1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harbor Freight opening in Wareham January 9 or 10

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by RHJJ, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

Which is why I prefer wood.

It withstands shocks very well.

2. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

Yeah, all whopping 2.4 miles. It's an extra 0.1 miles to get to HD. Or, I can just pull into the HF lot while heading up to 4 Seasons if I am worried about running up the mileage.

3. evalance

evalance

Their invertors are pretty decent got the 3500 predator nice machine

mikelawtown likes this.
  4. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Anyone find coupons for their Earthquake tools?
    Looking at the 3/8 impact

5. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

A friend who works on alot of farm machinery bought one of the 3/8 Earthquake battery powered impacts and he loves it.

mikelawtown likes this.
  6. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

Just got their flyer in the mail today. The US General 5 drawer roller work cabinet is back on sale for $189. Think I'm gonna pick one up. Its perfect for working in my driveway.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  7. AHM

AHM NES Member

My Intro to Harbor Freight story:

My very first trip to a Harbor Freight
    (the one in the strip mall on 101A in Amherst, NH),
    I am at the entrance painstakingly filling out the sale circular registration form;
    tongue clenched between my teeth for penmanship focus
    like Ralphie transcribing cyphertext from Little Orphan Annie.

Mind you, I haven't gotten a dozen feet inside the store yet.

I overhear this conversation at the cash registers:

"
    Customer:
    I want my money back on this electric chain saw sharpener.​

Clerk:
    What seems to be the problem?​

Customer:
    The motor burned out on the first one I bought
    before I finished using it for the very first time.
    When I got the replacement home,
    I discovered that the sharpening stone was cracked in half
    before I even got it out of the box.​

Clerk:
    Hmmm. We don't get many returns of that item.
    Give me the busted one and let's go pick another off the shelf
    and make sure it's working before you go home.​

Customer:
    OK, but I'll just bring the second replacement up front myself.
    I know where they are, and I got other stuff to buy​
    "

The poor bastard is so hooked on Harbor Freight
    that not only does he fold on getting a refund,
    he can't even pause to test the second replacement PoS chain sharpener -
    because he's in a big rush to buy some other HF PoS.

So my expectations have been well set from the get-go.

But this anecdote raises the question,
    which one of you guys was it who I overheard returning the saw sharpener?
    [​IMG]
    =====
    You're not wrong.

There was a fatality story in the Digital Carbuffs notes file.

Some guy was compressing the coil springs on his car to replace his struts,
    by supporting the weight of the car via lower control arms on cinder blocks.

Which is an actual stupid thing people do when they don't have coil compressors.

He had his head near the control arm when the cinder block suddenly turned to dust,
    and the coil spring whipped the suspension against his skull and crushed it.
    (ETA: like an eggshell).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
    drgrant and Mike Stanton like this.
  8. radioman

radioman NES Member

Snap-On and the like are to expensive!! HF stuff is priced right!
    I’ve heard this so many times I refuse to debate this topic anymore
    face to face because I don’t want to go to jail. I’m just going
    to put my 2¢ in and go back to watching tv. Everything HF
    sells with a motor or blade is full blown crap. If you’re going
    to buy a tool or anything else for that matter buy it right the
    first time. That means spend the money. If you can’t afford
    a quality tool then rent or borrow one. I’ve offered my tools for use by
    members here and never got one ask. People seem to like
    risking life and limb by using crap tools. Some HF chrome
    stuff I’ve seen looks not to bad. If your only going to use
    the tools once a year then go for the HF. I’d hate to tie up 1000’s
    in tools for behind the seat in my p/u truck so I can see a use for their
    steel tools but I’d never even pull the trigger on one of their
    angle grinders, chainsaw sharpeners or anything with a blade.
    Even my fat crappy body is worth more than an HF circ saw, etc....

drgrant, firestorm and AHM like this.
  9. T-Unit

T-Unit

Socket sets, complete sets from 4mm to over 20mm, 3/16 to 1 inch, both 1/4" and 3/8" I get from a better brand because those sockets see use often, but breaker bars that I'm going to use maybe thrice a year or floor jacks, get at HF. Jack stands are a different matter, I would rather spend an extra $10 on better ones because that's life/death situation.

I find when Walmart has a sale on their website for tool boxes or those 4 foot long workbenches with the pegboard that their prices are better than HF. I believe I recently saw one of those workbenches, Hyper Tough brand, for $50 on sale.

If it uses electricity, it's not worth buying. If you just want a cheap set of wrenches, hammers, clamps, or anything mechanical, HF is the way to go.

So, yeah, love Harbor Freight. Huge inventory, when I want something they always have it. Employees are super nice, last time I went it was a Friday night and the cashier was a very nice Black girl who was so nice, I would've like to tap dat ass for that alone.

EDIT: There is one thing that HF sells that uses electricity that is worth buying: the rotary tumblers for wet tumbling brass for reloading. I was skeptical about it, didn't know if it would last, but after 5 straight hours of running, it was fine. It's a simple motor that goes one speed and has an on/off switch. Impossible to dork that up.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown NES Member

Bought a 4 inch angle grinder/cut off wheel and has been great for the last few years.
    I watch this guy who owns his own shop are YouTube and he uses the cordless impacts and Likes them to the point where He can pick them up all the time now And says they just keep ticking

11. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

Ive got no issues with HF hand tools theyve always done the job. As well as the 3 ton jack. Its been great. I use jack stands and the tire as well. Ill not buy hand tools (wrenches, ratchets and sockets) anywhere else.

Ive had most brand name electric tools before HF existed and still have them. So I can only say the HF dremel I bought is good for the occasional use I give it. Id hesitate to buy electric tools there if you want something that lasts.....but some people tell me they are 1/4 the price of Milwaukee so they just buy and use til the tool dies and buy another one.

I bought a oil lube compressor there and its been awesome, I use it maybe once a week, never an issue.

My last tool purchase was a battery 1/2 impact for easy tire removal w/o the compressor. I looked at HF but Ridgid actually came in way cheaper like 159 vs. 239 at HF. And the Ridgid was smaller and could get into tighter places. One of the best things ive ever bought, balls of tourque and its gotten me out of some sticky brake jobs already where I couldnt bust the caliper bracket nut, even with a breaker, but that thing worked.

Id say you have to shop for electric and battery tools. But HF has been mostly good for me.

12. beaker

beaker NES Member

AvE, my favorite Canadian!

Gator9329 likes this.
  13. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

is it just me, or did all of their prices rise over the last year. I go in there now, see something i might marginally want, then look at the price tag and shudder. Like a tool cabinet....who in their right mind would pay $300 for a HF tool cabinet?

Mike Stanton likes this.
  14. Wickedcoolname

Wickedcoolname NES Member

I've purchased three things from China Freight and they each broke on their first use. That was enough for me.

15. Mark from MA

Mark from MA NES Member

I have the tool cart, which was a lot cheaper than that....the thing is decent for the money ( sub 100 bucks) and I love how easily I can take my main tools around and work off of it. It works great for me, and although not top quality....I don't make a living with my tools, they are occasional use only.

It depends though, some of the cabinets have some decent quality lately. You'll pay for it....but again....buy a brand name if its the same or less money and quality. That's where I draw the line. HF will have a hard time when it comes into the "real" tool market for most things. Hand tools is easier to get into...but if your talking other things like electric tools, cordless, and tool boxes, etc....people will buy brand name if it cost the same money.

I'm a little jaded on the electric tool thing...I have all brand name tools, bought them years ago before HF. Now they mostly sit, as I built my house, garage, additions and side work. I generally do not use them at all anymore, and used tools are worthless, even brand name. So I keep them all. But had HF electric tools been around, i could have saved a boatload of money, and likely got the use I needed and thrown it away, or sitting it wouldn't have cost me so much money. However, there is the case that my son and daughter will need tools when they build or buy their houses, and I know the Bosch Worm Drive saw and the Milwaukee super sawzall, and various corded brand name tools that I bought to build all my shxt with, will still be running to build their stuff, and more. The question is, whether I'll need cords anymore in the future.

Now I mostly use cordless tools, as most of my jobs are small.....and I tried Milwaukee, the batteries sucked. Bought a whole kit, batteries died in 3 years.

I then bought Ridgid....I'm now married to the batteries, they have been great, and because I have so many, I buy Ridgid cordless tools. They are good, and have a great warranty. I would not buy anything else. Even cheaper HF. Not worth it. I have batteries and chargers all over for Ridgid.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  16. EMTDAD

EMTDAD

they can, and have done it.. . bought a few cheap brushes for some wood craft projects... bristles falling out like pine needles...

17. Oldarmy

Oldarmy

I got a few things from there like cheap angle grinders. I set them up differently so I don't have to change out accessories. I must say I really like the 40 dollar electric impact. Had one for years and it does the job quite well I must say. They are putting in a new store in Keene and it should be up and running by the fall of next year. I love the smell of cheap Chinese rubber in the morning!

18. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Damnjustdamn! As mentioned, wood takes vibration well. I had a small well-built cinder-block wall I removed a few months ago. Some light whacks with a sledge took out the blocks pretty easy. (Not filled - just hollow.) I can't imagine putting a CAR on one.

AHM likes this.
  19. rep308

rep308 NES Member

HF.PNG
    I print out this .pdf every few years and leave it at my club for yucks. I swear I got it from this site years ago

Attached Files:

20. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Not everything they make is junk. I have a tile/brick saw from them that's actually pretty decent. I would put it up against the comparable DeWalt that costs more than 5x more.

Edit:
    Beat me to it:

21. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

I "think" it was on sale for $99 on Black Friday.

I missed it.

22. Mike Stanton

Mike Stanton

In actual fact the Tariffs have hit Harbor Freight pretty hard.

It's noticeable on the more expensive items.

One I had my eye on jumped from $550 to $650 in a single month.

23. Junior314

Junior314 NES Member

Compare it to a Husky,Craftsman,Snap on comparable and let me know if you think it is still over priced. Also they have introduced alot of new product and have been slowly improving the quality of their power tools.

I have a US General Cabinet (HF) that sits under my workbench and haven't had a single issue, included drawer labels/liners and casters. Ball bearings and all the other fixings. Same thing would have cost me at least 2x that anywhere else.

24. Paul455

Paul455 NES Member

Listen to the wise man!

A friend of mine was killed when a jack failed and the vehicle crushed him.

25. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

That was probably the 3 drawer one.

Mike Stanton likes this.
  26. AHM

AHM NES Member

Nopey McNope - it was the ¡New! 30 in. 4 Drawer Black Tech Cart.

Black Friday (and online, on Thanksgiving),
    it was $99.99, marked down from $159.99,
    compare to Snap-On KRBC10TBPC $799.95 (¡save! $699).

Mike Stanton and mwalsh9152 like this.
  27. MachineHead

MachineHead NES Member

I don’t mind some of their stuff that doesn’t require precision or tools I use more often than not. Dewalt screwdriver, impact driver, drill, and circular saw for me. Clamps, rulers, squares, levels, zip ties, tarps, and basically any hand tools you’re rarely going to use.

Everything else go to brand name.

28. Rob Boudrie

Rob Boudrie

Lowes house brand is Kobalt. Klein is a name brand of electricians tools commonly used by pros.

As to warranty .... Home Depot, Lowes and Sears (until the close their doors) have a hand tool policy of "Lifetime warranty, if it has our name on it, it is covered". SnapOn has weasel words so that even if it is obviously SnapOn, you need the original receipt/invoice for warranty replacement (though I do not know how rigidly that is enforced).

29. looser38

looser38 NES Member

Heard the same, but now I don't think so. Could be wrong, we'll see.

30. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

How is that tool chest??? I'm thinking of a complete basement re-do. I've got some old cabinets and such that house a pile of crap. But there's a lally-column in the way. I'm thinking the rolling tool chest, some shelving and a bookshelf to hold some reference material and sandpaper (which is just stacked willy-nilly in a cabinet now).

Mike Stanton likes this.