Handgun storage

Well, bought a new safe, it was installed last week. SHOUT OUT to Eastern Security Safe! Anyway, putting things away... Need more/better handgun storage. Don't really like the barrel rod storage idea. Don't really like the upside down racks. Kinda like the slotted, upright, rest on the base and barrel style in their own little slots.

Everything from a Mustang 380 to a Super Redhawk 44mag 7 1/2".

Suggestions? Other styles I might have missed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Check out the Benchmaster Weapon Rack. They are the best solution I have found and are good quality plastic and closed cell foam. My small safe fits the 4-pistol ones up the side but they come in 4,6,8 and 12 on Amazon.

I use them with a range of pistols similar to yours, Radtekk. The depth of your storage area and anything that shares that space that might be hanging on your safe door (check out Acorn velcro backed pistol sleeves, if you can find them) are the only limiting factors in my experience. A longer TC Contender, for example, wouldn't fit the depth of my safe.

The Benchmaster has higher separating plates keeping pistols from contacting each other.

Last edited:
My larger safe came with a handgun door hanger which I really like, my smaller one did not but you can get one for $99 ouch. However they work really well and the back of the door seems wasted storage space.

Here is my solution from a thread in 2014:

I have had a Browning Medallion safe for nearly 20 years. The floor had warped and I decided to replace it. In order to do it right, I had to remove the side shelves. I stripped off the old carpeting and cut two new pieces for the floor. I then replaced the original carpet. I left the full width top shelf in place but I didn’t want to replace the four side shelves. They restricted air flow from the Golden Rod and they were pretty much useless for storing the handguns. I wanted to store them on the safe door. I checked online sources and found that safe door organizers were expensive and didn’t hold many guns so I decided to make something better. I went to Lowes and found the Rubbermaid Fastrack organizer. I got:
1 - [FONT=&amp]48" FastTrack Rail: [/FONT](#5G76), [FONT=&amp]4 - Multi-Purpose Hook: [/FONT](#5E11), And a package of #12 ¾” sheet metal screws. The whole package cost right around $50.00. Each hook can hold up to five handguns but some of the larger ones needed more space...

http://www.rubbermaid.com/category/p...nizationSystem

I cut the FastTrack rail into two 21 inch long pieces using a Dremel tool. I then cut the cover into two 21.5 inch pieces so that they would extend past the rail on both sides.
I removed the safe door inner wall using a T25 Torx bit. (I didn’t want to blindly drill into the wall as I didn’t know exactly what was behind it and I didn’t want to get metal bits inside the door.) I measured down so that the loaded hooks would clear the top shelf when the door closed. I used a square and scribed two lines for the mounting screws. I drilled the holes and used eight screws in each rail. I found that the outer two interfered with the door mechanism so I removed them.

I positioned the hooks far enough in from the sides so that they would not hit as the door closed and then I placed the pistols so that everyone was happy (and the door closed).

Note: the safe has to have enough space near the door so that the handguns do not hit the long guns. My rifles are closely packed along the back wall (rear half) of the safe.
The whole project was done in a few hours.

Bought one of the hyskore racks, the modularity and the ability to "cut to fit" appeal to me. We'll how it pans out.

I like the design of the manaboutracks but couldn't find dimensions. Have to see what happens with the hyskors and go from there.

The safe is a Browning per the owners info, labeled for ESS as a Green Mountain Boys safe, 49 gun capacity. The racks and shelves are modular and completely configurable so we'll see what fits and how. So far I'm pretty pleased.

The door organizer is about a 4 on a 1-10 scale, that is DEFINITELY getting replaced soon. Not ESS's fault, that's what it came with, I don't love it.

I have two of these in the safe. https://www.amazon.com/SnapSafe-Sto...F8&qid=1502109799&sr=8-6&keywords=pistol+rack

Just out of curiosity, why don't you like them? I also use those PVC barrel rod hangers. Seem to work fine and they don't appear to damage anything.
It's not damage I'm concerned about. They just don't look like the gun goes on it far enough, especially compact like Shields or Lady Radtekk's G26. And my GP100's make them sag.

I have one arriving via big brown truck today:) Interesting. How is it coated to protect the firearms?
There's a vinyl coating on it. It seems to treat them pretty well. Of course, I keep mine in pistol rugs too, which I'm sure someone is about to tell me is awful for reasons of rust or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom