Happy Memorial Day to our Vets everywhere and fellow NESers !

1919FAN

NES Member
To our Vets Thank You for your service that protects us and our rights that we dearly love. To fellow NESers I wish all a great weekend with family and friends ,cookouts,parades,rangetime and a cold one[cheers]

Sir or Ma'am,

I remind you that Memorial Day is not Veterans Day nor a reason to have a cookout. Memorial Day is an occasion to remember the sacrifice of those servicemembers who made the ultimate sacrifice in order to preserve our liberty.

This post is not meant as an admonishment; rather, it is meant to inform those who would use this day as an event to buy a new flat screen television or have friends over for a few grilled brats of the purpose of the commemoration.

As a Veteran, I am grateful for your support...please offer it when/where appropriate.

Regards,

- P -

a8a3c6b26e50f61c07f8a1b72470171d.jpg

Sir or Ma'am,

I remind you that Memorial Day is not Veterans Day nor a reason to have a cookout. Memorial Day is an occasion to remember the sacrifice of those servicemembers who made the ultimate sacrifice in order to preserve our liberty.

This post is not meant as an admonishment; rather, it is meant to inform those who would use this day as an event to buy a new flat screen television or have friends over for a few grilled brats of the purpose of the commemoration.

As a Veteran, I am grateful for your support...please offer it when/where appropriate.

Regards,

- P -

Nicely stated.

1919FAN, I know your intentions are wonderful and honorable.

Sir or Ma'am,

Regards,

- P -

Extremely well done Sir!

I'll be remembering along with our Town officials and the few that understand the real meaning at our local cemetery and various war memorials tomorrow.

^^^^ This, it says it all!

Thank you vets, will say a prayer for you this weekend.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Image18.jpg
    Image18.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 449
  • Image15.jpg
    Image15.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 453
  • Image36.jpg
    Image36.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 448
  • Image41.jpg
    Image41.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 451
Sir or Ma'am,

Regards,

- P -

Well said.

Op......veterans for the most part are humble. We take no credit that is not due and always reference our fellow service members when credit is being given.

Memorial day is about the fallen. It is not about us...... that were lucky enough to make it home.

My new boss asked me what my plans were for the holiday weekend. I graciously told her for me it is not so much a holiday as much as it is a remembrance and ill be at the cemetery in town placing flags Saturday and at the ceremony on Monday.

That is all.

Last edited:
We owe our freedom and independence to our fallen soldiers!

And thank YOU to all the Veterans! Thank you for coming back and preserving the memory of these who didn't.
As an IDF veteran, I'm proud of Israel for having Memorial Day one day before Independence Day. Can't have one without the other! Never forget!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A solemn Blessing for those to whom I owe my life, my loved ones and my Liberty having borne the brunt of battle for me and mine. Thank you...

we will be honoring those we lost, hosting a cook out with fellow veterans and families.

on Monday, we will attend our local flag ceremonies for the older generation (fallen).

it's a day of mourning, but it doesn't mean we should all be miserable and crying it out. it's a day to remember the past fallen, no matter how long or recent ago.

drink a beer and toast to all... that's how we roll.

Yesterday my son and I were with the cub scouts and some other local kids helping to put veterans markers and flags at the final resting place of those who gave all. This morning was the parade and a ceremony at the cemetery, and then at the town hall. I'm very fortunate, my town has a very active veterans council who make sure nobody is forgotten.
17bddfd1ed12fe16bddbf078626e88e9.jpg
c8345e125103211e0a65281157447d1a.jpg
5d0cf5dbdc3008fbed3ec69498f50cc7.jpg
db3dafecd20ebd45ee73eafe6602f140.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I plan on locking myself in the basement and crying all day.

Oh Boy....[slap]

- - - Updated - - -

Sir or Ma'am,

Regards,

- P -

As it should be.....

This weekend, please take time to honor those who have paid the ultimate sacrifice in defense of our great country.
Take time to really think about the sacrifices that were made.
To those I saw die in combat and to the ones whom have taken their own lives, and to the families: I promise you, I will not forget you. I will do my best to honor your sacrifice, I will remember.
Really take time to think.

To all who serve and have served my family and I are very thankful. For all those who have made the ultimate sacrafice upon the alter of freedom you are NOT forgotten and are routinely in our prayers. To family members of American Soldiers, Airmen, Sailors, Marines, Cost Guard and DoD thank you. Your support makes it or breaks it for them so continue doing all that you do cause it does make a diffrence.

To all those Men,and Women who have paid the ultimate price for our Freedom,and our rights.Thank you GOD BLESS.[iwojima]

I wasn't going to add this, but perhaps you should step back and try to look at people's responses more objectively.

The "perennial party poopers" you're "merely having fun with" are, in many cases, guys who saw their buddies get blown into oblivion right beside them and, in the process, barely survived themselves. Speaking for myself, I can tell you that cleaning a fallen soldier's grey matter off his equipment before returning it to the XO is not fodder for sarcastic comments by men who chose not to serve. Under those circumstances, you SHOULD be able to understand why making their grief into a joke might have aroused the response it did.

Now you're doubling down, and I for one am not sure why.

Again, I'm only speaking for myself, but in my view the one who is "shitting up the thread" is you. Let Veterans have their grief, and express it in their own way without your cynical commentary. It's the least you owe them.

As some folks have said, Memorial Day is a day of remembrance for some. As a Vet, choose to observe it as you wish. I personally enjoy cookouts and being around my new family. Its a reminder of why I served and could of missed out on if I did not come home. Some years I have done the parade, others plant flags, sometimes Mass, but each to their own. That is what makes this country worth fighting for.

Memorial Day was originally created to remember the 620,000 dead of the Civil War. That is its original meaning though we also remember the dead of all subsequent wars.

There was no "Happy" in the Civil War, an enormous disaster for this country.

An interesting point, what the US calls Veterans Day the rest of the world calls Remembrance Day. It signifies the end of WW1 on the 11th day of the 11th month on the 11th hour. In Canada, where I'm from, it is considered a somber day, where we wear red poppies in remembrance of those lost in war and as a nation we bow our heads for a moment of silence as 'The Last Post' is played on bugles.

I have met very few Americans that know the date's original significance and certainly judging by this thread it's apparent the meaning has been lost as well.

What was the significance of Memorial Day? In the British commonwealth it comes close to Queen Victoria's birthday and sometimes falls on it, but that can't be the reason it's celebrated in the US.

EDIT: Just read that it's in remembrance of those lost in the Civil War. Certainly America lost more men in that war then any other including WW1. So I can see why it's more significant.

Last edited:
Mauro Palmerie, US Army, KIA/MIA, France, World War One.
I have not forgotten your sacrifice!

With love, your brothers grandson
Pete

Last edited:
Yesterday my son and I were with the cub scouts and some other local kids helping to put veterans markers and flags at the final resting place of those who gave all. This morning was the parade and a ceremony at the cemetery, and then at the town hall. I'm very fortunate, my town has a very active veterans council who make sure nobody is forgotten.
17bddfd1ed12fe16bddbf078626e88e9.jpg
c8345e125103211e0a65281157447d1a.jpg
5d0cf5dbdc3008fbed3ec69498f50cc7.jpg
db3dafecd20ebd45ee73eafe6602f140.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Nice work out there!! Did the same with my daughter and her Daisy troop early this am.

Good a place as any to put this;

"Lest I keep my complacent way I must remember somewhere out there a person died for me today. As long as there must be war, I ask and I must answer-was I worth dying for?"

Eleanor Roosevelt

I place the flags on 8 graves of my forefathers that served. I do this before the Memorial day weekend and insure the graves are well tended.

A number of years ago I spotted a single marble Vets grave stone well away from the veterans groupings. I stopped since it was fallen over and not standing. I read the inscription and it was for a USMC Marine that passed in 1918. He was alone and untended.

I had an extra flag and placed it beside the headstone, appropriately spaced, one foot width to the right.

A week or so later while tending veterans graves, I noticed a Marine Corps flag on the other side of his grave.

Another week or so went by and there were planted flowers at that grave.

Sometime later, the head stone was reset upright.

His grave was well tended by a number of people. Nobody knew him, we just did the right thing for a fallen 1918 Marine.

This year there was only my US flag placed at his grave.

Next year I will have to get a USMC flag, some plants and water them through the dry times.

I will miss my brothers that tended his grave as well as him.

Back
Top Bottom