Harbor Freight opening in Wareham January 9 or 10

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I don't know why people crap on HF. I mean, you know what you are/are not getting. If your a pro or make your living with your tools, of course you don't shop there, but for the other 99% of the people out there who occasionally need a pry bar, allen set or crescent wrench or pliers, for DIY projects it does just fine. I'm sure everyone here has a full roller tool chest filled with Snap On for changing the oil in their Subaru or changing Timmy's bike tire right?

I'll buy miscellaneous stuff that I need once a year like a large C clamp or a breaker bar for that odd job, but I have no illusion that im going to buy a ratchet and socket set for $20 and have it last a lifetime of regular use, or that a $10 cordless impact isnt gonna shit the bed in .02sec.

They're the fast food joint of the tool world, you get what you pay for and sometimes it gets ya by.

Behind Enemy Lines

Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Funny, I bid on that job a few weeks ago with a construction start date of 10/15. No work has started there as of the other day and they put up a big Now Leasing sign so I figured the overall number was too high. Was another one planned in Raynham.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do they sell any tools that are made in USA? I thought it was all Chinese garbage
I don't even think China could make the garbage sold there, I think it all comes from sweatshops manned by 10 year olds..I think even HF can screw up a paint brush.

PaulR

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Benny's was great.

Harbor Freight: as above, it has it's uses.

As long as you don't have to plug it in, or your life depends on it, HF is just fine.

They are opening one here in Hadley soon as well.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
99.999% of everything I have seen in HF is crap.

"single use" tools, assuming they don't fail in use.

The only thing I buy there is zip ties.

I see guys swear by the 299 dollar bike lifts.... I am not trusting any of my bikes to a POS HF lift....

zboys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Mostly crap but their 3" , 4", cutoff saw blades will outlast any Forney, Norton blades and at a fraction of the cost.

Uzi2

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I buy Harbor Freight tools.

Their wrenches, sockets, ratchets, and various other hand tools carry the same lifetime warranty as any other brand of tools and when one is equipping two vehicles, a tractor, two four wheelers, and garage boxes with tools.....I'm not buying Snap On or any other brand at six times the price. They work just fine and if they get lost I'm not out a bunch of money.

For the average home owner or tinkerer, HF tools are just fine.

The place will do a land office business....mark my words. At my local HF there is always 20 people in the place any time of the day or day of the week.

clampett

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bought a nice tile table saw and did the flooring in my kitchen and bathroom with it. Best $200 I’ve spent in a while. Almost bought the DeWalt for $800 but now it would be sitting in my basement for another 10yrs till the next flooring project.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ei7cIV7g3F4
I also bought one. And just like some of the reviews said, the nozzle that squirts water on the blade sucks.
A guy on youtube has a video on how to repair it, he just cut up a little piece of a beer can to make a deflector, I tried it and now the thing works great.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
99.999% of everything I have seen in HF is crap.

"single use" tools, assuming they don't fail in use.

The only thing I buy there is zip ties.

I see guys swear by the 299 dollar bike lifts.... I am not trusting any of my bikes to a POS HF lift....
I have a nice low profile 3 ton car jack and jack stands from Harbor Fright (or Hazard Fraught lol) , as well as some impact sockets, and an air ratchet (which I dont use much, thats why I just got an HF one)..

Some of the stuff actually IS decent. The junk stuff is obvious just by looking at it, most of the time...

-Mike

rcwhat

NES Member
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I have a nice low profile 3 ton car jack and jack stands from Harbor Fright (or Hazard Fraught lol) , as well as some impact sockets, and an air ratchet (which I dont use much, thats why I just got an HF one)..

Some of the stuff actually IS decent. The junk stuff is obvious just by looking at it, most of the time...

-Mike
I actually forgot about my car jack. I also have most likely the same one. Low profile 3ton. I think I paid $80 and it’s light years better than my craftsman professional series aluminum jack that only lasted one year before the piston starting leaking

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

-Mike
you actually get under the car while it's on HF jack stands, wowzers.
Of course, I shimmy under mine while on Rhino Ramps, but still...

TheGreekFreak

NES Member
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Not a pro but do wrench a bit on my car so have to prioritize how I spend on tools. Wouldn't buy essential tools I use alot from HF as I've dealt with crappy sockets, ratchets, wrenches, etc in the past and the frustration is absolutely not worth it.

Till now, I have picked up a set of jack stands, 2 floor jacks, and a big rolling tool box from HF. No regrets, all 3 work perfectly fine for my needs. Would a much nicer $8K snap-on toolbox have been better for standing on the drawers or showing off to my friends? Would the drawers have opened/closed smoother? Built better for the long run to take massive amounts of abuse? Sure, but I spent $350, it works just fine, and could care less if it can withstand a nuclear bomb as it doesnt get used everyday. It just holds some tools....

Honestly don't get the constant HF bashing, its a place that serves a need. Not everyone needs top shelf pro quality for every tool they have in their residential garage for occasional DIY work....still, that may be about where I stop with HF. It's hard to f*** up jack stands, not so much to f*** up socket tolerances. For hand tools, I like gearwrench as they're reasonably priced and pretty decent quality. Again, not snap-on, but pretty damn good for the money imo.

Top Bottom