• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Happy Birthday Simo Häyhä

Why was his face like that? Did he get shot in the face, or did he have a stroke?

With an explosive round with that.

Interesting his engagement distances were kind of up close and personal for a sniper...100 to 166 yards.
Iron sights! That was his preference and probably the wise choice under those conditions.

Any Green Members reading this thread are welcome here if you have or can borrow an iron sight military issue rifle (or close facsimile thereof). Fabulous (LOL) prizes involved and bragging rights. Not 'green'? Sorry- go green first. I do this for winter fun and to support NES.

Winter Warrior 2022-2023 Postal Match for Iron Sight Military Rifles

Why was his face like that? Did he get shot in the face, or did he have a stroke?
Hell of a story, wikipedia is worth a read:

Injury

Häyhä after being promoted to second lieutenant in 1940. He was disfigured after being shot in the face by a Red Army soldier earlier that year
On 6 March 1940, Häyhä was severely wounded after an explosive bullet fired by a Red Army soldier hit his lower left jaw.[27] After the battle, as he appeared to be dead, he was placed on a pile of dead bodies. A fellow soldier, under orders from his commanding officer, searched for Häyhä, noticed a leg twitching among the pile and found Häyhä alive, although unconscious.[12] He was evacuated by fellow soldiers who said that "half his face was missing". The bullet had removed his upper jaw, most of his lower jaw, and most of his left cheek.[12]

Rumours of Häyhä's death spread around in Finland and the Soviet Union. He regained consciousness a week later on 13 March, the day that peace was declared. He read about his own death in a newspaper, and sent a letter to the paper to correct the misunderstanding.[10] He spent 14 months recovering from his wounds and endured 26 surgeries.[12]

Häyhä wished to serve in the Continuation War (1941–1944). However, he was excused due to the severity of his facial injuries, from which he was still recovering

Too bad he couldn't take out Stalin and his boy Beria at some point in his career. Tyrannical murderers like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Xi, Kim, and others should have been eliminated by responsible governments before they become too powerful. It's not so simple, I'm sure, but it would save the world a lot of killing.

Although the fascists are not angels, I think the communists are far ahead in the body count. And now the left in this country is ascendant. Scary.

Too bad he couldn't take out Stalin and his boy Beria at some point in his career. Tyrannical murderers like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Xi, Kim, and others should have been eliminated by responsible governments before they become too powerful. It's not so simple, I'm sure, but it would save the world a lot of killing.

Although the fascists are not angels, I think the communists are far ahead in the body count. And now the left in this country is ascendant. Scary.
Little Puty must be looking over his shoulder these days. Total miscalculation on the invasion of the Ukraine and the West is upping the ante with British longer range rockets and now Dementia Joe has greenlighted training Ukrainian Pilots to fly f-16's. Putin knows his life depends on victory in the Ukraine and it ain't looking good with the Ukrainian Counter offensive about to start.

Back
Top Bottom