• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harris or Atlas

DarthRevan

NES Member
I'm looking at either brand for my rifle.
Already have one Harris, but looking to add one with pan/swivel capability.
The Harris with pan adapter comes in cheaper, but Atlas allows you to add different feet for different terrain.
Thoughts?

It depends... A bipod is a crook. You use it as last resort, when you have no other flat surfaced available to rest your forend on. It’s simple physics. The more real estate of your stock makes contact with a stable surface, the less your rifle/reticle will move. That said, you can “preload” an Atlas, which is its biggest advantage over the Harris. Is it worth the $150 difference? Not to me it’s not.

Any bipod needs to be preloaded and atlas that is built like a tank handles it well. You can buy spikes for it later, feet are swappable.
Some folks keep telling me ditch my atlas and get a set of good quality leather rifle bags. As of worth the $$$ - perhaps. Decide for yourself.
At the moment I had the funds, now I would get a $280 version, most likely.

Atlas 5-H Series Bipods - No Clam Bipod and Bipod Lever Mount with ARMS 17S Mount Amazon product ASIN B06XD2FDB9View: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XD2FDB9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_FSGS9ZJ5R6SSTWNQMAC0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It doesnt have to be one or the other, i regularly shoot off a bipod and a tripod, and i always have a rear bag or two.

Stick to just swivel then?
smooth legs or inched for your pleasure?
Buy the notched version, throw a pod loc on it and be done with it. You don't need spiked feet either. You definitely don't need a panning feature. Take the money you saved and buy a decent rear bag.

Don't confuse "loading" a bipod with pushing into your bipod until you feel the legs start bending either.

‘Don’t need panning’ is a bit categorical.
YouTube has tons of videos comparing atlas models and showing features, it is worth to watch to form your own opinion.

I'm looking at either brand for my rifle.
Already have one Harris, but looking to add one with pan/swivel capability.
The Harris with pan adapter comes in cheaper, but Atlas allows you to add different feet for different terrain.
Thoughts?
I’d also look at Versa-pod. Lots of models to choose from and moderately priced.

Dave

forgot to mention - some lower cost atlas models have outer legs that can rotate against inner tubes - so if you try to preload it the rifle will roll forward, which is no good, obviously.
you need to pay attention to that:
  • STABILIZATION – The Atlas bipods feature outer leg that does not rotate around inner leg and larger, stronger inner legs to ensure stability

Reviving this:

Went to the range yesterday after getting a new PRS lite stock and tried to utilize the technique of loading the bipod by leaning into the gun to keep it stable. The problem I’ve found is that the feet tend to slip out on any surface that isn’t some kind of earth. Either by spinning/rolling forward or just not having enough weight on them to comp for me leaning into it.

I’m using a Harris bipod with the inch segments.

I then tried to utilize my rear bag but felt like that wasn’t good enough to keep the gun from shifting after each shot, leads me to think I’m leaning down too hard into the bag?

Or am I just over thinking shit and should be glad with the groups I eventually made?
(Circled shots are from the last five shot groups of the day at 100)

Attachments

• 9F070823-6AB3-4A88-B620-7404EB30839D.jpeg
    9F070823-6AB3-4A88-B620-7404EB30839D.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 2
The problem I’ve found is that the feet tend to slip out on any surface that isn’t some kind of earth. Either by spinning/rolling forward or just not having enough weight on them to comp for me leaning into it.

I don't know about Harris bipods, but Atlas bipods accept different feet for different terrain. I have the rubber ball feet on currently but I also have spike feet for rocks and ice.

Reviving this:

Went to the range yesterday after getting a new PRS lite stock and tried to utilize the technique of loading the bipod by leaning into the gun to keep it stable. The problem I’ve found is that the feet tend to slip out on any surface that isn’t some kind of earth. Either by spinning/rolling forward or just not having enough weight on them to comp for me leaning into it.

I then tried to utilize my rear bag but felt like that wasn’t good enough to keep the gun from shifting after each shot, leads me to think I’m leaning down too hard into the bag?

Or am I just over thinking shit and should be glad with the groups I eventually made?
Why a bipod and not just bags?

Which come in handy when hunting Tauntauns on planet Hoth!

Kidding aside, functionally, I love my Atlas, plus I hate how Harris bipods look.

The places where I shoot are often massive sheets of ice between December and March/April. Believe it or not, but not everywhere in the world is a perfectly manicured rifle range.

Reviving this:

Bags for the range , bipods for the woods

Bipods are almost useless on a bench compared to a bag

I have both Harris and atlas bipods , they collect dust unless I’m lugging the rifle through the woods during hunting season

Why a bipod and not just bags?
Because I’m trying to zero the rifle and practice with it in the condition I would likely use it in.
I’m not going to shoot PRS with this, so I’m not going to be ever using anything other than a small rear bag. And I’m never going to be “high speed” anything with it so I don’t mind the extra oz having a bipod.

Back
Top Bottom