Hanging up the uniform

Well, that’s that. 21 years on Active Duty, and as of today I’m on the retired rolls. Coast Guard is now paying me not to Coast Guard anymore. First page of a new chapter for me. Motor Lifeboat engineers are breathing a collective sigh of relief that there’s one less Surfman on active duty to teach the next generation to run 47’s like they slapped your sister. Clutch ahead full ahead!

Well, that’s that. 21 years on Active Duty, and as of today I’m on the retired rolls. Coast Guard is now paying me not to Coast Guard anymore. First page of a new chapter for me. Motor Lifeboat engineers are breathing a collective sigh of relief that there’s one less Surfman on active duty to teach the next generation to run 47’s like they slapped your sister. Clutch ahead full ahead!

Congrats! Did you slap some FNG's around before you left to make sure they get it right? [smile]

Congratulations you made it and choose your health care provider carefully. Seems half my family is C G. My grandson is station at Chatham but he needs a boat desperately, his father my son in law retired Chief with 26 years and his mother served CG. Of course the wife and I are retired Air Force.

Terminal leave - the Best Benefit no one tells you about!

I had 80 days: started working the week got home, so double pay!
COVID has blurred the lines between leave and just not going in when you don’t need to and running around taking care of all the retirement stuff, so I’m not even sure how much terminal I technically took. Was able to sell back 60 and just stop by the unit when I needed to get on the computer. Last six months I’ve actually worn a uniform maybe a half dozen times.

COVID has blurred the lines between leave and just not going in when you don’t need to and running around taking care of all the retirement stuff, so I’m not even sure how much terminal I technically took. Was able to sell back 60 and just stop by the unit when I needed to get on the computer. Last six months I’ve actually worn a uniform maybe a half dozen times.

I had already sold 60 days in my career and couldn't sell any more. I actually had to change my leave form due to covid. I had planned on taking our summer block leave, but the beer flu happened. I ended up taking 79 days of leave and 20 days of PTDY for 99 charged days. the best part about it is I was supposed to sign out on Monday, but installation only did final outs for retirees on Thursdays. By Thursday afternoon I was in a different state after changing in the parking lot. Four free days for a total of 103.

Back
Top Bottom