Handgunsafe review

I recently picked up a model 4811-S Handgun Safe from http://www.handgunsafe.com/4811s.htm. The goal was to have a small safe in the master bedroom that would protect a house gun (Sig P226 9mm) from unauthorized use while providing quick and easy access in time of need.

This safe is built like a tank - 1/4 inch steel all the way 'round, foam padded interior and a mechanical push-button simplex lock (no batteries). I can open the safe in seconds in low light. It can be bolted horizontally or vertically using the included mounting kit noone's going to be walking off with it. It does provide easy access to a single handgun. A second one could be tucked in back but would necessitate removing the front to get to the rear. So not practical for storage of multiple guns but very practical for a quick access container.

It gets a thumb's up from me.

Looks pretty sturdy. How hard is it to press the buttons in the dark? Is it made in USA? I'm annoyed that my GunVault is made in China.

Very easy to press the buttons in the dark (as long as you can differentiate between a horizontal row of 5 buttons) and it is made in the USA.

I actually small safe at Kmart that can be mounted both floor or wall. Mine is mounted to the wall and a shelf that is secured to the studs. It would take a good while for someone to remove it.

This is my room safe.

Digital push button with key back up.

works for me an was under $75.

I've got a v-line with the simplex lock buttons on top. I can open it in no light. I used a combo that would be remembered better by feel. Very nice system. Wish the buttons were more quiet though.

I have the Smith & Wesson versa vault, I got is on sale at A&G for $99 in 2004, I don't think S&W makes it (or sells it more accurately) anymore but I did find someplaces online with it:

Versa Vault

It is a very good design, except for one major flaw. When the batteries get low you get a warning but before that when they are just "kinda low" there is no warning and the keypad still works but it opens up in an anemic fashion. The lock does not open crisply and then then hydraulic arms don't seem to go fast it just kind of half opens. With fresh batteries it pops up with authority presentin the gun to you nicely. It is also easy to feel the buttons in the dark and they give off a low light once you touch one. If I remember to change the batteries every few months it is not a problem but I am thinking about getting a strickly mechanical one to prevent any problems at a cricitcal momemt. I may also be part of the problem by loading it up with a tactical light/ red dot attached to the pistol (SW99 .45) and a spare mag. If the pistol is by itself the safe opens a little faster but I want that light and spare mag in there so maybe I should try a new safe.

Back
Top Bottom