Harbor Freight Gun Safe?

Gually

NES Member
Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a gun safe but would rather not spend the kind of money most of them go for. Harbor Freight has two different Union Safe 10 gun safes, a keyed locking (about $200) and an electronic licking (about $400). I noticed the keyed one is actually advertised as a security cabinet where the the electronic one is advertised as a safe.

If any of you own either of these I'd love to know your thoughts and if they're any good considering how low caost they are. And feel free to chime in if you have any other budget safe reccomendations, preferably around the size of these.
Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221111-002530.jpg
    Screenshot_20221111-002530.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Screenshot_20221111-002518.jpg
    Screenshot_20221111-002518.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 132
Check tractor supply
12 gun Winchester for $449
10 gun 2 door security cabinet for 289
Go look at the HF safe and then look at a decent quality safe (the Winchester is a budget safe)

I haven't looked at the HF units so I don't know the quality but wouldn't expect much.

However if that's what's in your budget then grab a security cabinet that you can use for ammo storage later when your financial situation gets better. Don't let the comments get to you unless, of course, you can afford a US made safe and a just being cheap.

Do they have a zipper on the side 🤔

chinesium 💩

Are there more safe threads or coyote threads 🤔

Last edited:
Don't waste your money on a safe from a big box store. Don't waste your money on a safe from a big box store.

The safe in the photos appears to be a metal box with no fire protection. I'd say it's overpriced and you'd be better spending the money on a decent metal cabinet with a padlock. But.... If you want something that looks like a safe then buy it, if you want something that acts like a safe go to a safe store.

95% of the stuff I've bought (mostly power tools, their "Chicago Electric" brand which should actually be "Shenzhen Electric" ) from Harbor Freight was crap. Worked for a few months and then simply died.
Imagine if you bought the "electronic locking" safe and one day the lock simply refused to open because it is cheap Chinese junk.
Maye you could cut the safe open using your Chicago Electric drill or cut-off wheel, assuming that hasn't s**t the bed as well.
The older I get the more I appreciate the old adage "You get what you pay for".

So they'll probably satisfy basic requirements of keeping the kids from fondling the guns, but I would feel dirty buying a safe from Harbor Freight. That isn't really me hating on the company as I buy stuff from them.

TSC is the way to go for inexpensive stuff. I have a 24 gun "Winchester" safe I bought from Walmart in Anchorage about 15 years ago. It's been moved a half dozen times since then is is still ticking. Once I move again, I'll need to buy another one or two just so I can get better organized.

Also in the non club store category, Lowes has started stocking safes. I haven't looked but if you qualify for one of their discount programs such as .mil, it might work out.

Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a gun safe but would rather not spend the kind of money most of them go for. Harbor Freight has two different Union Safe 10 gun safes, a keyed locking (about $200) and an electronic licking (about $400). I noticed the keyed one is actually advertised as a security cabinet where the the electronic one is advertised as a safe.

If any of you own either of these I'd love to know your thoughts and if they're any good considering how low caost they are. And feel free to chime in if you have any other budget safe reccomendations, preferably around the size of these.
Thanks!

electronic licking sounds intriguing!

Harbor tries to sell extended warranty on nearly everything they sell. A $20 item has a $10 warranty extended. No thanks.

Disclaimer: I've never shopped at Harbor Freight. If you are looking for something to meet legal storage requirements, these or any other cheap "safe" should suffice. I can't speak to how long they will last, but the website warns that they won't sell replacement keys. So if you lose it, you are hosed.

As for effective security against theft or fire protection? Look elsewhere. If you don't secure it to a foundation, a thief can easily roll either of these out with a two-wheeler. The door is something like 9-gauge steel, and the sides are likely 16 gauge or so. It doesn't take much in the way of tools to get through that in a couple of minutes. At a guess, prying it open wouldn't be much harder.

I call these "paranoia vs. pocketbook" issues, and they are inherently subjective. I can't speak to what's right for you and I won't speak about my own security choices.

95% of the stuff I've bought (mostly power tools, their "Chicago Electric" brand which should actually be "Shenzhen Electric" ) from Harbor Freight was crap. Worked for a few months and then simply died.///
They’ve dramatically revamped their offerings with several higher quality/ feature brands.

Bought an Icon flex head 3/8” ratchet. 90 tooth. Lifetime warranty. On the low end at $45 but not the cheapest.

95% of the stuff I've bought (mostly power tools, their "Chicago Electric" brand which should actually be "Shenzhen Electric" ) from Harbor Freight was crap. Worked for a few months and then simply died.
Imagine if you bought the "electronic locking" safe and one day the lock simply refused to open because it is cheap Chinese junk.
Maye you could cut the safe open using your Chicago Electric drill or cut-off wheel, assuming that hasn't s**t the bed as well.
The older I get the more I appreciate the old adage "You get what you pay for".
And 95% of all power tools sold anywhere are made in China including pretty much all the reputable brands. Harbor Freight has some duds and some gems. Most of their hand tools are throw away assuming they haven't broken before you leave the store with them. Their generators are pretty solid though, my 3500w Predator purrs like a pussycat

OK back to the original topic

If you just want a box to put guns in that will deny unauthorized people from easily getting to them, then have at it.

If the home is broken into, and the folks that break in find it, and find any sort of tools in the house, given enough time they will either get into it, or find a way to carry it out.

As to fire ratings, it probably has none. But then again even the best homeowner grade safes are only good for a couple of hours tops.

the UL rating you want to see on any literature is UL 72 Class 125... that will give you the best hope of minimal damage

I have a good fire resistant lock box inside of my safe with important papers and such hoping if the house does go up, when they find the safe in the basement after it has fallen thru three floors to get there I will still have my car titles and such.

So now that we know a cheap safe is just for honest people, or to make it more trouble than it is worth for your local meth head who is looking for a quick in and out score for items they can sell or pawn, and that it is probably not going to save them from fire... we can get to moisture.

The big issue you are going to have is finding a safe with good enough sealing qualities that humid air is not going to get trapped in their and kill your guns. This is especially important if your safe is going to be in the basement.

More guns have been ruined by humidity in safes than theft or fire

Back
Top Bottom