• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hard Cast- Local Lead Source or Just Order from Roto Etc.?

If someone wants to do a feeler, I will help calling places and getting prices. But I am balls to the wall with work right now, so I dont know if I can dedicate enough time to a group buy if it goes through.

I will be in for 200-250# maybe more.

If someone wants to do a feeler, I will help calling places and getting prices. But I am balls to the wall with work right now, so I dont know if I can dedicate enough time to a group buy if it goes through.

not sure if its the same from all vendors but rotometals prices go up if you dont have a loading dock or forklift. So that might be important.
Again for me its all about how far I have to go to save $150 last group but i had a 3hr round trip by distance with traffic it turned into 5 plus breakfast/lunch and several coffees $20 or so in gas....not fun.

If I see a feeler and it works in my favor i could sell some scrap and buy some nice virgin lead. #250 will last me a long while for what i use it for.

I always need more lead. I get a few hundred pounds and it just doesn’t seem to last.
I would like to be sitting on 500# more than I have. It would make it so I don’t have to scrounge for a while.
You cast some heavies so I'm sure consumption Is high
@200 grains you get 35 per lb
Most of my stuff is 130-170 grains with some 185s and 200s making up about 15% of my cast.

You cast some heavies so I'm sure consumption Is high
@200 grains you get 35 per lb
Most of my stuff is 130-170 grains with some 185s and 200s making up about 15% of my cast.
Yeah I shoot more 38 than anything but even those are 170s.
Lots more 250 grain and 405 grains lately

Now that I settled down to load some 45, I'm finding the Lee 452-228 just isn't up to the task. In my Kimber, it's silly levels of fun to shoot but it needs to be seated very deep to gauge.

The problem is that some (35-40%) of my brass doesn't allow seating to that depth - the case gets thick right at the base of the bullet causing a bulge. And I don't really know it until I seat a bullet which really sucks.

I can get my barrel throat cut or just invest in a different mold.

Looking at two mold options:
NOE - aluminum; out of stock
453-220-RF-AB5 4 Cavity RG4 PB | NOE Bullet Moulds

Mihec - Brass, cheaper and in stock

If I get the throat cut then I could still end up with issues if I buy another 45 in the future along with the fact I don't know what it will do to the accuracy.

And posted in the wrong thread.....

Last edited:
Now that I settled down to load some 45, I'm finding the Lee 452-228 just isn't up to the task. In my Kimber, it's silly levels of fun to shoot but it needs to be seated very deep to gauge.

The problem is that some (35-40%) of my brass doesn't allow seating to that depth - the case gets thick right at the base of the bullet causing a bulge. And I don't really know it until I seat a bullet which really sucks.

If I get the throat cut then I could still end up with issues if I buy another 45 in the future along with the fact I don't know what it will do to the accuracy.
I have the MP 454-200HP and I have given some to just about everyone I know that reloads 45. All the reports on CB forums are the same. Flawless results in anything I’ve seen them run in.
200 grains is a little lighter and less lead. You can run them flat point also if you want some more weight.
If you want some let me know and we can meet up. I’ll give you some bullets or you can borrow the mould.

I love the value of Lee moulds but when you run one of the MP you’ll never look back.

He might have changed the model number but my mould might be the same one.

80C87F14-FF6E-426F-8077-9ABE08F71748.jpeg

I dont know how a different mold will work out? Im actually a little surprised.
Can you use different brass?
When you say gauge are you using your barrel as the gauge?
When you seat them deeper are you readjusting your crimp?
Or I should ask are you seating and crimping with the same/one die

My question comes from the fact that you said you needed to seat the bullet deeper to gauge?

Might be more useful to do a chamber casting and see whats going on in there?

Last edited:
Seating and crimping on separate dies
Also tried single die
Used both the barrel and a Hornady gauge
Bullet set just off the lands at 1.190 puts the base of the bullet right on the web.

Haven't chamber cast it but have cerocast in hand so it won't be hard

Part of the issue is that the gun is set up very tight so cutting the throat would help but I'd rather fit the bullet to the gun instead of the other way around.

Yeah I shoot more 38 than anything but even those are 170s.
Lots more 250 grain and 405 grains lately
I casted some 457-405 for a friends father he gave me "a lot of lead" to use. Juat under 2.5lbs when I handed him 40 odd bullets he asked wheres ths the rest.....i laughed and said thats what you get with 2.5lbs.

I casted some 457-405 for a friends father he gave me "a lot of lead" to use. Juat under 2.5lbs when I handed him 40 odd bullets he asked wheres ths the rest.....i laughed and said thats what you get with 2.5lbs.
Love it. I cast some 405 tonight along with A couple good piles of Lee 375 259 grain and some RCBS 44-255Ks

Seating and crimping on separate dies
Also tried single die
Used both the barrel and a Hornady gauge
Bullet set just off the lands at 1.190 puts the base of the bullet right on the web.

Haven't chamber cast it but have cerocast in hand so it won't be hard

Part of the issue is that the gun is set up very tight so cutting the throat would help but I'd rather fit the bullet to the gun instead of the other way around.
Have not tried that bullet but I have lee 230 grain round nose and TC tumble lube design and a wad cutter. All drop a bit small.
I dont have to seat them to deep for my 2 SW 1911s ... I get case bulging but it seems to not impede function.

The Tl452-230-2R is a dual radius design so it tapers more and has a smaller diameter at the ogive tangent point (actually has a shelf)

I knew that when I bought the 228-1R and should have grabbed the 2R design.

My new Lyman 452374 mold is getting delivered today. Time to cook up a new batch for coating. Figure I would wait a few days in the event my lee mold had issues. For the price I have no issues retiring it.
Would make a good bullet for 50 cal sabot for 50cal black powder shooters.. Thats what my lee 452-230 RN does now.

I came across some very malleable lead foil. i have read that adding wheel weights is necessary as is some tin to help with form conistency. Any advice for ratios of foil:WW and tin?

Depending on what you want for a hardness, theres a recipe list here-

Adding straight lead to wheel weights will drop the b.h.n., it just depends on how much you add.

Theres also a hardness table for alloy's in the Lyman book.

Rotometals might list something as well

I came across some very malleable lead foil. i have read that adding wheel weights is necessary as is some tin to help with form conistency. Any advice for ratios of foil:WW and tin?
I dont need anything in alloy particularly soft or hard so I have mixed my softer alloys with known wheel weights 50/50 if my bullets dont fill out well I might add tin.
This past year was the first time I went out of my way to blend a alloy close to lyman #2. Running 2%-ish tin 3%-ish Antimony and the rest lead.
I did not need to pay for the tin. I used 70% tin solder to get the tin up.

Depending on what you want for a hardness, theres a recipe list here-

Adding straight lead to wheel weights will drop the b.h.n., it just depends on how much you add.

Theres also a hardness table for alloy's in the Lyman book.

Rotometals might list something as well

thanks, i plan to start mass producing 9 MM, .45 and .38, I will check out the references, thanks again

I have a way to save $200 on $500 of that group buy and if someone can figure out the CC deal so the group buy can be paid with buyers CC
My CC gives $200 cash back on $500 spent in 90 days for new accounts I get $100 for the referral.
PM for a link to the referral if i can get a few referrals.....theres my in!

I got just under a pound of 40lb lead flashing. 14.5 oz according to my scale. Leftover from flashing my porch.

I’ll have to donate it to someone lol. Not a huge amount of course.
D32D1682-B24A-43B7-83B0-22D0B97909D9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom