Handgun Storage

Is it safe (for the finish) to store a pistol in the foam lined plastic case it came in new??

I have several in the cases then the cases stacked inside a safe but noticed there was an oily coating on a couple after sitting for a few weeks. Maybe I over did it when I cleaned and oiled them or is it something else?

Should I use the cases for nothing but transporting them to and from the range? I was trying to organize one of my safes and now I fear for guns.

The foam doesn't retain any moisture so if it is just the gun oil I've wiped on there shouldn't be a problem...right?

Right, but you maybe would want to take them out and let them rest on a little gun rack. I'm not an expert but I like my guns to breath. Put some silica packs in your safe if you don't allready have some. I have a 15 gallon de-humidifier in my gun room which is a walk in closet in the basement and I dump that sucker every day. Moisture is the worst nightmare but a little extra oil is not going to hurt.

Personally I just use the cases for transport. I don't think the foam in the case would cause anything like holster wear.

For storage, I have racks in the safes and a goldenrod in each. Every couple of weeks I'll pull one I haven't used in a while and give it good once over.

I know S&W has some kind of paper in the boxes also. I guess the paper is to keep any excess oil from getting in the foam.

I got sack ups from Midway usa a couple of years ago. Their thick soft grey sacks that look like socks and are treated with silicone. They have a draw string and a tag to write on to let you know whats in each one.

Their great all you have to do is clean you gun and put them away. I've taken guns out of them that havn't seen the sun in months and never found a problem.

I take them to the range and put the sack up on the bench clear the gun and put it back in before walking back to the range bag.

Midwayusa is having a sale on them right now.

I store most of my pistols in plastic foam lined cases with no corrosion problems. I aslo use soft rugs and storage "socks" from Brownells. The only problem I ever had was a soft pistol rug. My beautiful High Standard Supermatic Trophy Model rusted badly in one. I can only assume that I got a "bad rug" with some moisture in it. This experience has made me check on all of my guns more frequently to catch this type of problem before it gets bad.

Some people have had weird shit happen to their guns from foam lined
cases. Seems to occur more often in humid locales and in long term
storage.

IMO You'd be better off storing them in breathable gun socks in your
safe than the foam boxes, for any extended period of time. The foam
can trap moisture and cause some weird corrosion.

-Mike

I got sack ups from Midway usa a couple of years ago. Their thick soft grey sacks that look like socks and are treated with silicone. They have a draw string and a tag to write on to let you know whats in each one.

Their great all you have to do is clean you gun and put them away. I've taken guns out of them that havn't seen the sun in months and never found a problem.

I take them to the range and put the sack up on the bench clear the gun and put it back in before walking back to the range bag.

Midwayusa is having a sale on them right now.

+1

Back
Top Bottom