Harbor Freight Gun Safe?

Harbor Freight has become a more useful Industrial Supply store than chains like Grainger.

Needed some safety wire before a motorcycle track day. Every HF has it. Hard to find elsewhere.
Yes I'm impressed with harbor freight so far, haven't a ton of stuff from there but their air compressors and predator inverter generators are solid.

I't depends on what you intend it for. If you only want it to meet legal storage requirements and to keep curious youngsters out, the cheaper of the two will do. Both of these are really storage cabinets, not what I would consider a safe since neither offer fire protection. The more expensive of the two just offers a bit heavier gauge steel, but that's really it. It might deter an amateur thief, but if they are actually going after guns, they could get into the $400 in about 2 minutes. In my mind the $400 isn't worth twice the price, since it just offers slightly better locking and slightly heavier gauge steal, but not enough to deter a semi-determined thief. Since They both are really only good for keeping the curious out, might as well save the $$$ and go with the cheaper one.

If you want a real safe, you need to go with a fire rated safe as the above posters have pointed out. I have a pretty simple rule on any gun safe I buy: it has to offer 60 minutes of fire protection (where I live the volunteer fire department admits that they primarily save the foundation) and has to weigh at least 500 pounds (indicating it has some reasonable amount of steel in it and can't be easily carted off to be opened later). Anything else is just a storage cabinet and you might as well go as cheap as possible on those.

Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a gun safe but would rather not spend the kind of money most of them go for. Harbor Freight has two different Union Safe 10 gun safes, a keyed locking (about $200) and an electronic licking (about $400). I noticed the keyed one is actually advertised as a security cabinet where the the electronic one is advertised as a safe.

If any of you own either of these I'd love to know your thoughts and if they're any good considering how low caost they are. And feel free to chime in if you have any other budget safe reccomendations, preferably around the size of these.
Thanks!
Black friday weekend is close. I would wait and jump on a sale from tractor supply, costco, even lowes and home depot have good safe sales usually on black friday weekend. Id try to stay away from going too cheap. If you are going to do that then just get a stack on cabinet.

Hey guys,
I'm in the market for a gun safe but would rather not spend the kind of money most of them go for. Harbor Freight has two different Union Safe 10 gun safes, a keyed locking (about $200) and an electronic licking (about $400). I noticed the keyed one is actually advertised as a security cabinet where the the electronic one is advertised as a safe.

If any of you own either of these I'd love to know your thoughts and if they're any good considering how low caost they are. And feel free to chime in if you have any other budget safe reccomendations, preferably around the size of these.
Thanks!
I own the one on the left. I paid a whole lot less than $200 for it at Walmart and could open it with any decent screwdriver if I really wanted to. It is perfectly fine for keeping my 4 yr old away from my guns but that is about as "secure" as it gets. BTW, If you plan on putting scoped rifles in it, then you need to cut the stated capacity in half because you'll have to put them in sideways.

I haven't read the whole thread. I just wanted to say that lowes has had really good black Friday safe sales and with free shipping. Get a lowes card and get 5 more percent off. It's not much but worth it as long as you pay it off in full.

iu

I got one of those field and stream 32+6 gun safes from Dicks back in 2013 or so. Was $600 I think? It weighs over 500 pounds empty but most of the weight and thickness is in the door.
I think someone could easily cut through the sides with an angle grinder.
It’s worked well so far and is essentially full at this point. I bought it long before Dicks was known to be anti-gun. I wasn’t making much money back then so I couldn’t afford much.

Nowadays I’d probably get something from eastern safe

How about an American made job box tipped up 🤔

I wouldn't even put the MIL in one of those HF pieces of 💩, the witch might get out !!!
Many of the Craftsman branded tool boxes at Lowes are made in the USA.
Long enough ones with locking deep drawers would be useful for gun storage.

When I was in college there was a song about that. Band called "The Fugs." I won't link to it, but it's easy to find.

Back to the original topic, if you have a BJ's card they are selling some safes right now. Unless it's a four figure gun safe I figure them to be fire and amateur thief resistant. Anything can be broken into given enough time and the right tools.

harbor freight may be cheap and easy but look at it like using Saran Wrap as a condom. It seems like a good idea and may work but you will more likely regret it eventually.

I have never and will never buy an electronic safe - dials only.

Electronic safes have two ways to open them - code or backup key. Batteries die, and keys are one extra thing to lose or have stolen.

All safes get bolted to concrete with lead anchors.

I have never and will never buy an electronic safe - dials only.

Electronic safes have two ways to open them - code or backup key. Batteries die, and keys are one extra thing to lose or have stolen.

All safes get bolted to concrete with lead anchors.
I used tapcon screws
Much easier to install and anyone with the tools to defeat them will just cut the safe instead.

Everyone here is going to shit on Harbor Freight because they have a knee jerk reaction and think everything is junk and have nothing worthwhile to contribute.

I don't like the security cabinet, there are better ones out their for not much more (look at Tractor Supply), but the actual safe is one that's on my list. It's one of the few out there that isn't fire resistant, but in doing research is seems like none of the fire resistant gun safes do anything to protect against anything but a small fire that doesn't totally engulf a home, so to me it's not needed, so why spend the extra money and deal with the extra heft?

Hey guys,

Thanks!
The cabinet is the same as stack on. I have 1 for ammo + random sh*t.

The other is a safe.

Both meet State requirement for storage.
Both will keep kids out.
Both can be easily cut open.
The safe will be harder to open with brute force.

I say go for it, no need to spend stupid money on a $1K+ safe that will cost you 2 guns to move and be a major PITA. All safes in the market today can be cut open with a saw in under 5 minutes (including those nice ones for $2K).

I post this on every safe related thread ...

In my opinion, it is better to have several smaller safes than one huge safe.

This makes them easier to move and easier to segregate guns and organize (example - all safe queens in one, all the guns you use every week in another, all ammo + miscelaneous stuff such as uppers, lowers and other stuff you kgiht want to store in a third).

Paying a premium for a fireproof safe is not worth it unless you habe guns you CANNOT replace. If all you have are common guns, easy to find guns that have no sentimental value, pay Eastern for insurance. You can get something like $40-50K for $100 or so per year (I need to double check the policy cost).

And 95% of all power tools sold anywhere are made in China including pretty much all the reputable brands. Harbor Freight has some duds and some gems. Most of their hand tools are throw away assuming they haven't broken before you leave the store with them. Their generators are pretty solid though, my 3500w Predator purrs like a pussycat
Have you checked the output? With HF's reputation, the sine wave is probably off by 180 degrees.....

In my opinion, it is better to have several smaller safes than one huge safe.

This makes them easier to move and easier to segregate guns and organize (example - all safe queens in one, all the guns you use every week in another, all ammo + miscellaneous stuff such as uppers, lowers and other stuff you might want to store in a third).

Paying a premium for a fireproof safe is not worth it unless you have guns you CANNOT replace. If all you have are common guns, easy to find guns that have no sentimental value, pay Eastern for insurance. You can get something like $40-50K for $100 or so per year (I need to double check the policy cost).
Some good advice here. In the cheaper (read: "any Chinese-made") gun safe category, multiple smaller safes will take more total time and effort to open (and all gun safes really do is buy you time) than one large safe. They typically can be hidden better and if you are sneaky about it, you can even do a decoy that will be found and opened first with limited treasures inside (like a Taurus or Hi-point - very discouraging to thieves).

But the best money spent is still for adequate insurance. Even the best gun safes can be opened given enough time. 🤔

Hey guys,

Thanks!
How about a used safe? There are some excellent quality used ones on the market. Some dealers have used safes in their inventory. Check around and save some money.

Some good advice here. In the cheaper (read: "any Chinese-made") gun safe category, multiple smaller safes will take more total time and effort to open (and all gun safes really do is buy you time) than one large safe. They typically can be hidden better and if you are sneaky about it, you can even do a decoy that will be found and opened first with limited treasures inside (like a Taurus or Hi-point - very discouraging to thieves).

But the best money spent is still for adequate insurance. Even the best gun safes can be opened given enough time. 🤔
It is not so much about taking time to open.

Let's think about who breaks into a house:
- you have the random crackhead, or bored teenagers - neither of them will be ready to deal with a safe.
- the person that knows what you have. This person will be prepared to deal with it and cutting open a safe (video below) is very easy. This person will probably do some research as well and break in when you are on vacation. You need more than just a havy safe to keep the guns from being stolen.

I like to not complicate my life, a heavy safe complicates life.

1. Where to put it. Can it go upstairs or only downstairs? ... this presents an issue if your basement is very humid.

2. Who moves the safe in the house?

3. Moving to another house - who moves the safe out? Where do you place the safe in another house? Will it fit through the door? ... good luck paying to move it to another State, might as well gift the safe to someone and buy a new one.

4. You have all your stuff in one safe, which means moving guns in and out next to maybe some collectible guns.

Separating guns is just easier for me and if I move I don't need to stress about paying the value of a couple of guns to move the safe or having to call all my friends to break our backs.

View: https://youtu.be/F7k4q3b2q1o

Their is another video if guys cutting safes after a fire, can't find it now.

Last edited:
Yes I'm impressed with harbor freight so far, haven't a ton of stuff from there but their air compressors and predator inverter generators are solid.
They’re getting pretty good at ripping off Honda gx engines....

The security cabinet is on par with most anyone else's. In other words, it will keep the kids out as long as they don't find the key and that's about it. The safe would actually be ok, as it's a heavier gauge metal than the budget Winchester safes and the welds are as good (or just as bad really).

The real problem is their locks are absolute garbage and can be defeated or bypassed in seconds.

Hey guys,

Thanks!
i have one like that, they are fine and legal for child proof safe storage; can be pried open by an adult. i also have adt security on the house and never had a break in problem. cabelas in hudson has those type of strong boxes

It is not so much about taking time to open.

Let's think about who breaks into a house:
- you have the random crackhead, or bored teenagers - neither of them will be ready to deal with a safe.
- the person that knows what you have. This person will be prepared to deal with it and cutting open a safe (video below) is very easy. This person will probably do some research as well and break in when you are on vacation. You need more than just a heavy safe to keep the guns from being stolen.

I like to not complicate my life, a heavy safe complicates life.

1. Where to put it. Can it go upstairs or only downstairs? ... this presents an issue if your basement is very humid.

2. Who moves the safe in the house?

3. Moving to another house - who moves the safe out? Where do you place the safe in another house? Will it fit through the door? ... good luck paying to move it to another State, might as well gift the safe to someone and buy a new one.

4. You have all your stuff in one safe, which means moving guns in and out next to maybe some collectible guns.

Separating guns is just easier for me and if I move I don't need to stress about paying the value of a couple of guns to move the safe or having to call all my friends to break our backs.
All correct and especially important if you are anticipating having to move (I'm old, next move for me is to the undertaker). I can't even imagine having to move a monster heavyweight gun safe from one house or apartment to another... especially knowing that all that weight and trouble still won't stop a determined thief.

I have a super cheap HF safe. The 1.5 cu ft one. It’s been fine for at about 10 years at this point. Battery lasts for ever. I don’t use it for guns though because it would only hold a few handguns.
It has a key to bypass the lock.

My opinion, if you’re going to buy a super cheap Chinese safe with an e lock, be damn sure the key can bypass the lock that will eventually break.

I want mechanical locks for almost everything.

Also, go with multiple small to medium safes. Much easier to move and arrange in your house.

harbor freight may be cheap and easy but look at it like using Saran Wrap as a condom. It seems like a good idea and may work but you will more likely regret it eventually.
You say cheap and easy like it's a bad thing :(

If the guns are valuable in terms of money or sentiment, get a better safe

If you're simply complying with Mass law, and you aren't especially worried about them, Hazard Fraught safes are just fine.

As 42 mentioned, HF tools are "project tools", usually. Throw it away after the project is done.

I keep a mix of "proper" tools and some HF garbage.

Back
Top Bottom