• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hands down best .22 pistol?

I would start with the SR22 it's a great little gun,If your going to get into comp shooting then I would get MK II-III, or S&W 41.

The Ruger 22 is extremely popular at the local steel matches and is used very successfully by some of the top shooters.

I forgot about the buckmark. The funny thing is that I own one. Its a great little gun. I got it to do pistol classes with, but its better than that. The trigger is acceptable out of the box, the grip angle and controls are more like a "real gun" than the Ruger. It deserves your consideration.

What's the difference?

S&W 41 for me...

If you want to target shooter, buy a target pistol. The SR22 is NOT a target pistol. The Mark II/III-22/45 IS a target pistol. I dont understand why people say the SR22 is a lot more fun to shoot. I think hitting what you are shooting at is fun. I have both Mark pistols, and have shot the SR22. The Mark pistols are the way to go. You can mount an optic, magazines are half the cost, there are aftermarket parts available to make it any way you want.

Revolver: S&W Model 17 with a 6" barrel, target sights and trigger.

Semi Auto: High Standard Citation.

Best ones are from the 1960's and 1970's.

I've taught lots of kids to shoot steel with a Ruger 22/45 and a couple of Ruger Mark IIIs. The 22/45 suits me because of the 1911 grip ergonomics. The Mark IIIs are equally accurate and reliable. On days where we shoot a lot, I find I have to run a boresnake down the barrel every 600 rounds or so to keep things running smoothly.

The 22/45 was the first .22 pistol I bought, back when they first came out, as a practice companion to my 1911. It has digested many thousands of rounds without issue. For personal use, I've never felt the need for another .22 pistol. I use the 2 Mark IIIs when coaching shooting teams, so I can have 3 people shooting .22 at once. While the Mark IIIs are just as good as the 22/45, the 22/45 is the one I use personally.

I did upgrade to the Volqhartson extractor, and that worked well for me. I believe any .22 will "gunk up" after hundreds of rounds, so I keep a boresnake handy for long range sessions. With the Volqhartson extractor, I could shoot longer between cleanings. In hindsight, I suspect when the factory extractor began to struggle, it was probably time to snake the barrel anyway. This issue only arises when we shoot more than 500 rounds in a range session. We used to go through thousands at a team practice, hence the need to snake the bores occasionally.

So I recommend the Rugers highly. The choice between 22/45 or Mark III depends on the grip angle you want, and how it compares to your other gun(s). I got my 22/45 without a bull barrel, so smaller/weaker shooters would have less weight to manage. The Mark IIIs I use have the bull barrel, and the weight hasn't ever been an issue with healthy shooters who weigh over 100 lbs. I don't see any real-world advantage or disadvantage to the bull barrel.

Coach,

I don't see any benefit to the bulls either. Except that its unfortunately now about the only way to get a longer barrel. The tapered 6 7/8 inch barrel is no longer made.

They do make a Standard version with a tapered barrel and fixed sights with a 6" barrel. If I were buying something new today to teach marksmanship, it would probably be the 6" standard. I've got a set of Millet target sights for the Mk II sitting in a box. I'd bet the rear would work fine.

One other thing. This gun is CHEAP. Its MSRP is $389 with a street price of about $310. In comparison, the hunter is $679 MSRP.

The 6" standard is here: http://www.ruger.com/products/markIIIStandard/models.html

Last edited:
I have a MKIII and an SR22 they are both fun guns to shoot. The MKIII is easier to be accurate with due to the longer barrel. I bought the SR22 to teach my wife to shoot. It is a lot lighter and easier to handle.

I like my SR22, but it does not shoot all ammo. Lately I have been having problems with the Winchester X.
I also have a few boxes of Winchester 333. Not sure if they are X, but will try them.

I like my SR22, but it does not shoot all ammo. Lately I have been having problems with the Winchester X.
I also have a few boxes of Winchester 333. Not sure if they are X, but will try them.

The Winchester X is junk now. I have had all kinds of issues with it, Duds, loads seem to be all over the place from the sound of them. The last box of 100 had 9 duds in it. Lately the CCI and Remington and Winchester M22 see to be the best. The federal has not been great either. The dud bucket at the range is full of Winchester 22 duds.

I never had any problems with the CCI
I am just hoping that the boxes of Winchester 333 are better than the X.

- - - Updated - - -

Also to the OP, the SR22 is very easy to take down and clean. I have heard horror stories about the Target Pistols

Also to the OP, the SR22 is very easy to take down and clean. I have heard horror stories about the Target Pistols

The Ruger Mark III reassembly procedure requires reading and following the directions. It's not hard, but you do need the instructions. The target guns can be very tight at first, but they get easier after a few cleanings. Also, really cleaning the guts of any Mark III requires a parts washer or a spray can of cleaner with a straw to direct the stream. 1911-style guns are definitely easier to disassemble, reassemble and clean. The Mark III design is inherently more accurate, IMHO, since the barrel doesn't move.

I don't think the OP will go wrong with either choice.

I have 5 .22 pistols...
Ruger MKIII bull barrel stainless
Browning 1911-22
Beretta Model 87
Beretta model 21
Some little Italian piece of shit .22 long that jams every single round. LOL

From top to bottom are the order of accuracy. All of them besides the Italian SNS have excellent reliability with any type of ammo. (though the Beretta 21 likes the hotter stuff like mini mags.)

Fixed it for you.

-Mike

Its no big deal once you get the hang of it. The big hassle with the Mk III style guns is you have to put the mag in and out and in and out to get it together. Replace the mag safety and it all goes away. Replacing the mag safety also improves the trigger pull and allows the mags to drop free. In all, about the best $12 you could ever spend.

And you need high velocity ammo for it too. I don't think there's any ammo a Ruger handgun won't eat.

I fired Winchester white box , federal bulk . Cci mini mags and some cci that's a lower velocity but not that crazy primer only stuff you got out of it. The only problems I had was duds with federal and messed up bullets from the wwb . I've had less problems with my gsg kit then my brothers sr22 lol . Best part when you want to put your big boy pants on you got a .45.

That said I want the 22/45 gun with a nice custom receiver/barrel etc . I liked shooting my friends over your bull barrel one cause of the grip. I think he had the light weight one . Lucky nh bastard .

I threw it out cause its around 200$ and was a tack driver out of the box. Gsg a big company so thell be around for some time .

Last edited:
I like my SR22 and have found only one brand of ammo it did not like. I have not shot the other models you are looking at but, I can tell you that every time I take it to the range there is someone with one of the other models you are looking at that wanted to buy the Ruger but was not in stock. So they bought XXX instead.

I have no regrets purchasing the Ruger.

Back
Top Bottom