• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hands down best .22 pistol?

To the OP: what's your budget?
BEST .22 pistol? It's going to be something made in Europe and will set you back $1500++
Best .22 pistol for shooting steel plates and general range plinking? I'd find a used Ruger MKII Target for around $350.

There are a lot of choices in between those two extremes. I've just bought an old S&W 46 that I am in love with.
Image.jpg

To the OP: what's your budget?
BEST .22 pistol? It's going to be something made in Europe and will set you back $1500++
Best .22 pistol for shooting steel plates and general range plinking? I'd find a used Ruger MKII Target for around $350.

There are a lot of choices in between those two extremes. I've just bought an old S&W 46 that I am in love with.
View attachment 106898

those are nice also...... as for you guys that are cleaning your 22 barrels...hmmm how dirty do they get?

+1 for the MkIII. I have a Hunter 6&7/8 that I bought used, which is remarkably reliable (tho, truth be told it required a Volquartsen treatment to be 100%.)
After the VQ bolt upgrade (extractor and firing pin) it has never had a FTF, FTE, or failure of any kind. The VQ trigger upgrade is worth it for competition, especially if you include the Mag Disconnect delete (MkII bushing in a MkIII)

That's all I use is a bore snake.

This. Excessive cleaning of a 10/22 barrel IMO actually hurts accuracy, especially in target barrels.

As for my Mk2, I've probably put 2,000 rds through it and have never taken it apart. A lil' CLP on the bolt now and then and a bore snake for the barrel.

those are nice also...... as for you guys that are cleaning your 22 barrels...hmmm how dirty do they get?

I don't think the barrels get all that dirty on my MKIII Hunter or 10/22 with GM bull barrel. It's the frame/receiver/bolt that get pretty rotten after a while. All I shoot through them is CCI SV and Eley SV lead nose rounds. I just gun scrubber to blast out the frame of my MKIII and lube it with some Hornady one shot or Rem Oil. Scrub the bolts with CLP or M-pro7. But the barrels just get a boresnake with CLP.

I'm old and tired and grouchy, so I'm only going to say this once.
Any of you drama queens who can't figure out how to strip and reassemble a Ruger MK pistol should quit your whining and take up golf.
The "secret" is learning where the hammer needs to be at each step, and how to get it there. Nothing else....
It is one moving part for crying out loud.

Jack

Any of you drama queens who can't figure out how to strip and reassemble a Ruger MK pistol should quit your whining and take up golf.
The "secret" is learning where the hammer needs to be at each step, and how to get it there. Nothing else....

Jack

thats funny a old grouchy pistol shooter at my club said the same thing basically.
When I asked him about tearing down my mkIII he asked with a southern draw "Is it broken or something" he then showed me how to clean it.
remove the grips and his words "them shitty plastic sights" sprayed it down with gun scrubber and clp

Last edited:
Lol. I chose to own guns that I dont need special tools or have to know secrets to put it back together, or drill holes in the back of the receiver to clean barrels. That doesn't make my choices better or worse than anyone elses- just different.

What is your opinuon of mag loading tools? ;)

Jack

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

The MK I never gets any love...

The MK 1 is a pain in the ass. No last round hold open, so you have to count, or let the firing pin slam into the edge of the chamber once per mag.

Also, the loading button on the mags is on the opposite side. So if you have other MKs you can't swap mags easily. Ruger MK II /III mags can be reversed but it takes a couple of minutes each.

Jack

Amen.
disassembly
Hammer down
remove mainspring
remove bolt.
slide upper off lower
Done

reassembly
hammer back while tilting barrel up at 45 deg angle. ( If you don't do that, the strut may catch on a cross piece on a MK, not a problem on 22/45)
slide upper onto lower
insert bolt
Hammer down - while pulling trigger tilt the barrel straight down. hammer will fall on its own.
Tilt gun up at 45 deg to get hammer strut to hang at correct angle
Insert mainspring housing and secure.
Done

Troubleshooting
If you can't get mainspring housing to close, then the hammer is not down. Pull the trigger with the housing applying pressure and it will go down
If bolt won't retract, the hammer strut is stuck on the little cross piece in the grip of the Mk series gun. Pull trigger so hammer falls forward then try again.

See, simple. not really. But certainly not rocket science.

Last edited:
The MK 1 is a pain in the ass. No last round hold open, so you have to count, or let the firing pin slam into the edge of the chamber once per mag.

Also, the loading button on the mags is on the opposite side. So if you have other MKs you can't swap mags easily. Ruger MK II /III mags can be reversed but it takes a couple of minutes each.

Amen.
disassembly
Hammer down
remove mainspring
remove bolt.
slide upper off lower
Done

reassembly
hammer back while tilting barrel up at 45 deg angle. ( If you don't do that, the strut may catch on a cross piece on a MK, not a problem on 22/45)
slide upper onto lower
insert bolt
Hammer down - while pulling trigger tilt the barrel straight down. hammer will fall on its own.
Tilt gun up at 45 deg to get hammer strut to hang at correct angle
Insert mainspring housing and secure.
Done

Troubleshooting
If you can't get mainspring housing to close, then the hammer is not down. Pull the trigger with the housing applying pressure and it will go down
If bolt won't retract, the hammer strut is stuck on the little cross piece in the grip of the Mk series gun. Pull trigger so hammer falls forward then try again.

See, simple. not really. But certainly not rocket science.

It is simple, I did learn how to do it myself. The key is in the way you hold it and tilt it. I only have had mine apart 4 times 5 years.

Walther SP22, eats any ammo I give it, even Thunderbolt !!!
Good target gun, but you do need a hex wrench, included, to disassemble it.
And it's kind of futuristic looking.

Back
Top Bottom