Happy Birthday Coast Guard!

FPrice

Retired Zoomie
NES Life Member
NES Member
August 4, 1790

The United States Coast Guard celebrates its 231st birthday today. The Coast Guard was created on August 4, 1790, when the first Congress authorized Secretary of Treasury Alexander Hamilton to construct ten vessels, known as “revenue cutters,” to combat smuggling and enforce tariff laws.

1628100396767.png

Happy birthday Coasties!
My cousin is a retired USCG Chief Surfman and coincidentally his birthday is also today.

Not a lot of people know that on September 27, 1942 the Coasties saved Chesty Puller (and a good portion of 1st Bn. 7th Marines) on Guadalcanal during operations near the Matanikau River.
During that action, USCG Signalman 1st Class Douglas Munro earned the MOH posthumously.

Semper Fidelis!

Last edited:
I was a coast guard kid. Woods hole and Nantucket. This was the 80s. I remember going out and they would take from lobster traps. But I got to meet Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Happy birthday coasties

Just happened to find this on the American Legion website.

The hidden depths of Coast Guard trivia​

Aug. 4 is the birthday of the Coast Guard, founded in 1790 with congressional authorization to build the first set of vessels aimed to help combat smuggling and enforce tariffs and taxes. Here are some things you might not know about the service branch that operates under the Department of Homeland Security.

The Marine Corps was born in 1775, so the Marines had been active for 15 years before the birth of the Coast Guard.
And were disbanded after the war. Your point?

The USCG is heading out when everyone else is heading in. Happy Birthday.

Wasn't there a CG Cutter out there?
USCGC Tamaroa. A lot of sailors claim the crew of Satori panicked and could have ridden the storm out.

Tamaroa rescued the ARNG crew from the downed Blackhawk.

Lived in Marblehead during that storm, which put 60 boats on the beach.

City of Gloucester celebrated the CG station on Friday as part of there 400th anniversary of Gloucester.

Here I am with my old OIC. Jim was like a dad to me.

Screenshot_2023-08-19-13-29-10-43_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Yes, I wore a tye dyed polo and grateful dead shorts. Here's a bunch of old f***s, the future D1 CMC (who worked for me when he was a seaman) and a politician

FB_IMG_1692392454862.jpg

Back
Top Bottom