Happy with my !911

I bought my first 1911 back in May. Its a Remington R1 E. I am still very happy with it, and take it to the range every time I go. I have maybe 200 rds though it. I only get to the range a couple times month. I have had a couple stovepipes so far.
I would just like to ask you 1911 guys, if this is normal for break in time, etc? Thanks for any advice.[grin]

That gun should run 100% right out of the box. But, again, it's a 1911 and they can be a little finicky.

Do you know how to check the shape, and tension of the extractor?

I am just using factory ammo. I do not know how to check the extractor tension. It may just be the way I handle, or shoot the gun. Thanks guys, I have something to go on now that may help.

Try different magazines. Wilson Combats can be expensive, but worth the cost!

Also, what 45Collector said about the extractor. Sometime's it's improperly shaped or has a burr. There are videos on line that detail what to look for.

Thanks Machete, I will take a close look at it, and look for U tube vids. They have been a help to me in the past. Mainly in my new firearms research, and putting my 22/45 MK3 back together so it works!!!

I own an R1 and a R1 Enhanced. I think for the money they are sweet 1911's. I like them enough that one or both always go to the range with me every week. I've yet to encounter any issue with either of them with 1000+ rounds of factory hard ball but did experience a few failures to feed with my 185 SWC reloads. The 230 gr lead RN reloads were fine. With all the crying I do wanting a Les Baer or Ed Brown, I doubt I'd enjoy them any more than these Remingtons. I use Chip McCormick magazines in these and all my 1911's with excellent results. And I use the regular mags, not the ones with the skirted followers. We discussed break in a couple weeks ago, I'm of the school that they should function out of the box. Function and "break in" are two different things to me.

You can check the extractor tension by putting a case under the extractor on the breechface and seeing if it holds tight
Thank You Supermoto. To answer your previous question, yes, it does extract consistently. I have read that the Remington mags have a bad rep. The ones that came with my gun look like Met Gar mags, but do have an R on the floorplate. I do have one Chip McCormick mag that I got at HTP a month ago, that I have not tried yet. I will take it to the range next time I go, and give everyone a heads up on how it performed. Thanks to all that have commented.

I've nver had problems with my R1 and factory ammo however I have put a red dot on it and am using it for NRA Bullseye using my reloads. With the reloads I was getting stovepipes and failures to feed. I switched to a reduced power recoil spring and Chip McCormick mags. I have both Match grade and standard shooting stars. I get no misfeeds with these. The reduced power recoil spring may also be responsible for stopping the stovepipes.

2 other comments : 100 rounds is not "Broken in". I'd consider 300-500 "broken in". Also try another brand of ammunition. The cartridges rims and extractor grooves are not standard. If another brand works then you have an issue with the extractor (which should work with any factory 45 ACP ammo)

A mag really should not cause a stove pipe, even on the last round.

I was able to get the range this morning. I shot about 30 rounds with my 1911. No problems at all. I used my McCormick mag for the first time. Worked great! I think I handled the gun better too. I was pretty happy with my shooting today.

I was able to get the range this morning. I shot about 30 rounds with my 1911. No problems at all. I used my McCormick mag for the first time. Worked great! I think I handled the gun better too. I was pretty happy with my shooting today.
McCormick mags are the only ones that run truly well in my R1. Enjoy!

had the same issue with my ruger 1911- tried different mags- different springs- extractor -etc finally ended up sending it back to them -they just put a whole new slide on it- never had an issue since

Most people like Wilsons. Mine has given me trouble here and there. The Chip runs 100%. It's a 1911 - they're temperamental [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom