Harbor Freight plastic ammo can $2.99

Unless I am mistaken, there is no MA law requiring ammo to be locked up.
Unless things changed in the last few firearms related bills you maybe right
There is no law but there is a regulation?
I admit Im to lazy to look at MGL.

So .30 cal cans are tiny, but have I ever tried to move a 5 gallon bucket of ammo?.....you most not know me. I was moving around 5 gallon buckets of reject projectiles and sprue waste yesterday...

While precision shooters/reloaders do use a respectable amount of ammo.... that’s amateur hobby hour....

I still can’t support these cans.... I’d rather loose ammo in a cardboard box.....

Great![thumbsup]

I don’t yet have any ammo cans but I’ve always thought (possibly incorrectly) that metal cans were safer in case of a fire; that the metal can would better retain rounds as they go off than plastic which would melt. Is this myth, anything to it?

I don’t yet have any ammo cans but I’ve always thought (possibly incorrectly) that metal cans were safer in case of a fire; that the metal can would better retain rounds as they go off than plastic which would melt. Is this myth, anything to it?

It's a myth.

Tests have been done by many including the NFPA and the conclusions are that small arms ammunition cooking off in a fire pose little to no danger. The looser they are contained, the better.

There's a youtube of about 400,000 rds cooking off in a fire......no explosions just pop pop pop. Ammo will only cook off as the fire impinges on it so it basically controls itself in a fire.

Metal cans are mostly preferred for physical integrity in handling, stacking and they also provide mounting ability on some belt fed guns like the 1919a4 auto and semi auto.

I’ve accumulated a bunch of plastic Plano ones I bought at Walmart. Five bucks each.

Not sure what you guys use ammo cans for but mine hold 9 boxes of 9mm, and I just use them to organize my safe. I drop a silica gel pack in each one too.

They do the job and I’ve saved a little money.
I use the same ones. I keep 2 combat loads (420 rds) of 5.56, or 1 combat load loaded per can. For pistol, it's 500 rds per can. I label them with blue painter's tape and sharpie. I use those when I buy loose ammo, but I like the federal 420 rds ammo cans better. The ammo comes on stripper clips (woah! He said "clips") with a spoon, the cans are metal, and much slimmer.

Good find, here is more recent info including Len's take: Locking up ammo?
And note two of the several benefits that Len brings to many of these discussions:
  • A historical perspective, based on his personal experience tracking changes in the laws.
  • A sense of Massprudence, based on his personal experience hearing how police are briefed to enforce the laws and how courts have ruled about the laws.

Sidethought: The sign us up at the Raynham HF. Woot!! Probably less than a month to go. I enjoy wandering through but hate having to go to Wareham or Attleboro or Brockton (which is actually the easiest and tied for nicest - but it's BRAAAAKTIN!) or WORST - Fawl Rivah. Gosh that part of the city sucks. It's awful. I haven't been down there in years. And I won't go again.

C'mon Raynham! I've got a boat winch to buy!

I don't have a Harbor Freight near me, otherwise I probably would have picked up a couple of the plastic 50 caliber cans there. Instead, I just recently bought these on Amazon for $7.99 each, shipped: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0051F905U/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

I needed a place and way to store magazines, so I ordered this foam insert as well, which fits into the above cans: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X81D98S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mag insert is due to arrive on Monday, so I can't say how that worked out, but I'm sure it will end up being a good fit for the cans, and the cans will end up working out well for their intended purpose.

Frank

Here's one of the 50 caliber ammo cans that I got from Amazon, as per my previous post in this thread. It seems nice and sturdy to me, but haven't tried loading it up with ammo yet. These are lockable.

full

And here's a pic showing the mag insert that I got to go into the ammo can. I would have liked the insert to fit tighter in this can, but it still works fine with very little movement. I would bet that the insert would work a little better in a regular metal ammo can. Total investment for this combination shipped was $21.

full

Frank

I used to try and set stuff like that up.... all my setups are designed to be throw around and beat up in travel... I have a hot knife for foam.
I’m not anti plastic..... it’s like a safe... the value of contents vs the cost of security...

I own more pelican cases and ammo can then most people own guns...these low end plastics still suck. I’m sure in the future plastic will be my preference.

Mags and ammo... or just loose ammo cost so much that I don’t mind paying a couple dollars for a real can.

I’ve owned these cans , they suck.

How much they suck depends on the purposes they are used for. They work pretty well for what I use them for.

Back
Top Bottom