• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Harbor freight ammo box

basscatfrank

NES Member
In case anyone is interested, Harbor Freight has these ammo boxes on sale for $4.99. You need the coupon that's in the sales flyer.

http://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-box-61451.html

61451_zzz_500.jpeg

ive got 4 of them also bought their same keyed padlock set at same time. work great for transporting stuff

They are fine as basic storage boxes. I have a couple and not a single one actually seals as you would expect given they have a gasket. Splash resitant yes, watertight no. Test them if water or humidity is a concern to you.

They are fine as basic storage boxes. I have a couple and not a single one actually seals as you would expect given they have a gasket. Splash resitant yes, watertight no. Test them if water or humidity is a concern to you.

I agree. They are fine for transporting ammo to the range, or storage, but I wouldn't rely on them to actually be water tight for burial, or storage in a damp basement, or something. I pick them up whenever they are on sale just because I like keeping calibers separated in different cans, so I never seem to have enough ammo cans! I always save those little desiccant packs that come with stuff and throw 1, or 2 into each can for good measure.[wink]

Also great for reloaders. Have a bunch of these inside my locking 4 drawer filing cabinet.

I love these cans. The only thing I don't like is that they're angled instead of straight like military ammo cans. Oh well, they're cheap!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Unless they improved the design recently, they are pure shit. I started an exact same thread a year ago: https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...all-places)?highlight=harbor+freight+ammo+box

I should have posted a follow-up but didn't. I bought 2 of them, they work as a container but don't expect a seal of any sort. I had to remove the gasket and add some RTV to make the seal larger and work and if there is any side pressure on it, the inside case falls off the lip of the lid. For an extra $2, I bought the plano and haven't looked back.

I have a few too. I use them to store my son's nerf gun ammo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they improved the design recently, they are pure shit. I started an exact same thread a year ago: https://www.northeastshooters.com/v...all-places)?highlight=harbor+freight+ammo+box

I should have posted a follow-up but didn't. I bought 2 of them, they work as a container but don't expect a seal of any sort. I had to remove the gasket and add some RTV to make the seal larger and work and if there is any side pressure on it, the inside case falls off the lip of the lid. For an extra $2, I bought the plano and haven't looked back.

Yes,a bunch of us bought the HF ones, after reading your post, which praised their quality and value.

Yes,a bunch of us bought the HF ones, after reading your post, which praised their quality and value.

After 3 months of storage, packet full of ammo sitting my closet, I noticed that the sides were collapsed in and the lid was no longer sitting on the gasket. I had to make the gasket larger to maintain the sealing area. Moral of story, don't pack them full.

Unless they improved the design recently, they are pure shit. ... I bought 2 of them, they work as a container but don't expect a seal of any sort. I had to remove the gasket and add some RTV to make the seal larger and work and if there is any side pressure on it, the inside case falls off the lip of the lid. ...

The place to inspect the seals is at the store,
as you pull each one off the shelf.

You could bring any or all of them back to the store.
Not sure whether they'll notice the RTV slathered all over the seal.
But even if they notice I suspect they won't care.

Glue some yak hairs in the sealer,
like might be left behind when touch-up has been applied by a worker
at the remedial station of an assembly line armed with
a 55 gallon drum of RTV and an artisanal brush.

The clerk will think they're factory fresh
(and marvel at how the boys at HQ have finally solved
that problem with gaps in the O-rings).

After 3 months of storage, packet full of ammo sitting my closet, I noticed that the sides were collapsed in and the lid was no longer sitting on the gasket. ...

Well, that sucks.

I just opened a box that had four other boxes stacked on top of it.
Straight as a ChiCom ruler.
But Mass CMRs require that the boxes be locked -
not that the sides have to be straight.

I've had good luck with these for storing ammo after reloading.

For those down on the quality.... come on guys this typical Harbor Freight stuff... you know the deal. If you're looking for quality, precision, or long life....keep looking.

Back
Top Bottom