• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

handloads newbie

So I started loading my own ammo 10mm right now. 135 grain rained bullets hot as hell. And I finally got to take them for a spin. I am amazed at the accuracy I got from them. I totally cheaped out Lee hand press cheapest powder primers cases and bullets. And if I did my part I shot incredible groups with them.

So I ask the braintrust. Is this normal? Or was I so scared I was going to blow an appendage off that I focused on mechanics more? And any suggestions to make life easier. I'm not ready to step up to a full set up yet.

So I started loading my own ammo 10mm right now. 135 grain rained bullets hot as hell. And I finally got to take them for a spin. I am amazed at the accuracy I got from them. I totally cheaped out Lee hand press cheapest powder primers cases and bullets. And if I did my part I shot incredible groups with them.

So I ask the braintrust. Is this normal? Or was I so scared I was going to blow an appendage off that I focused on mechanics more? And any suggestions to make life easier. I'm not ready to step up to a full set up yet.
Let us know how your second range experience with your reloads turns out. I think everyone is nervous about their reloads for a while when starting out. Fear is a good motivator to not take unnecessary risks. Make sure you're using powder and other components that are appropriate for the caliber you are loading. Use load data from manuals. Don't improvise!!!

Never had a problem with my first handloads 45 years ago but I'm the type if I decide to do "X" and it's in my skill set I do my home work.
Now a days that means Google,Yahoo etc,in 1971 it meant buy a reloading manual and read it until you understood everything the manual said. Reloading is not rocket science but it's not a process for dummies.

Emphasis added.

Just to be clear... You used actual loading data from a trusted source for grain weight of powder, closed-overall-length, grainweight of projectile, etc?
You didn't just scoop some random powder into a case and crimp a bullet on?

Yeah hogdon powder and their manual. Just instead of cci Serbia and bellot primers I didn't try cooking up my own powder lol. But really was amazed because everything I read says your first batch sucks.

Pleased to report all fingers and firearm intact. 50 rounds of 9mm reloads went off without a hitch. My groups weren't amazing, but I had all shots in a standard NRA slow pistol target circle at 30', I believe this will improve with less coffee in my system and faith that I'm not about to lose a hand with every trigger pull.

Yeah hogdon powder and their manual. Just instead of cci Serbia and bellot primers I didn't try cooking up my own powder lol. But really was amazed because everything I read says your first batch sucks.

Which hodgdon powder? Just curious.

Beyond the ability to save a bunch of cash (and /or shoot more), reloading is a rewarding hobby on it's own. You will learn allot. That said, it comes with it's own risks.
ALWAYS verify that your powder type and load, head, overall length are documented as safe somewhere. Changing just one of these variables in in a small way can have dangerous results.
Go slow, check twice and assume nothing.

Which hodgdon powder? Just curious.

Cfe for 10 gunna give tite group a shot in my 40s

- - - Updated - - -

Idk when I was getting the stuff to start the guy says to me your first rounds are expensive scary and they generally suck. But I shot out a Bullseye off hand at 10 yards. I'd say that's pretty accurate for the first time ever shooting 10mm left handed

- - - Updated - - -

Idk when I was getting the stuff to start the guy says to me your first rounds are expensive scary and they generally suck. But I shot out a Bullseye off hand at 10 yards. I'd say that's pretty accurate for the first time ever shooting 10mm left handed

Yeah I've never heard people say that your first reloads will suck or be inaccurate. My first reloads were 357 magnum and they were pretty darn accurate. Kinda hard to not get accurate results with pistol loads if you follow the load manual and use decent bullets. Rifle on the other hand is a slightly different animal.

Did you work a load up, or just immediately load to book maximum?

I push 10mm well over published maximums in my G20L, but I always work up and keep an eye out for pressure signs. I'm not necessarily nervous with any of the loads. 800-X is an awesome powder in this cartridge. Same with Power Pistol and AA7.

I think the first ammo I ever made was some M193 clone stuff, and I recall being a bit worried that I screwed something up, but the more stuff I learned and loaded, the more confident I got.

- - - Updated - - -

I use CFE pistol for my .45, 357sig and light .44mag loads. Seems to be pretty clean and I noticed pretty accurate too.

I pushed the 10 a bit. Kinda my nature nothing thermo nuclear. Just up around 1650. I need to invest in a glock so I don't care if I f up the gun with hot loads

I have not done as much reloading as others here but my reloads have always been as good as what I could buy. This is very unlike when I started making my own beer lol.
The only issues I have had is once in a while I get a case that didn't seat right but still passes the sizer tester. They usually will just give a feed issue.

I pushed the 10 a bit. Kinda my nature nothing thermo nuclear. Just up around 1650. I need to invest in a glock so I don't care if I f up the gun with hot loads

So the first hand loads you ever made were over book max? [shocked]

If so, that's not really smart, ever. Don't start at book max for any load. You work up to it to see how that particular batch of powder responds to your particular chamber.

So the first hand loads you ever made were over book max? [shocked]

If so, that's not really smart, ever. Don't start at book max for any load. You work up to it to see how that particular batch of powder responds to your particular chamber.

Yeah it sounds like the OP may want to take a class?...[grin]

I'd be more concerned about losing a finger or two than damaging my guns...

Back
Top Bottom