1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Harbor Freight opening in Wareham January 9 or 10

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RHJJ, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Do yourself a favor and put EVERYTHING on wheels. Even if you need to cut up plywood bases and screw them on.

Chrome Wire Shelving w Casters is amazing.

Large units available Costco for under $100 a unit.

Need more ?

WebstaurantStore: Restaurant Supply & Restaurant Supplies Store carries Regency Shelving.

Best prices anywhere, save Costco. And a far improved selection.

You might wish to go further and use plastic storage bins. CLEAR ONES.

These are the best and the cheapest: https://www.ikea.com/ms/en_US/usearch/?query=Samla

Ikea Samla Series.

Throw all your Copy Paper Boxes that you've been storing items in OUT.

BTW, Samla stacks real nice on cheap wooden Harbor Freight mover dollies.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    Dennis in MA likes this.

2. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

HF has so many Tool Chests I do get confused.

Especially when they press one of their new SUNSHINE YELLOW ones in my face.

I become dazzled by the goodness (or whatever it is).

I guess DeWalt does it, too:

[​IMG]

3. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

Well, since at the end of the day this is a gun board, I'll just say that these are more than worth the $2.99 when you can get them on sale, but don't pay the $6.99 shelf price. [wink]

[​IMG]

AHM likes this.
  4. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

How often do they go on sale?

AHM likes this.
  5. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

One of the best things I did a year or two after moving was move all contents from unopened cardboard boxes to plastic bins. I used the solid black ones from home cheapo as they don't crack on me like the clear ones, but I labeled each as to contents. They stack nicely on the shelves, the labeling makes it easy to find something, and I found both the missing cleaning kit; second DeWalt battery, and septarian concretion. It was a huge recycling week with all that cardboard.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  6. Blackmore

Blackmore NES Member

Not sure. I bought 8 for [email protected] in Manchester, NH, last summer. It was strictly a right place; right time thing. I think I've seen [email protected] once since.

AHM likes this.
  7. AHM

AHM NES Member

Somebutnotall months they're on sale all month long at $3.99/ea.,
    at least via a coupon in the monthly circular.

Not infrequently they're on double-sekrit sale for $2.99/ea. (for only 2-3 days at a time)
    with a Super Coupon from personal E-Mailings.
    1. The System, explained.
    2. They used to be on sale for $4.99/ea, but not any more. And they're lockable.
    3. Purchasing tips, to avoid getting into a Chainsaw Sharpener situation.
    4. The .30 cal box's slightly bigger brother.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    SpaceCritter likes this.
  8. FisherTech

FisherTech

I have bought stuff from HF, The first thing was a set of metric taps and dies (I needed them in hurry, they had them) They work as they are supposed to. But if when one gets dull or chipped, from being used that much, then I will buy a high end one to replace it. So far use enough cutting oil and don't force the tool, No problems. I have since bought an Air file for body work, no problems, I don't do much body work.
    I am in the process of setting up a Bridgeport (no I am not a Machinist) Bought a wooden tool box, Similar to a Gerstner, at one quarter of the price, Plus a Dial indicator. My friend who is a machinist, matched it up to his Starrett and the numbers were the same. So if you are careful you can find stuff there that will meet the standards.
    I have been told that HF is going open a place in Keene, NH as well.

Mike Stanton and AHM like this.
  9. AHM

AHM NES Member

Uh oh. Bad news for Keene's thriving economy.
    ETA: 49 photos are worth 49E3 words.

FisherTech likes this.
  10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Anyone have a Home Depot coupon code?
    Going to grab the Ridgid Impact hopefully today
    Bought the Earthquake yesterday but noticed the new Gen5 Ridgid is Brushless and has more torque

11. PatMcD

PatMcD NES Member

HF is awsome for certain things. Those variety packs in plastic bin boxes of hose clamps, or grommets, set screws, electric connectors, rivets, etc. can come in extremely handy.

I went last week and bought a set of their 6-ton jack stands because I thought it was a good deal at $32. On the way home I stopped into Tractor Supply to use the can and their same 6 ton stand sells for $26! Doh!

12. AHM

AHM NES Member

One of my regrets is that my father reached his dotage before getting a look inside the Tractor Supply that was hiking distance from his house. The one time I took him inside on a whim, I was gobsmacked. I'm sure he approved of it on the general principle that Hardware is Good, but if only he really could have appreciated it, he would have loved it.
    =====
    ETA: He would have gone Full Boris on Harbor Freight stuff - using it as raw materials.
    Each of our RVs (Wheel Camper tent camper and Shasta trailer) had literally dozens of his tweaks.

13. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Thanks. Some good ideas. I'm not 100% sure rolling shelving is necessary, but an interesting option.

I've currently got most of my power tools in a crappy sheet steel cabinet. One more of those shelty-things an I could store it all on open shelving. Would be more efficient. Plus I could move some of the stuff I really don't need to the corner it's in right now.

Lots of ideas. :)

Mike Stanton likes this.
  14. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

I'm surprised the black ones were stronger than the clear ones.

A general rule clear plastic is the strongest, as the resin cannot be adulterated with any fillers and remain clear. Fillers are usually added in interest of economy.

One exception is when a black dye provides UV resistance.

OR if a colored item has fiberglass strands or the like added.

So …. it's complicated.

15. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Their Wooden Chests are no Gerstners, but what the hell.

Still, some of the ones I've seen in the stores have very mismatched grain, poorly fitted, and are just plain ugly.

No Gerstner is ever ugly.

16. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Put everything on large casters from HF. Or SES. Welcome : Stanley E. Smith Online Store

If you ever move, you can run that plastic sheet that is wrapped around pallets all round your shelving units, and then just roll them up into the moving truck. Easy peasy.

And people DO move.

17. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie NES Member

The clear ones seemed to be made out of more brittle plastic, whereas the Home Depot ones (black with yellow covers) seen to be at least as thick but have just a bit of give in the plastic. I've had the clear one crack but never the black. I suspect it has more to do with the type of plastic than the coloration.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  18. Chevy 2 65

Chevy 2 65 NES Member

[thumbsup]

Mike Stanton likes this.
  19. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

You'll be happy you did. Its a great tool. No more air compressor to remove tires anymore, and if you can get it into the area your working stubborn bolts are a thing of the past as well.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  20. FisherTech

FisherTech

No disagreement, Maybe I got lucky This one matched draws all fit fine. Like I said They do the job quite well and "I am not a Machinist" but I needed a decent box to start putting those tools away in. Even a Kennedy was into the 300 dollar range, for just a top box.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  21. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I have 3 of those black/yellow-top big-ass bins from HD/Lowe's. Have had them for a decade or more. Still in great condition. Stack well. Put a bunch of shooting/reloading/hunting stuff in them for storage in the basement. They worked well so far.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  22. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Picked up the HF tool chest yesterday. It's HYUUUUUJ! Wow. Can't wait to get it assembled and filled. Then I can SEE my tools for a change!

Also started ordering the first of a few of those Regency shelving units. I was gonna go fixed until I realized that with rolling, I can empty the cabinets that are where the shelves WILL go right onto the shelves, then rip them out and put the rolling shelves in place. Saves me a step for sure.

Next will be a few bins for stuff that needs bins. Like screws and nails. Maybe a cheap cookie-tray vertical rack for the sandpaper collection. Getting excited that the basement clean-up will be done in the near future.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  23. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

You're on the right track.

24. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

I'm putting a lot of effort into MS ACCESS database software, and entering everything into it.

Then I can do a simple search or report and identify where everything is stored, where I bought it, and how much I paid for it.

I've got a LOT of work to do, but it does make life easier for the few things already accounted for.

25. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Don't forget HF sells PLANO-STYLE plastic organizers for a fraction of PLANO prices.

26. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

Which one did you get?

27. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

30" 5-drawer. THere's a coupon on their website for $189. Regularly $219. Even at $219 it was a good deal. They have 6 colors, I think. Sane people will pick from black, blue or red. Some nut HAS to have day-glo-orange or lemon-yellah-sun. And the occasional degenerate gets the lime vomit green. LOL.

30 in. 5 Drawer Black Mechanic's Cart

30" didn't sound like much. I GUESS it seemed big. So I went to see them at the Attleboro store on Wednesday. HYUUUJ!! Gigantic, even. Very impressive.

Took about an hour to put together. The wheels were the biggest PITA to do because it uses carriage bolts and the holes in the deck weren't wide enough to fit the square section of the carriage bolts. It's heavy. You'll need help getting it out of your truck and lifting the box onto the frame. Well, I got it out of my truck and onto my dolly but I'm not sure how I did it. (It's about 120lbs and bulky.) Wife helped me lift int onto the stand last night. Took us all of 2 min.

Currently, all of my tools are piled into 3 mid-depth 12" kitchen drawers. . . . plus hung on the wall and strewn around the top of that cabinet. I'm suspecting it will all fit easily into this chest with room to spare. Saws will be the only thing I'll have to think about. I've got shelving coming so I'm thinking S-hooks on the side of the shelving for those.

Oh and the instructions suck. Go figure. If you get one, put the wheels on and DOG THEM BOLTS DOWN. You'll never have a chance to tighten them again. THEN finish the assembly. The wheels use the bag of parts with locknuts and washers. (Thankfully they separate the parts a bit.). Looking at the pictures was more help than the actual instructions.

Before I really get started, I should take a before pic of the wall I'm organizing. That way I can compare afterwards. My bet is that I'll have a S-ton of shelf room left.

28. AHM

AHM NES Member

It's the least she could do for you.

29. bfm

bfm NES Member

30. T-Unit

T-Unit

Can't say mine screams of quality, but if you're just using it to store stuff semi organized and not get scratched, hey they're not bad for the money.