• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harvard, MA Appleseed April 17-18 2010

I used to think we weren't allowed to shoot until 10 on Sundays, but sadly, 9AM is a perfectly OK time to shoot at HSC. Mansfield is the place that has the noon rule, not Harvard.

That means we'll give the safety briefing at the usual 8:30 time. The instructors should be there before 8am for sign ups.

Since it'll be 50 degrees today and the forecast is calling for "few showers" (which is less than yesterday!) maybe we'll get some of the people who didn't show yesterday.

Come on down, folks - no one ever said saving the country was going to be easy or comfortable. Nothing worthwhile ever is.

These are the times that try men's souls.

The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country;
but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman.
Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered;
yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph.
What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods;
and it would be strange indeed, if so celestial an article as Freedom should not be highly rated.

Last edited:
Sadly I won't be making it....woke up this morning feeling absolutely not right, and if my drive towards the range, then back home this morning was any indication, there was no way I could ethically or responsibly put myself on a firing line.

I couldn‘t make it today. I got called into work. I learnd alot yesterday. I will be going to the next one. I‘m going to ask my brother to come when he gets back from Iraq.

Excellent day today. I was shooting next to a guy from my town that I haven't seen in about 20 years! Also shot my personal best, 236!

It got nice and sunny towards the end, but for me it was a gorgeous day all around.
I'm going to out to have dinner with some friends, and show off my new patch and orange hat. [smile]

It was a pleasure meeting some more NES members at the appleseed shoot.

I'm looking for Brian's screen name? he was there with his family as well as a friends daughter. He told me, but i forgot by the time i got home....sorry.

I had a great time everyone!! Earning my rifleman patch and jumping right into the position of IIT is an honor. I want to talk more about it and pictures are definitely on their way...but for now I must keep it short because there is a bus I need to catch that will be driving me to DC to support the Second Amendment March. [mg]

Excellent day today. I was shooting next to a guy from my town that I haven't seen in about 20 years! Also shot my personal best, 236!

19 years, one town over ( same school district ) and yes, you were freakin awesome. It was so good to see you again. My daughter was holding her hand over her eyes on the drive home trying to quell her migraine but she kept talking about what a great shooter you are.
I had a great weekend, I learned so much, and I noticed my improvement over the course of the weekend. I'm sore in places I forgot I had, but I'll be @ the next Harvard Appleseed shoot for the Sunday and possibly the Saturday too.
It was great to meet Fred, he's an inspiration.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • N.R.A.
  • G.O.A.L.
  • M.R.A.
  • MA LTC-A
  • NH Non Res LTC
  • ME Non Res LTC
"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and Virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign Invaders." - Samuel Adams (letter to James Warren, November 4, 1775)

Well, my feet are killing me, and there's a few other places that are letting me know I overextended (as usual), I can barely keep my eyes open... and withal, I'm still flying high.

Edmorseiii, luv2bfree and I had the beginner's line - 13 shooters yesterday, 7 who came back today. EVERYONE'S groups tightened up considerably, and two shooters who'd been knocking at the door to Rifleman were dragged through. Lupis42 and NESer JBH, got their Rifleman's patch. Ed and Luv2bfree did a GREAT job on the line and giving instruction, too.

Lupis42, because he got a score of EXACTLY 210 was, in accordance with a Ramseur (home range) tradition modified by us New Englanders, got dowsed with some North Bridge water. (At Ramseur, if you shoot exactly the Rifleman score, you get dumped in the creek. Since we're close enough that it's easy to procure some water that has flowed under the Old North Bridge, the site where, 235 years ago, Americans first fired back at the Redcoats in earnest, we use this instead. )

Even better, Lupis has already taken an Orange Hat and become in Instructor In Training. He's not only a trained Rifleman, he'll be training other Riflemen.
applaud.gif

Great weekend. We woke up some 50-odd sleeping Americans, started them on the road to Rifleman (or got them all the way there!), told the utterly inspiring story of our nation's birth, and got some more Instructor In Trainings to keep the program going.

So... for all of you who signed up and didn't go...

We've got a shoot coming up in May (western MA) and another in Harvard in July. Can we reserve a spot for you on the line?

Since it'll be 50 degrees today and the forecast is calling for "few showers" (which is less than yesterday!) maybe we'll get some of the people who didn't show yesterday.

Come on down, folks - no one ever said saving the country was going to be easy or comfortable. Nothing worthwhile ever is.

Sadly not. We ended up having fewer. Which was actually good for me because I was able to get more individual help from the instructors and IITs. I improved tremendously, in part because I switched to a scope and in part because I started to "get" what the instructors were telling me. I didn't qualify this time, but will in July.

A very worthwhile experience.

I can't wait to do it again. It was wet and cold and right now I've got pains in muscles I didn't know existed, but it was wonderful. Thanks to everyone who volunteered their time and tremendous effort into teaching me.

This weekend was my first Appleseed. Meeting Fred, achieving Rifleman, humbled by my new orange hat and making so many new friends makes this a weekend I'll never forget.

The first of many to come, I'm sure!

Thanks to Fred, Chris, Todd, Cindy, Izzy and everyone present - true Americans, all!

This first timer is impressed. I'm very glad I made the trip up to Harvard from CT. Now to convince my wife, brothers and neighbors that they really do want to learn to shoot british officers at 500 yards...

Oh, I almost forgot. I think my rifleman patch is defective. Someone stuck a 13th star on there. [laugh]

All,

Thank you to the organizers, instructors, IITs and fellow shooters for making this a great weekend. I pretty much learned I've been doing most of my rifle shooting wrong for my entire life (which explains prior results) and I learned a lot of history that should have been clearer in my mind. If anyone hasn't attended one of these events put it on your calendar!

I'm still a cook (and a damn fine one I might add!!! :) ) but thanks to JonJ, Stratocaster1422, and all the other people that worked with me this weekend I know what I need to do.

I did get to practice a lot of 10/22 malfunction drills however. My personal highlight was using a pocket knife to clear a double fed, facing the wrong way, unejected mess then continuing the AQT :)

-Paul "Blinky"

I opened up my 795 this morning for a good cleaning. I think I took half the range home in the internals. No wonder it wasn't working well at the end. [frown]

Well, took a while to hose all the sand out of the actions last night but got a great nights sleep after the rifles were put up.

Thanks to dwarven1, Edmorseiii, luv2bfree for running the line I was on and instructing me. I will keep practicing between now and the next one.

Everyone there was friendly and helpful, it was a great couple days.

I am glad I shot this one with iron sights, but think I might use my scoped 10/22 next time.

crak, if you want to meet more people in Somerville who think this way, let me know. Many end up moving out if they can, but a few of us stay there.

I'll be @ Harvard, reserve a spot for me.
Here's the link for registration. I'll start a new thread if Crak hasn't beaten me to it. http://www.eventbrite.com/event/640668256

I pretty much learned I've been doing most of my rifle shooting wrong for my entire life (which explains prior results) and I learned a lot of history that should have been clearer in my mind.
Boy, does this reaction sound familiar... I remember thinking the exact same things after MY first shoot. [laugh] Just shows that America NEEDS Project Appleseed!

What he said. BEST $12 you can spend on your 10/22 after Tech-Sights.

Well, took a while to hose all the sand out of the actions last night but got a great nights sleep after the rifles were put up.

Thanks to dwarven1, Edmorseiii, luv2bfree for running the line I was on and instructing me. I will keep practicing between now and the next one.

Everyone there was friendly and helpful, it was a great couple days.

I am glad I shot this one with iron sights, but think I might use my scoped 10/22 next time.
Just a reminder, folks - clean those rifles good, and clean your magazines as well, since they've been hitting the dirt and mud all weekend. (And if you're cleaning a 10/22 magazine, remember - turn the screw 14-15 flats, NOT the 6 or 8 you'll see in some online videos!!)

As for iron sights VS scopes - My advice is still "If you can shoot with the iron sights, do so. If you need the scopes to see, then move to a scope, but make it a GOOD scope. (I use a scope myself as I just can't see the 400 yard targets)."

Nickle advised me to get an old iron-tube Weaver, and that's what is mounted on my 10/22 and my AR-15 - a Weaver K-7 and (I think) a T-8. Both have seen rain and come through unscathed. Unlike my nephew's $5 scope that he bought just before the Tropical Storm Danny shoot... and which he threw out during the Tropical Storm Danny shoot. Like everything, cheap stuff costs you more in the long run when you have to replace it. (I wish I'd been smart enough to take my father's advice on this instead of having to learn the hard way that he knew what he was talking about. *sigh*)

Well, my feet are killing me, and there's a few other places that are letting me know I overextended (as usual), I can barely keep my eyes open... and withal, I'm still flying high.

Edmorseiii, luv2bfree and I had the beginner's line - 13 shooters yesterday, 7 who came back today. EVERYONE'S groups tightened up considerably, and two shooters who'd been knocking at the door to Rifleman were dragged through. Lupis42 and NESer JBH, got their Rifleman's patch. Ed and Luv2bfree did a GREAT job on the line and giving instruction, too.

Lupis42, because he got a score of EXACTLY 210 was, in accordance with a Ramseur (home range) tradition modified by us New Englanders, got dowsed with some North Bridge water. (At Ramseur, if you shoot exactly the Rifleman score, you get dumped in the creek. Since we're close enough that it's easy to procure some water that has flowed under the Old North Bridge, the site where, 235 years ago, Americans first fired back at the Redcoats in earnest, we use this instead. )

Even better, Lupis has already taken an Orange Hat and become in Instructor In Training. He's not only a trained Rifleman, he'll be training other Riflemen.
applaud.gif

Great weekend. We woke up some 50-odd sleeping Americans, started them on the road to Rifleman (or got them all the way there!), told the utterly inspiring story of our nation's birth, and got some more Instructor In Trainings to keep the program going.

So... for all of you who signed up and didn't go...

We've got a shoot coming up in May (western MA) and another in Harvard in July. Can we reserve a spot for you on the line?

Is the history lesson given at all the appleseeds or just the Patriots Day ones? Looking to go in July.

Thanks.

Minuteman Dies While Marching To Concord 4/19/10

From the Channel 5 Web Site.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/23195403/detail.html

God Bless this man for going out on Patriots Day to help educate American's as to where thier Liberty all began.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
•N.R.A.
•G.O.A.L.
•M.R.A.
•MA LTC-A
•NH Non Res LTC
•ME Non Res LTC

Is the history lesson given at all the appleseeds or just the Patriots Day ones? Looking to go in July.

Thanks.

LG - Heritage is only half of the Appleseed shoots - we send some lead down range in between. Check this site for more info about it
http://appleseedinfo.org

Snoop around the various forums - tons of info there from what to bring to what to read for more Heritage

ALL Appleseed Shoots. Some suggested reading, if you want to do some study on your own, is Paul Revere's Ride by David Fischer and Minuteman National Park's website, www.nps.gov.

I was asked to take this photo of Rifleman Mike at the Harvard shoot to demonstrate the perfect prone position.

prone_position_lo.jpg

Well... all except for his left foot sticking up. BOTH feet should be flat. With the foot sticking up like that, it'll wobble... and throw his NPOA off. He should either extend his ankle farther so that the laces are ALL laying on the ground, or turn it 90 degrees either way. He shouldn't be digging his toes into the ground.

halfmast.gif

Back
Top Bottom