlier posts in this thread suggested otherwise. So....?

So I'm mostly all set for this, and excited to be doing something other than IDPA [grin]. I picked up several more magazines, a couple magazine pouches, a bunch of ammo, and re-sighted in. Picked up a new upper too, although not really just for this match.

Still need to get out the range on Saturday and get used to how my dot moves under recoil. And continue my quest to get my hat camera working.

Also, I'm missing a chamber flag. I have both a rifle case and a bright red cable lock. Would either of those work? The rulebook suggests a case is acceptable, but earlier posts in this thread suggested otherwise. So....?

Just use a zip tie. Make a loop at the end, stick the other end down the barrel

Make sure it's big loop. Should you get a regular MTM chamber flag, it doesn't work for .22 caliber guns. It needs modifications for an AR. Find me Sunday and I'll show you. Look for a shirt with a Firebird on the back.

Drive down Sat and help build the stages, then you will know before the match, until then its anyones guess.

That's actually a good idea and I wish I could, but I'm already committed to stuff all-day on Saturday which is the only reason I'm concerned, as I won't be able to go hunt down some PMC .223 to use for the match (which would make the concern pretty much a moot point). I have a few mags of good .223, but not enough for a full match.

I'll probably just use an M-1 carbine anyway. I suppose I could shoot M-1A, but the Indian ammo I have probably shoots minute of berm.

The Beast is a lot better with the Pigtail gas tube. I think with an adjustable block, it might actually be fun to shoot. I swapped out the Miculek comp to a Cooley, that made the dot a little easier to track. I want to get a SJC titan comp and try all 4 of my comps back to back

I tried a Miculek comp and was disappointed. The Cooley comp that I replaced it with was much more effective.

Really fun match. I was soooo close to winning the whole thing before I had a meltdown on the last stage [smile].

Great to shoot with everyone. Headcam video to follow tonight.

EDIT: Video! Actually looks pretty good in high resolution. Not so good in 360p or whatever the default is. Would look way better if the shooter hurried the heck up!

Last edited by a moderator:
How did the little one run?

It ran well. The shooter was the problem. [wink] Only had one jam up on stage one- failure to feed. 40 rounders ran great otherwise. Actually hit the two steel and two of the four pigeons on stage 5 with no sweat. The last two were another story. [laugh]

I was happy with my placement using that gun. It is not the easiest to use but I bet it is one of the most fun!

Last edited:
Something's not right with the scores. I definitely wasn't 3rd overall. USPSA.org has stage results; the individual results aren't on the NE site.

Aha, I found it. Typo on my time for stage 5. I definitely didn't shoot 44 rounds across two bays in 7 sec. Maybe 107?

Back
Top Bottom