• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harold Parker State Park Andover, Mass and other New England camping locations... Canada too!

enbloc

Life Member Emeritus
NES Life Member
NES Member
I have a friend coming up from Florida and she is camping at Harold Parker this year in her Roadtrek 190 with her dog. I've been there before with her in this camper. I always pop a tent and string a
tarp over the table/eating area between trees. While the camps are small and the area is fairly urban, I've enjoyed it quite a bit. She's been making her Summer trips up for about 5 years now...

I always look forward to it.

1648398208560.png

What are your favorite campsites, State Parks, Provincial Parks or plain old holes-in-the-walls?

Motorcycle-Camping friendly... Mountain Bike trails too.

1648399017047.png 1648399198246.png
not my photos...

I can see why you look forward to it.
Lol. While we have a past... Now great friends. We both took motorcycles camping on the Cabot Trail in the late 1990's. Canada's Provincial Parks were outstanding and the views coming down the North side were... memorable.

1648399581307.png
1648399605243.png
1648399939955.png

Battery PP, was one of my favorites...

1648399857609.png
1648400026808.png

Last edited:
Nickerson State Park in Brewster, MA has always been one of my favorite campgrounds.

It’s very basic, no electricity, no water, no sewer at any sites. Several ponds with excellent fishing. Big Cliff you can use a larger motor and go water skiing or tubing.
I grew up on the cape and camping here since I was a baby.

Used to be something like $6/ night.

Been camping my entire life and to this day, Nickerson is still my favorite.

Best family campground we've been to is Papoose Pond in N Waterford ME. Large campsites with decent separation from the adjacent ones, activities for adults and kids, heated pool, nice large pond with watercraft rentals, onsite store and little food cafe. Best feature is a bunch of sites have onsite bathrooms.. Nothing fancy, but having your own toilet and shower on your campsite is really nice to have.

NES has a few campsite owners that are members here. One posted a nice link to a network similar, but not, KOA. I can't find it. Like a listing for smaller, quaint campgrounds.

Hopefully he finds this thread. BUMP.

NES has a few campsite owners that are members here. One posted a nice link to a network similar, but not, KOA. I can't find it. Like a listing for smaller, quaint campgrounds.

Hopefully he finds this thread. BUMP.
I know @mclina bought/operates a campground many years back now. Not sure of status...

my favorite campground is Twin Tamarack in New Hampton, sites are large and for the most part well separated. bathrooms are clean and it's only 90 minutes away

Been to Papoose Pond several times over the years and spent a week there this past October.
The place was basically deserted except for us and my parents. We have great memories back when the baseball field was in good shape and they had big games in the summer.

I know @mclina bought/operates a campground many years back now. Not sure of status...
I certainly did, getting ready to open for my 5th season. Best move I ever made.

I’m out in Upstate NY, near Cooperstown. Meadow-Vale Campsites. I don’t want to violate any forum rules, but it’s easy enough to google.

Looking forward to a nice, dry, camping season

My wife and I are the Hosts at Passaconway campground up in the White Mountains this year. We will be living there from May till Oct.

Awesome! We stayed at Covered Bridge last Labor Day weekend. Was a great place. Shocked we didn’t draw the ire of the hosts. We were camped directly across from them and up were real late each night with some friends from South Africa.

Having patrolled and worked on detail in several of the Commonwealth's State Parks. I will not stay in a "state park campground" regardless of the state. I will pay the extra money and stay in private campgrounds.

Having patrolled and worked on detail in several of the Commonwealth's State Parks. I will not stay in a "state park campground" regardless of the state. I will pay the extra money and stay in private campgrounds.

Paying for camping is a last resort for me. Free, primitive camping is what I do 9/10 times.

Care to elaborate? Trying to convince the wife/family to try out camping.

Camping is great, I think that you will find that private campgrounds are used by folks that are looking to relax. The state campgrounds tend to have the folks from the cities who think that it is party time. Harold Parker is located in the vicinity of several cities and that is the crowd you get there. Willard Brook in Ashby is outside of Fitchburg. Then Otter River in Winchendon is near Gardner.
Having patrolled those areas as an Environmental Police Officer there was always some kind of problem. Domestics, loud noise complaints. There is not supposed to be any alcoholic beverages in the Mass. State parks but many show up with it and think that it is party time.

Camping is great, I think that you will find that private campgrounds are used by folks that are looking to relax. The state campgrounds tend to have the folks from the cities who think that it is party time. Harold Parker is located in the vicinity of several cities and that is the crowd you get there. Willard Brook in Ashby is outside of Fitchburg. Then Otter River in Winchendon is near Gardner.
Having patrolled those areas as an Environmental Police Officer there was always some kind of problem. Domestics, loud noise complaints. There is not supposed to be any alcoholic beverages in the Mass. State parks but many show up with it and think that it is party time.
Ive seen this too the times I've been camping when my kids were younger and we had a small tent trailer.

Private campgrounds the owners are much more proactive. I've seen a few drunk a**h***s creating issues, get tossed in the middle of the night by owners. No police even involved.

That said, camping in the Northeast unless your really north in ME or NH pretty much sucks. The sites are generally too small and for a guy that lives with no neighbors daily, I feel more crowded than at home. The cost, (truck, gas, site cost) the small sites, people who don't watch their kids because they are lazy, and want to sit and drink, is why we quit camping.
That and kids really were into sports.....we never got to use it, which is really huge to me.

Now instead of hauling some big rig with a big trailer we would have a large depreciating 150K into, plus maintenance gas and winterizing and all the bs.....

We just do a week all inclusive beach vacation in one of the islands. 3-4Kyr and walk away, all meals, drinks included.

When we retire, maybe we will look into it again......but with gas at 5 a gallon, its hard to say its worth it. A 200 mile drive at 7mpg easily pays for a hotel room stay.

Last edited:
Cathedral Pines Campground in Eustis, Me-about has quickly become our favorite campground-ideal for kids, paved roads, beach on Flagstaff Lake and it is one of the finest run (by the Towns of Stratton and Eustis) campgrounds we have ever been to.

Aziscoos Valley Camping Area in Wilson Mills, Me about 20 miles between Errol, NH and Rangeley, Me. is great if you can deal with no hookups but water/dump station is available, sites are large and at night-if clear- you just sit back and look up at the stars -amazing. The Magalloway River runs next to the campground, no access for swimming at the campground but a few places not far away including Richardson Lake Public Lands which includes a boat ramp/small sandy beach-very reasonable rates and fantastic owners.

Coleman State Park just outside of Colebrook, NH-pretty much fishing-Little and Big Diamond ponds / atv riding as it is on or very very close to a trail connector and listening to the loons at night- no hookups but water and a dump station and newer bath house/laundry on site. Certainly it has changed-'Tink' is no longer there still we manage to get there a few times a year.

Deer Mountain State Park, Pittsburg, NH-primitive and quiet, right on Moose Alley-Rt 3- and very near Lake Francis State Park which is everything Deer Mountain is not.

No hookups, no water but water and a dump station are available at Lake Francis State Park, a spring just past Deer Mountain is usually running.

Back
Top Bottom