• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Handguns for private sale not on "the list" = mark up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand that the rarer hand guns are marked up around 25 -30 percent in MA but some people are asking OBSCENE prices!!!!!!!!!

I just saw someone asking double what a certain rare pistol is going for in the classifieds. Is it me or does this piss you off?

It's the "state" we live in. Either get your legislature to fix it, support those who are taking legal action to fix it, accept it as status quo, or move.

It only brothers me when the same super overpriced gun is bumped dozens of times with no reduction. But even then, it doesn't drive me nuts or anything.

They can price them as they want. If it sells at a high price more power to them. I wont overpay for a gun and I think most others wont.

Nope, in fact I love the high-ballers (is that even a phrase) since they scare people away like yourself in disgust, you can usually pick it up cheap after the gun sits for a few days/weeks/months!

Chris

They can price them as they want. If it sells at a high price more power to them. I wont overpay for a gun and I think most others wont.

This. It's like people selling overpriced ammunition. It's their business and the business of the people willing to pay the asking price. Hit the "back" button and move on.

I can typically find almost any handgun - even here. You expect to pay a mark up- sure. I understand the concept of capitalism but I still think that you should put a reasonable limit on what you are asking.

Now that I have your attention. I am selling a Beretta Nano for 1100 bucks- who wants it?

Keep in mind that many of the non-compliant pistols sold here were bought (here or at gunshots) at a premium price. When the seller realizes it may not be worth what they paid, or simply just want another gun they want to get as much of their money back as possible.

There's a used handgun for sale here in the classifieds. It's a gun that's on the list, and available new in gun shops. The asking price is $50 over MSRP, or about $150 more than the going rate in shops for a new gun. It made me laugh, but I didn't get upset about it.

The ones that crack me up are the overpriced AR ads that say something like, "I have $XXXX into it, so I'm not going to accept anything less".

There's also a way you tell if something is going to be overpriced just by looking at the title. Look for the words "with extras". That's code for 'overpriced".

With that said, I don't begrudge anybody getting whatever they can for their guns. In some cases, I greatly admire their persistence.

ETA: My favorite ad of all time was the guy that was selling his used Thunderwear - and it wasn't even a joke.

Last edited:
I know what you mean, but I wouldn't exactly call what we're talking about a "free" market. Government regulation has artificially constrained the market giving people with access to supply an opportunity that would not have been present without said government interference.

Exactly, it's not a remotely free market because the entire market is restricted and controlled by the government of the state. So "free market" makes no sense as a defense, they're jacking up the price BECAUSE of government bullshit.

If people want to try and charge 100-200 dollars more, whatever, but they have no right to bitch when no one wants to buy it. I see it a lot in the classifieds.

if you're not willing to pay, you don't have to buy it. i know i have paid more for a couple of firearms, just because they were readily available.

How many times are we going to have this thread? If you don't like the price, don't buy it. QED.

Its simple if you don't want to pay the price don't. Look around the guns are available, do your homework or pay high prices not to.

EXACTAMUNDO... If I were a cop, due to this ridiculous rule, I could buy four Glocks a year and sell them privately for double what they are worth..??.. Bullsh*t.

I know what you mean, but I wouldn't exactly call what we're talking about a "free" market. Government regulation has artificially constrained the market giving people with access to supply an opportunity that would not have been present without said government interference.

- - - Updated - - -

That is exactly what I do but it can still be irritating knowing a person is taking advantage of the AG's regs.
Its simple if you don't want to pay the price don't. Look around the guns are available, do your homework or pay high prices not to.

EXACTAMUNDO... If I were a cop, due to this ridiculous rule, I could buy four Glocks a year and sell them privately for double what they are worth..??.. Bullsh*t.

- - - Updated - - -

That is exactly what I do but it can still be irritating knowing a person is taking advantage of the AG's regs.
People take advantage of us all the time if we let them. Look at the EBT cards.

Last edited:
I have no problem with it. My state sucks. If I want a gun I am not allowed by MRSA Croakley, I have to pay or change the state. Paying the money is cheaper and easier.

I like finding the ads of guns that are allowed to be sold here and there asking more then buying it new.
I get great joy in sending them links lol . The best was a guy asking 150$ more then a shop that was over charging it.
I sent the dude a pic of 5 new sr1911 for 200$ less then he was selling them .
The person just added 2 extra mags with "mags have been tested to run in this gun" no price drop lol .

attachment.php

Attachments

• Supply-and-Demand-Graph.png
    Supply-and-Demand-Graph.png
    10 KB · Views: 193
As much as I'd love to bitch too when I see a gun I really want, but can't afford due to the scalping, I'm also happy at the same time to see how well my own investments hold their value. I think that with the exception of real estate and precious metals, firearms and ammo are some of the surest investments going AND you can still enjoy them in the meantime. Just another way to look at it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom