Hartford CT: Armed man killed by PD

Check out what he was armed with. SCAR SBR and a Glock with a switch.

HARTFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Connecticut State Police are investigating after an armed man was killed following an officer-involved shooting in Hartford.

Just before 9 p.m. on Saturday, police were called to the area of 25 Gilman St. after a 911 call claimed that an alleged armed man was acting erratically.

Upon arrival, officers found the man, who they said was armed with a rifle and handgun.

Responding officers said the man did not comply with their requests to drop his weapons.

“Officers spent the next several minutes trying to get the individual to put the guns down,” Police Chief Jason Thody said. “At that point, the individual was kind of walking around in the street and through the neighborhoods and in the backyards.”

From there, officers followed the man into a back parking lot in the area of 14-16 Gilman St.

“Two different officers were heard on the body-worn cameras indicating that he was pointing the firearm, that he had started to point the assault rife, at the officers, and at that point, one shot was discharged,” Thody said.

The unidentified man was taken to Hartford Hospital where he died of his injuries on Sunday.

The officer that fired the shot has been identified as Ashley Martinez, a four-year veteran of the force.

Following the shooting, police were able to determine that the man was armed with an assault rifle with a scope, and a handgun with a flashlight mounted to it.

Mayor Luke Bronin addressed the city after the incident, saying, “Any loss of life in our community is a tragedy for our community, and our hearts are with the family of the individual who died.”

“Our thoughts are also with officer Martinez,” he added. “No one ever wants to be in the difficult position she was in last night.”

Thody said officers are cooperating with state police.

“We are cooperating fully with the state as the investigation into this shooting begins, and we will
work with the state to release as much information to the public as we can.

Bronin emphasized that the footage from the body camera Officer Martinez, and several other officers, was wearing would be processed and released.

“I have seen some of the body camera footage, and it’s clear this is a very dangerous and volatile situation,” Bronin said.

Hartford police and Connecticut State Police are working together to make sure the footage is released as soon as possible.

The department said it has begun the investigation in accordance with the State Police’s Eastern District Major Crimes Squad.

No sights on the glock and it looks really beat up. What's up with the zip ties on the SCAR? Is it real? Something about the fore end and barrel looks weird.

I don't think those guns are real.

G19's have a grooved trigger. That trigger is smooth.

I've seen lots of Glock that have been banged up and they don't look like that when scratched.

I don't think a G19 with a factory switch would have a Gen 3 frame. They are also very rare.

No smiley on the barrel.

I would not bet my life on this but it's just my observations.

The rifle does indeed look 'odd'.

The Glock looks real enough for me to not take chances. It might be pieced together from multiple (stolen?) firearms, there is some interchangeability, I may be a Glock 'armorer', but I don't know enough to play those games. The 'aftermarket' switches I've seen personally are all on the back of the slide. I know that doesn't help any, just an observation.

I don't think those guns are real.

G19's have a grooved trigger. That trigger is smooth.

I've seen lots of Glock that have been banged up and they don't look like that when scratched.

I don't think a G19 with a factory switch would have a Gen 3 frame. They are also very rare.

No smiley on the barrel.

I would not bet my life on this but it's just my observations.

I think its the nickel bolt on the scar, it just doesn't look right.
Glock looks real enough in my book, odd about the rear sight, but some people black out the rears, so if you're doing that whats the difference?

1. Zip ties are to make "weapon" safe. Probably not put there by the perp.

2. Which reporter do you guys think is hot??? The scary looking fake blond at the news desk or the average-looking one on the scene??? The glasses bump her up a bit, but it's just glasses, guys. LOL

3. Will be curious if these are considered real. They look real to me. I could be wrong. Pix are awful small. No REAR sight on Glock. Definitely a front sight on there.

That Scar looks exactly the same as pictures for airsoft ones minus the pic rails, front sight and most likely the obvious orange flash hider.

That's got a weird second trigger or safety on the grip. The glock seems real just beat to hell.

Sad part is, reporting wise, police would have immediately known these were not real firearms upon close inspection. Not saying it was a bad shoot - far from it.

Justified shoot, but piss poor report by the PD and piss poor journalism.

100% airsoft guns. The Glock does look the part, and some people are adding happy switches, but no way someone is walking around in the U.S. with an 18C marked Glock.

Sad part is, reporting wise, police would have immediately known these were not real firearms upon close inspection. Not saying it was a bad shoot - far from it.

TIME OUT! TIME OUT! We need to come inspect your weapons to ensure they are real and could harm someone. We will give them right back no matter what. Thank you. Can we get you a Diet Coke while you wait?

You could even call a telephone poll Gools/gaols/ghouls/whatever to make him feel safe.

Shoot mentally ill guy with airsoft gun
Pick up “gun” see it was a toy
Relay to media he had a “assault weapon”
Hero
General population thinks oh my. Assault weapons in my community
Take gun to crime lab. Oops “toy”
“Gun looked so real even trained professionals thought it was real, we need to ban these toys”
Correct story
1/4 of people read the corrected story.

other way reads worse. “Man with toy gun killed by PD”

Either way he/they had to do what they had to do
toy gun or actual gun same result.

TIME OUT! TIME OUT! We need to come inspect your weapons to ensure they are real and could harm someone. We will give them right back no matter what. Thank you. Can we get you a Diet Coke while you wait?

You could even call a telephone poll Gools/gaols/ghouls/whatever to make him feel safe.
?
My issue was the reporting after the fact. At the time of the shooting, the officer reasonably believed the dude had firearms and posed a deadly threat. Only after the fact it should have been apparent that they were not firearms. Once the police had knowledge that they were not firearms they should not have had the spin machine working overtime to sell it as though they were. cdseven95 and PappyM3 got it right in the above post.

Last edited:
I'm just looking for a solution where the morons and mentally ill aren't killed. LOL.

So you're saying my Time Out suggestion wouldn't work???? I think the Left would say it is highly effective. ;)

The officer that fired the shot has been identified as Ashley Martinez, a four-year veteran of the force.
To wit.

Which reporter do you guys think is hot??? The scary looking fake blond at the news desk or the average-looking one on the scene??? The glasses bump her up a bit, but it's just glasses, guys. LOL
Yet further proof at how Lisa Loeb effected a tectonic shift in mens' value systems.
(Warning: Do not click within 24 hours of reading Far Side cartoons,
or stuff will come out your nose
).

I'm just looking for a solution where the morons and mentally ill aren't killed. LOL.
Solution: State Nervous Hospital.

Justified shoot, but piss poor report by the PD and piss poor journalism.

100% airsoft guns. The Glock does look the part, and some people are adding happy switches, but no way someone is walking around in the U.S. with an 18C marked Glock.
The latest happy switches are placed on the back where the slide cover plate is. According to Glock Armorers class the first versions were called a "Buzz Plate" and they were from Valenzuela. Glock had a SA headquarters there, too. Other places copied the design and improved on it.

I would like to get one if I could legally wear it as a piece of jewelry as a pendant. Constructive intent is a problem though.

No ghetto gunsmith is going to put on switch on the side like the original G18. Too much work when you can get a Buzz Plate.

Regarding the finish and scratches on the "Glock" - they don't look like that even after falling out of a chopper or getting hammered. The Glock finish is not metallic underneath when it scratches.

Send in a Social Worker and Behavioral Psychologist. If they get plinked with airsoft or paintballs, it’s their case. If they get real holes and bleed, its a job for armed law enforcement.

Biden can form a new Peace Corpse section of folks who volunteer to take shots until the bullets run out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom