• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Happy Monday who want's a burger?

boycott boycott boycott!

i was open carrying in a bank this weekend. the horror. had anyone said anything i would have immediately entered boycott mode and withdrawn every penny i have in all my accounts! [laugh]

It stands to reason that not everyone can read and even if you can read, not everyone is paying attention to signs as they walk into a business and even if they are, it's possible to miss seeing one.

So it doesn't seem reasonable to think you've committed a crime simply by walking INTO an establishment that bans open carry (Under the new Texas law).

It does seem reasonable to think that if you do AND they ask you to leave, if you you don't comply, NOW you're committing a crime.

So the proper response, rather than 1) boycotting or 2) disobeying, would be to walk in and order a burger while open carrying. If you're told to leave, then leave. If you're not told to leave, enjoy your burger.

Do this every time you pass one of their restaurants.

Either they notice how much business they're turning away or you get fat, while calmly asserting your rights.

If they notice, they either change their policy, tell their employees to ignore the policy or they accept their loss and all of those options are their right to exercise.

But only if it's a place that you'd go to in the first place. I've eaten as Whattaburger before. I won't again when I'm down where they operated, but that's only once or twice a year. Now, if every gun owner in Texas boycotted them, that would be effective. They won't, because while a lot of people own guns in Texas, not all of them carry and as of yet no one can open carry.

It's like liberals boycotts of Walmart. They don't shop there in the first place, so it won't hurt Walmart because the people who do shop there don't care about the things liberals think are important. Or Hobby Lobby, for that matter. Or Chik Fil A. None of them are hurt by liberal "boycotts" because their target demographics mostly agree with them on social issues.

Boycotts are a great way to hurt a company that try's to enforce stupid rules you don't like.

Texas law is quite clear and specific for how and where the signs are posted, and what they have to say. 30:06, which is part of the criminal trespass law, states that the signs have to be conspicuously posted at all entrances open to the public, the lettering has to be a minimum of 1 inch high, the sign has to have contrasting lettering so it stands out. Oh, and it has to be posted in both English and Spanish. If I can get over to Dell Diamond today, I"ll snap a picture of what a legal 30:06 sign looks like. So far on this trip, it's the only one I've seen.

30:07 is the new section of law specifying what an open carry sign has to look like. I seem to remember that it's very similar as to format, lettering, posting, etc...

Take a look at Texas3006.com for information on what the law requires. They maintain a database of places that comply with the law and places that don't. Far more don't comply than do.

It stands to reason that not everyone can read and even if you can read, not everyone is paying attention to signs as they walk into a business and even if they are, it's possible to miss seeing one.

So it doesn't seem reasonable to think you've committed a crime simply by walking INTO an establishment that bans open carry (Under the new Texas law).

Yaah, I spent 6 months down there and the only place I saw actual correct signage was the nuke plant and the hospital. Some other places (Wal-mart, bank, a couple food places) had non binding "No Illegal weapons allowed" signs with differing wording. But as a note they don't have to ask you to leave if they post correctly, its an offense simply to be there with a gun if they put up the right sign as laid out by the law.

Boycotts are a great way to hurt a company that try's to enforce stupid rules you don't like.

I_see_what_you_did_there.jpg

OC'd at Wal-Mart last night in Amherst, NH even with a non-res. Kinda takes away the MA-engrained fear of exposure. I ended up having a great conversation w the cashier. An older woman who loves to go to the range. No, guys, she was not a cougar. She was the sweet old granny-type.

Places that sell alcohol as a sideline have to post a specific sign. I've read the signs and they essentially say you can't illegally carry a concealed weapon on the premises, but if you have a CHL, it's OK. Which is different than the 51% signs, which are red in color with black printing. I've only seen one of those.

I did get back to Dell Diamond, but apparently they only post those signs on days when they are open to the public, which they weren't today. We went to a Simon operated mall that had the standard Simon rules of conduct, which includes "no weapons". Not binding and I wonder what they will do when OC is legal?

Yaah, I spent 6 months down there and the only place I saw actual correct signage was the nuke plant and the hospital. Some other places (Wal-mart, bank, a couple food places) had non binding "No Illegal weapons allowed" signs with differing wording. But as a note they don't have to ask you to leave if they post correctly, its an offense simply to be there with a gun if they put up the right sign as laid out by the law.

Whatabuger makes a great spicy ketchup, got some in the fridge. I have some friends from down south send it to me. :)

If I'm not mistaken Whataburger is slatted to open at the Kingston Independance mall.

Back
Top Bottom