• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Happy National Airborne Day!

I remember the instructor in jump school showing us the different parachutes, the MC1-1B, etc., he gets the the reserve 'chute, and I quote "This ladies is your reserve parachute, if your main canopy fails to deploy, you have the rest of your Airborne lives to deploy this one."

AATW!

307th Eng Battalion, 82nd Airborne

-chris

I remember the instructor in jump school showing us the different parachutes, the MC1-1B, etc., he gets the the reserve 'chute, and I quote "This ladies is your reserve parachute, if your main canopy fails to deploy, you have the rest of your Airborne lives to deploy this one."

AATW!

307th Eng Battalion, 82nd Airborne

-chris
And this one…”the sky, even more than the sea, is an unforgiving bitch.”

Really interesting account by a Fallschirmjager who fought against Americans in Italy. While in Germany mid 80’s, spoke extensively with a WWII Fallschirmjager. After experience jumping into Crete (where his platoon suffered 90% casulties in eight hours), Russia and Africa, he was captured in the Italian Alps, after fighting Paratroopers and 10th Mountain.

Asked him about American strengths and weaknesses. “Your artillery was astonishing. The Brits would not advance closer than a few hundred meters behind the barrage.”

”The first I knew the American barrage was over was when I looked up to see an American Sergeant pointing a Tommie gun at me and yelling ‘Hande hoch!’ But I could not hear anything.” He estimated Americans advanced as little as 50 meters behind a creeping barrage.

View: https://youtu.be/FNf7ufwPowg

Back
Top Bottom