• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handguns returned from Police Storage

There is a possibility that a couple of handguns that were stolen from my Brother have surfaced, and over the years, made their way back to the town's "property" room. Long story short, three handguns were taken from his safe during a break in, and at least two surfaced during arrests. He told me that the police station actually told him there are two of them at the station, and perhaps they might be released. The problem is, my brother's LTC is LONG expired and he lives in a RED town. I would imagine that the police station could easily release them to me (LTC-A) right? Would I have to pay some kind of transfer fee? Would the police station do it direct to me, or through a FFL??

score one for the good guys! These two handguns (Smith and Wessons, a 686 and a .45) were confiscated from some scumbag!

Pretty sure those are both outlawed in Mass now, you'd better have them transferred to me for safe keeping!

In all seriousness, grats on getting some of them back, hope the last one shows up soon(and not in a bad way)

You should be able to get them released. In this state, you are unlikely to get them without going through a dealer if the owner isn't the one receiving them 1. Contact your fav dealer and explain the situation, make sure he is willing to go pick up the guns and do the transfer. 2. Have your brother write a letter stating he wants the guns released to the dealer. Give copy to dealer. 3. Have brother call the cops and say he wants the guns released to the dealer and the dealer will be calling to set a time for pickup. If they are polite then discussing who they are going to is friendly, but it is none of their concern strictly speaking. Many dealers handle things like this regularly and should be able to help. Many towns will be very polite and considerate, some will be grumpy about it but acquiesce if the owner or dealer approach it firmly, others will fight you.

The cops may want your brother to stop by in person. Do not ASK for the guns back. They are your brother's property, if the cops are done with usual evidence needs, they should give them back to the owner. If the cops bring up the permit issue, state that the dealer will be handling their lawful transfer in accordance with your brothers wishes.

+1, I've personally seen the way some of these are stored. Think of cordwood... but not stacked quite as nice.

I was arrested by some scumbag criminal New Haven police back in 1990. I was coming back from a day of shooting with my dad. An undercover saw a shotgun uncased in the back seat (perfectly legal in CT) and I was the subject of a "felony stop".
Once they figured out I didn't break any laws they hit me with the standard all purpose charge. Breach of peace. The arresting officer said my S&W 6906 was on the dashboard, not where it actually was, in a holster on my hip.

They took my Remington 1100 special trap, my Glock 17, Ruger MKII, and my 6906. When I got the stuff back after all charges were dismissed. (Not nolle'd. Dismissed) The remington's beautiful stock was beat to crap. They also "lost" my Glock mags. (funny, since the 17 was the issue sidearm for the NHPD) It took an IA complaint and threats of a lawsuit for the mags to appear and for me to be financially compensated for the damage to the Remington.

Sorry, but this just brought up bad memories.

I was arrested by some scumbag criminal New Haven police back in 1990. I was coming back from a day of shooting with my dad. An undercover saw a shotgun uncased in the back seat (perfectly legal in CT) and I was the subject of a "felony stop".
Once they figured out I didn't break any laws they hit me with the standard all purpose charge. Breach of peace. The arresting officer said my S&W 6906 was on the dashboard, not where it actually was, in a holster on my hip.

They took my Remington 1100 special trap, my Glock 17, Ruger MKII, and my 6906. When I got the stuff back after all charges were dismissed. (Not nolle'd. Dismissed) The remington's beautiful stock was beat to crap. They also "lost" my Glock mags. (funny, since the 17 was the issue sidearm for the NHPD) It took an IA complaint and threats of a lawsuit for the mags to appear and for me to be financially compensated for the damage to the Remington.

Sorry, but this just brought up bad memories.
****ers.

Back
Top Bottom