harbor freight opening in Danvers

sschevy

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Just thought I would throw a heads up out there to all the north shore/Boston area people. Harbor Freight is opening a store in Danver on Rt 1 where the old circut city was...The sign is up and hopefully they will be open for business soon...they can't open soon enough for me!

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
I've never bought from them, but I've seen their ads. Is there stuff really that good?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
One also opened up recently in (tax free!) Amherst NH on rt 101.

My experience is that sometimes you can find a specialty tool that you only need to use once, its cheap and it works. For tools that you expect to use a lot, its worth it to get a better quality brand. Nothings worse than a tool breaking right when you need it most or it actually causing damage to what you're working on (rounding off nuts because the sockets are a little loose or crack and stretch for example.)

It's all Chinese made crap, but not everyone needs Snap-on or MAC tools in their chest.

Bill Katt

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Some of their stuff is great, some is crap. You're best off getting on their mailing list for the really good deals. If you're looking for something specific but not sure what to look for as far as quality, try to bring someone with you that does know to come and check it out with you. [wink]

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I've never bought from them, but I've seen their ads. Is there stuff really that good?
I have gotten a few things there.. they seem ok if you are on a tight budget but really need a tool. I got turned off by them when I saw that all the American flags they sell there are like all the other stuff they sell.. MADE IN CHINA. [angry]

sschevy

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I have bought air tools there for 10-20 bucks that have, to date, outlasted much of my snap on air tools, Look closely, lots of snap on stuff is off shore too..... snap on combo wrenches kick butt as well as the sockets and pliers but I have harbor stuff that has stood the test of time. Plus how can you go wrong, its better than craftsman and now they have a lifetime warrenty on the hand tools at harbor also...just watch out for the vise grips my buddy broke a pair right in the store!

Most of the metalworking stuff they have is great also, especially for the price. and they also sell consumables

I installed one of their winches on the bow of a pontoon boat 3 years ago to pull core samples out of harbors, the boat has been in the water ever since... rain snow, salt water splashing over it and its still kicking..It has pulled dozens of 400lb+ samples up for the bottom of the harbor ..how can you beat that for 99 bucks

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
IMO they sell mostly junk. I bought an oil can there recently... it leaks at all the seams. You can tell just by picking up most things in that store that it's cheap. Good for some small items you might need, but I wouldn't touch most items there with a ten foot pole...

sschevy

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
To get back to shooting related stuff:

Do you know if you can get their walnut shell media in their stores, or if they can order it for pickup at the store wihtout deliver charge?

http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?category=&q=walnut+shell
exactly....small screwdrives sets for gunsmithing stuff, great supply of polishing wheels for feed ramps and such...roll pins, set screws, soft face hammers, safety glasses (so what if they are lead lined) media, small plastic bins...the cheapest blue tarps in all sizes you will ever see...they come in camo too, tie downs for your truck..the list goes on and on...all kinds of shooting sports/hunting complements...all those that are downing them will surely be there at some point ....

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
exactly....small screwdrives sets for gunsmithing stuff, great supply of polishing wheels for feed ramps and such...roll pins, set screws, soft face hammers, safety glasses (so what if they are lead lined) media, small plastic bins...the cheapest blue tarps in all sizes you will ever see...they come in camo too, tie downs for your truck..the list goes on and on...all kinds of shooting sports/hunting complements...all those that are downing them will surely be there at some point ....
Yup, they are very good for that stuff.

groundscrapers

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
They always have 20% off coupons in mags like maxim and sports illustrated. In some cases you can buy the mag for the coupon and then the savings will cover the cost of the mag and some.

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
As mentioned by syntax, they opened in Amherst, NH on 101A a few weeks ago. Cheap tools, but at least they are priced low.

I go there to buy mini screwdrivers and "security bit" sets to keep in my desk at work, so I'm not nearly as PO'd when they turn up missing.
I usually get those at the MIT Flea Market. There is a guy there that sells bit sets like that and small screw driver sets. He's also at the Deerfield, NH Ham Radio Flea Market. Still, it's good to know the type of stuff they sell. I live near WT Tool North. They have some of the same stuff, but from my experience the quality is a bit bitter on most of the stuff.

kiver

NES Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
If your looking for an impact wrench, their Earthquake line rocks. Good prices and some of the stuff is decent quality, just be sure to read the customer reviews.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
+1 on the Earthquake. I needed to do some suspension work and got an impact wrench and some long handled wrenches for short money. There is both quality and crap there. you need to look it over and judge what is best for you.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I have a ton of their stuff. Including one of their Oiless 17 gallon 4 horse 195 psi Compressor. I paid about 120 buck for it...and it's lasted me over two years now. I've used it to tear the breaks off my buddies truck, replacing the exaust on a truck, doing the breaks on my Jeep. I've use it for my brad nailer that I paid 20 dollars for at HF and I've built all kinds of thing.

I love this place...I used to go every Monday when I got my coupons in my e-mail box. But, as I've now not got the extra money, I haven't been in one for a long time..

I have the JackStands that I've also used for working on our cars. Tons of small tools. Some Torque wrences, breaker bars, and one of the coolest open socket sets I've ever used.

ASHDUMP

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Harbor Freight is the bomb! Just like many have said - if you're looking for a specialty tool and are probably going to use it a couple times here and there its great. I bought a 3ton jack that I use every once in a while.

The best deal was their oscillating saw with attachments for $19. Now its like $35.

I like nice tools, but I aint gonna spend $200 on a tool I use 5 times a year.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've got a couple of angle grinders that I got from Harbor Freight... I bought a back up because I though they would last a few weeks. Ive abused the crap out of it and it just wont die. paid $12.99 a piece.

Also got an autodarkening welding hood that works great.

I've also got one of these still in the box, waiting for a place to set it up: http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html
its chinese , but people have been able to get good results with a few tweaks and a new blade.

DMW

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all of their stuff is junk. Only about 50%, based on my experience. I would NEVER buy anything there that could kill me if it failed such as a jack stand, engine hoist, or large power tools. The little items for $1-$5 are ok as throw aways.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
oh yeah... sometimes American Rifleman has a 20% coupon that's usually good for 6 months. if not, Popular Science/Popular Mechanics almost almost has the full page 20% ad.

sschevy

Instructor
Dealer
NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Not all of their stuff is junk. Only about 50%, based on my experience. I would NEVER buy anything there that could kill me if it failed such as a jack stand, engine hoist, or large power tools. The little items for $1-$5 are ok as throw aways.
I've been using one of harbors engine hoists for 4 years now....no issues no problems....remember no one wants to get sued

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Don't use anything from Harbor Freight that requires electricity and you'll do just fine. [rofl]

Or at least if you do buy it, don't leave it plugged in... [laugh]

-Mike

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I just went there a couple of weeks ago.

it's a fun store w good selection. I had bought from their online catalog a few times in years past.

but seeing the store, walking in, up close, a wave of reality and doomsday hit me. My thoughts went to globalization, outsourcing, offshoring, sweatshops, the ends of eras, the end of Sears tools.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Top Bottom