• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hands down best .22 pistol?

Looking for a pistol with a decent trigger, reliability, able to gobble most any ammo using factory magazines. It will be used for steel plate comps and general plinking. I'm leaning towards the M&P 22, RUger SR22, Walther. Any other suggestions? Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Go classic: Colt Woodsman.

BTTH_01.jpg

marilynmonroe99776.jpg

M&P 22 or SR22 are both inferior to the Mk III or 22/45 for what you have described you want to do. Shoot steel.

For shooting steel you want a tune-able, reasonably light, short, fast trigger. So while I'd not say that what I'm about to show is "the best", its a far sight better than what you could do with any low end da/sa style gun. A CZ75 in .22 might be another story, but that hasn't been brought up.

This is my Mk II. I got it for my 18th birthday, back in late 80s. Its a 6 7/8 "Government" bull barrel gun with a japanese dot sight from the same era. It still works great. This gun has an early 90s Volqhartson trigger kit in it that includes a wide trigger, sear, and hammer. It is awesome on steel. The weight keeps the dot sight on target from shot to shot. It is a bit slow to index because of the weight.

20140616_204213_zpsb5877f9b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Then last year, I got an idea. Why not build a compensated pistol that is also light. The comp will keep recoil down and the weight will help speed up transitions.

I ended up with this. Its a 22/45 Lite with a Miculek comp, a Power Custom trigger kit, a mag safety delete bushing, and a Bushnell TRS-25 dot sight. I love this gun. It runs great, and recoils less than the 25 year old Mk II even though it weighs half as much. Its not the prettiest thing, but it works. Shooters who do much better than I do have tried this gun and all have been amazed at how good it is. There's about $650 in it.

Last edited:
I have a Mark II bull barrel and it shoots great. I've always wanted a S&W model 41 but have never had the budget for one.

Mark iii hunter is more accurate I have both and my guess it's due to the hunter having a longer barrel.

The SR22 is great and it will shoot every brand of ammo made but it really is a plinker.

Last edited:
If you are going retro, its hard to miss the High Standard target versions. The old ones were made right in Hamden, CT

high_standard_supermatic.jpg

Just a clarification. Thats not my High Standard. Unfortunately. I just pulled the pic off the Internets.

Last edited:
I had the sr22 and liked it but then I got a MKII target model. Traded the sr22 because I never shot it anymore.

my SW model 41 makes me appear to know how to shoot.... someday I will try it at a steel shoot ?
MKIII hunter is my secound best of the 22s I have.

Get a mark iii or a 22/45. Extremely accurate and reliable. Then you can always put a volquartsen acurizing kit in it and it'll be even more accurate.

I have owned and used Walther p22, Sig M and M&P 22 .... I love the SR22 it will shoot anything... Sig M keep it clean 50 rds...
The Walther sold it as soon as I could... The SR22 out shoots all of them... The only 22 I like better Hi Standard model 107 but that is not any where the same

Just out of curiosity, how old is your 41?
im not to sure its the 7 3/8 barrel with weights and comp pre 1978 i think. Great little gun and has fed everything I put through it... Everyone who shoots this pistol loves it.

Ruger MKIII... Have one that's way more accurate than I am and love it. Takedown is a pita the first few times until you get used to it, but it eats everything I've fed it.

Back
Top Bottom